THE QUESTION

The 'Ah-hah!' moment

A new book called "Where Good Ideas Come From" concludes that innovations usually occur when ideas from different people "bump against each other" and spawn a winning combination. But have you ever been struck with a great idea of your own making? If so, did it meet with resistance, and did it turn out to be a success?

Posted by Success Editors on October 11, 2010 12:00 AM
FROM THE PANEL

Paths to creativity

While innovation needs the public push/pull of ideas, creativity lives in many places. Successful leadership requires knowing where you are most likely to tap your own creativity.

Posted by Hile Rutledge, on October 12, 2010 5:47 PM

The collaboration of one

I agree that we piggyback on others' ideas to create great innovations. But how often does a committee come up with an idea so innovative that it changes the world?

Posted by Garrison Wynn, on October 11, 2010 5:10 PM

So difficult; so worth it

Even after one person's 'a-ha! moment,' success often comes when an array of people 'bump into each other' and think of new solutions. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial's education center will be unlike anything that has ever been done.

Posted by Jan Scruggs, on October 11, 2010 12:00 AM

A winning concept

I told the trustees 'You're right, we should not spend $10 million on a gym for five women to play basketball. Instead, let's spend $20 million on a destination venue for amateur athletics.' The bigger concept proved more compelling.

Posted by Patricia McGuire, on October 11, 2010 12:00 AM

Inspiration is just a start

I might have had an innovative idea or two in my life, but it didn't go anywhere until I engaged with others in order to 'get it out there' and make it a success.

Posted by Virginia Bianco-Mathis, on October 11, 2010 12:00 AM

FEATURED COMMENTS

catherine3: In my experience, inspiration is a combination of interaction with other people and things that come to me on my own. In fact it is difficul...

Bill_Wade: Ideas can be traded even without personal interactions. One of my methods to spark creativity has been forcing myself to read trade journal...

Make a Comment  |  All Comments (7)

Contact Us