Ease the Pain
There is really no "right" way of downsizing. But there are a few ways of easing the pain:
1. Help the victim find a new opening.
2. Continue their health insurance for at least a year.
3. Help prepare the downsized cohort group get prepared -- i.e. provide tuition for a training program where suitable jobs are still available.
4. Provide short-term counseling program for victims and family.
5. Do it with as much respect as possible -- that is, face-to-face discussions with those being laid off. A terrible example is Radio Shack, which reportedly emailed or telephoned its employees to deliver the bad news.
6. For long-term employees, extend benefits and appropriate severance pay to provide time and resources to obtain a new position.
7. Give assurances that the company will welcome them back when conditions improve.
Unfortunately, I don't know of companies that do downsizing "well."
The comments to this entry are closed.