On Success Panelists

Archive: July 25, 2010 - July 31, 2010

Take responsibility

My respect and trust for those I work with increases when people take responsibility rather than making excuses.

By Jeanine Cogan | July 29, 2010; 10:46 AM ET | Comments (2)

Injured and immature

As a young upstart, I took two important VPs in their mid 60s out for an evening of fun. They were both missing for the big meeting the next day. Apparently, there is an age limit for drinking shots of Jagermeister.

By Garrison Wynn | July 29, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (3)

Embrace the insight

Analyze all of your mistakes. Talk them through. Embrace the insight and then put it to action.

By Virginia Bianco-Mathis | July 29, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (1)

Jumping the gun

When the big day came, it was a mess. By the end, the group was angrier and further away from team cohesion and change than they had been before the event. I had been a disaster.

By Hile Rutledge | July 29, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

Authentic success

I became much more successful as a leader when I grew comfortable with revealing more of myself in the job, worrying less about pleasing others who were bound to be critics no matter how hard I tried to appease them.

By Patricia McGuire | July 29, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (2)

Mistakes

Mistakes are part and parcel of leadership and human endeavor. Rather than avoid them, strive for continuous improvement and know that blemishes are part of the process.

By Seth Kahan | July 26, 2010; 5:23 PM ET | Comments (5)

Don't rush to judgment

I think I've seen about 10 times more coverage of the Sherrod dustup than I have of a nuclear armed nation in Asia that is threatening to use atomic weapons in the next week or so.

By Jan Scruggs | July 26, 2010; 9:52 AM ET | Comments (6)

A textbook case

It boggles the mind that nobody in Vilsack's office called Sherrod and asked for her side of the story. She was tarred, feathered, and fired without a hearing.

By Virginia Bianco-Mathis | July 26, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (6)

Original sin

Vilsack reversed his firing, Obama called Sherrod to apologize, and even Breitbart and O'Reilly muttered some words. They're like schoolkids called to task by the nuns. Yeah, sorry... until next time!

By Patricia McGuire | July 26, 2010; 12:00 AM ET | Comments (3)