THE QUESTION

Finding your way

In honor of recent graduates: When you finished your schooling, did you know what you wanted to do in life? How long did it take to find a job that "fit" you? Are you still in your original field?

Posted by Success Editors on June 21, 2010 12:00 AM
FROM THE PANEL

Almost famous

I became a department head at a Fortune 500 company at age 27. My next stop? I became a professional stand-up comedian.

Posted by Garrison Wynn, on June 23, 2010 5:01 PM

Accidental entrepreneur

It's usually impossible to foresee where our choices and decisions lead us ... and they usually lead us somewhere vastly different than where we anticipated.

Posted by Marissa Levin, on June 22, 2010 2:45 PM

Never give up

In 1981, I left the security of the federal government. I had a dream for a national Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Placing these names on Washington's Mall became was an personal obsession. This was my mission above all else in life.

Posted by Jan Scruggs, on June 21, 2010 6:32 PM

A perfect surprise

Just out of college, I never would have predicted that I would become the CEO of the largest limousine service in Washington, D.C. However, this is the perfect job for me.

Posted by Kristina Bouweiri, on June 21, 2010 5:59 PM

Explore, and listen

I've learned the only way to find out what I'm really good at and where I add the most value is to explore.

Posted by Misti Burmeister, on June 21, 2010 12:01 AM

Career coincidence

The best preparation for success lies in seizing opportunities to learn new things every day. What's most important is not what I learned in school, but how I keep learning to meet the challenges I could not have imagined even five years ago.

Posted by Patricia McGuire, on June 21, 2010 12:00 AM

An unexpected journey

To anyone dumped into this tight job market: Imagine yourself happy, engaged and energized by your work. Take the best job you can find and commit yourself to doing it well. Solve the group's problems and make its goals your own.

Posted by Hile Rutledge, on June 21, 2010 12:00 AM

Find your anchor

First I was an English teacher. Then I was a training manager and later, a human resources director. Then I got a doctorate in organizational psychology. Now I teach graduate school and coach, counsel, and consult. Notice something about all of these jobs?

Posted by Virginia Bianco-Mathis, on June 21, 2010 12:00 AM

Variety is a lot more fun

People are often surprised when they learn I have two separate careers -- as a lawyer and as a movie critic. But I love switching back and forth. And I especially love the exuberance of starting over in a completely different field.

Posted by Nell Minow, on June 21, 2010 12:00 AM

Trust yourself

Whose voices are you listening to? What is a truth about your career that you are not hearing? What would you be doing in your life right now if you listened to that truth?

Posted by Jeanine Cogan, on June 21, 2010 12:00 AM

FEATURED COMMENTS

Make a Comment  |  All Comments (0)

Contact Us