On Success Panelists

Archive: May 9, 2010 - May 15, 2010

Teams don't create success

Compromises often produce an outcome that everyone publicly supports but privately criticizes. Like Ronco's Pocket Fisherman, it seems like a great idea, until you realize it just isn't very practical.

By Garrison Wynn | May 13, 2010; 2:03 PM ET | Comments (1)

Nicer than they look?

I recently watched some TV coverage of legislators in Taiwan and the Ukraine throwing punches at one another. So things could always be worse.

By Jan Scruggs | May 13, 2010; 12:01 AM ET | Comments (0)

Work as a team

Now more than ever the American public needs the men and women of Congress to work as a team.

By Cleve Francis | May 13, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

Elegant solutions

In my experience, it is collegiality that has been the key to what I call 'elegant solutions.' What is needed is not just compromise, but actual collaboration.

By Virginia Bianco-Mathis | May 13, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

Washington warriors

Being a Warrior can cause you to see as contentious things that don't have to be. That's what is happening in the bitterly partisan halls of Congress.

By Hile Rutledge | May 13, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

L.O.V.E.

I shudder to think where we might be today if Glenn Beck or Christopher Hitchens had been at the Continental Congress instead of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.

By Patricia McGuire | May 13, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

Action, not reaction

I think that more of Congress has to get in touch with the American people. They say they are but are they really?

By Eric Schaeffer | May 13, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

Good parents/popular parents

Trying to be your kids' 'buddy' will not help you instill values like the importance of academic success and moral behavior.

By Jan Scruggs | May 10, 2010; 3:03 PM ET | Comments (5)

Cutting the net

I have found that children who name one of their parents as their best friends usually end up being more immature. They always know a safety net is waiting for them.

By Eric Schaeffer | May 10, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

First teachers

My mother and I are friends, now, after all these years -- but I still know who's the boss in this relationship!

By Patricia McGuire | May 10, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (3)

Wisdom at the cineplex

A lot of this change in attitude -- parents now being cool again -- is an interesting byproduct of natural generational shifts in values.

By Hile Rutledge | May 10, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (1)

The illusion of real life

Times have changed, but good parenting is still good parenting, and it often involves lessons that are nearly impossible to instill if your aim is to be your child's BFF.

By Garrison Wynn | May 9, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)