THE QUESTION

Game-changers

As we enter the holiday season, we often look back at the people who helped us get where we are. Who were your "game-changers," and how did they change the way you look at your life and career?

Posted by Success Editors on November 29, 2010 12:00 AM
FROM THE PANEL

Take it easy!

Growing up in Germany, I saw that the typical German had both a strong work ethic and a strong leisure ethic. What this means for me today is that I want both. In fact, it allows me to be more productive.

Posted by Jeanine Cogan, on November 30, 2010 8:56 PM

Growing and learning

Each time I speak, I grow my network and business contacts.

Posted by Kristina Bouweiri, on November 29, 2010 1:07 AM

Growing and Learning

Each time I speak, I grow my network and business contacts.

Posted by Success Editors, on November 29, 2010 12:33 AM

Lifting me up

During my freshman year, I got a cold and went to the student health clinic. I was treated by an elderly black physician. I had never seen a black physician, or felt that I could also become one. It was then that I knew what my life would be about.

Posted by Cleve Francis, on November 29, 2010 12:00 AM

Good, bad and ugly

My mother gave me a great gift that has come back to buoy me in times of stress and trouble ever since. Life is not always easy or fun, and when it is not, you drive on and make the most of it.

Posted by Hile Rutledge, on November 29, 2010 12:00 AM

From misery to marching bands

I won't forget that beautiful day in the woods. Nothing in my research seemed compelling or useful. I felt uninspired and trapped. I needed a new way to contribute to the world.

Posted by Jennifer Tucker, on November 29, 2010 12:00 AM

Change is a constant

As I matured, I learned that game changers are not mere serendipity. Leaders set forces in motion that become the game changers. Good leaders develop skill in seizing the opportunities when change comes along.

Posted by Patricia McGuire, on November 29, 2010 12:00 AM

Redefine yourself

Three game-changers -- an old boyfriend, a mentor, and my husband -- forced me to redefine myself at three different crossroads.

Posted by Virginia Bianco-Mathis, on November 29, 2010 12:00 AM

FEATURED COMMENTS

mdtay11: I see this country devoid of people willing to be mentors. I never had a mentor. When I was younger, not one person presented themselves as...

dsamuels2: My sophomore English instructor. His advice was, "Know how to find and how to use information"....

LevRaphael: I'm a successful author but would never have gotten to this place of 19 books in a dozen languages and international book tours, without my ...

Make a Comment  |  All Comments (8)

Contact Us