Views and debates on climate change policy
Home | Panelists | Staff Blog | RSS

Bill McKibben
Author

Bill McKibben

Bill McKibben wrote the first book for a general audience on global warming in 1989. A scholar in residence at Middlebury College, he has written a dozen more books, and leads the organization of global climate change protests. ALL POSTS

Losing the battle

Q: April 22 marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, the launching point for America's modern environmental movement. To what extent has the U.S. delivered on the vision of Earth Day's founders, and where has the modern environmental movement gone wrong?

40 years in, we're losing badly. The lack of action for two decades on climate is proof. Maybe we should go back and organize the way folks did in 1970 -- we're trying our best to do a modern version of that at 350.org

By Bill McKibben  |  April 19, 2010; 9:18 AM ET Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: How clean is clean enough? | Next: Think carbon and nitrogen

Comments

Please report offensive comments below.

jblast - i don't know about your analysis, i'd try to squeeze the "I bought a pet rock" crowd in there somplace.

Posted by: termiteavenger | April 23, 2010 2:32 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Under the light of truth, the green movement has turned into a bowel movement.
But this is what happens when the wacko leftist radicals get hold of legitimate environmental concerns for their agenda.

The 5 Most embarrassing decisions made by Ameicans.

1, I bought an Edsel
2, I bought Bennie Babies to make a fortune
3. I believed the Global Cooling Hoax
4, I believed the Global Warning Hoax
5. I voted for Obama

Posted by: jblast2000 | April 23, 2010 2:27 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I plan to celebrate Earth day like I do every year by unceremoniously dumping all those McDonalds wrappers and styrofoam cups down I-95 on my way home.

Posted by: luca_20009 | April 22, 2010 12:32 PM
Report Offensive Comment

What good is Earth Day when man; in it's foolish folly continues to overpopulate; the #1 problem of the world and the one by which all others stem.

If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em.

I feel sorry for everybody under 40.

In the meantime; I'n going to go chop a tree right now!!! (lol)

Posted by: manfromthefuture | April 22, 2010 8:30 AM
Report Offensive Comment

The air and water is much cleaner than 40 years ago. Lake Erie is not catching on fire, and belching smoke is not rising far in the distance in Gary, Indiana as it was then. So, there has been tremendous progress, and sometimes it just seems environmentalists in the extreme could be manufacturing crises today.

Posted by: jack71 | April 22, 2010 8:06 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I suggest a sailing regatta to the North Pole this summer as the ice melts away. You could get great promotional videos of drowning polar bears to appeal to the animal lovers.

Or maybe you should wait a year or three since the ice isn't really melting and the polar bears are doing just fine.

The real shame is that people like you diverted billions of dollars and your credibility into CO2 based fantasies. A focus on reducing dependence on foreign oil, stopping the actual (mercury, sulfur, nitrogen) pollution from coal fired power plants, reducing nitrogen/phosphorous based pollution of the waterways etc. would have found real support and made a real difference.

Even if your wildest fantasies about palm trees in London due to CO2 come true, nothing will be done about it. People in the colder climates will be pleased with warmer winters and people in warmer climates will adjust the same way that they did during the Roman and Medieval warm periods. The more probable scenario for harmful climate change is an ice age, and there is plenty of evidence that our earth experiences them at 100,000 year intervals...

Posted by: AGWsceptic99 | April 20, 2010 6:25 PM