On Leadership
Video | PostLeadership | FedCoach | | Books | About |
Exploring Leadership in the News with Steven Pearlstein and Raju Narisetti

Andrea Useem
On Leadership producer

Andrea Useem

Andrea Useem is the producer of On Leadership.

Poll: Do Awards Help Leaders?

By Andrea Useem

|  October 9, 2009; 7:20 AM ET
Category:  Polls Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: The Generous Listener | Next: A Confluence of Traits

Comments

Please report offensive comments below.

I'm sorry, I thought this was the organized gang blog from On Faith.

My bad...

Posted by: backspace1 | October 12, 2009 8:49 AM
Report Offensive Comment

I got tired of looking at the College Diploma's hanging on the office walls from the educated.

I framed unit and training patches and placed them on the wall.

You'd be surprized at the effect it had.

Left them there for a few months,to shut them up... then got rid of all of them with the exception of unit patch.

Posted by: backspace1 | October 12, 2009 8:48 AM
Report Offensive Comment

Humans can not predict the future. It's amazing to me how many people waste time on such speculation.

Does he deserve it? I don't know; who among us is qualified to decide what we deserve? "Judge not, that you not be judged." I'm very pleased with the change in our nation's foreign policy since he took office, and apparently so are the people who award the Nobel Peace Prize.

Posted by: patriot17 | October 9, 2009 9:47 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Some deserve awards although I can't think of any. However, I can think of plenty that deserve jail for what they've done to the American people, the United States and the rest of the world.

Posted by: rcubedkc | October 9, 2009 6:05 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Would this question be asked if Obama looked like previous Presidents?

Posted by: agnesswanjo | October 9, 2009 1:12 PM
Report Offensive Comment

a politician getting an award is like getting a holiday card where someone donates money to a charity, in their name of course, not yours...

Posted by: DwightCollins | October 9, 2009 1:02 PM
Report Offensive Comment

More often than not leaders accept awards on behalf of their organizations and employees. That recognition is invaluable.

Posted by: Reader4 | October 9, 2009 12:54 PM
Report Offensive Comment

Do Awards Help Leaders? Maybe input and feedback is needed more than awards. But then again, the awards might just be that!

Posted by: Chris_BWI1 | October 9, 2009 12:40 PM
Report Offensive Comment

How about "It depends on the leaders"? Most corporate leaders are generously recognized with obscenely high salaries for their work and giving them awards overlooks that they aren't the ones doing the heavy lifting. In government and the non-profit sector, where leaders aren't so well remunerated, giving them public recognition often does accelerate their work.

Posted by: jlhare1 | October 9, 2009 10:30 AM