Are You On Facebook?

The Washington Post ran a piece on Thursday about a generation of young users who haven't given in to Facebook peer pressure. What about you? Are you on the popular networking site?

Read the piece.

By Jodi Westrick  |  October 15, 2009; 5:33 PM ET  | Category:  Local , National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Creigh Deeds vs. Bob McDonnell | Next: Good call for Zorn?

Comments

Yes I am and I'm having fun keeping in touch with my real friends all over the world. They're good, honest, intelligent and fun people!

Btw, I think it's silly to have hundreds of "friends."

Posted by: cmecyclist | October 16, 2009 7:05 AM

I don't do MyStalkerSpaceBook services for good reasons. They aren't exactly privacy tools.

Posted by: timscanlon | October 16, 2009 8:53 AM

I live overseas these days, I can keep in touch with my family and friends in the States, let them know what I'm up to.
I can take pictures with my iphone, upload them with the iphone facebook app and that's what I like about it.

I'm a contracting software engineer, I've made lots of friends and acquaintances around the world over the years... you'd be surprised at the number of job offers I've had from people I've known in the business.

I don't play any of the games, I belong to very few groups. I block stuff I don't want to see on my wall, occasionally blocking the posts of friends-of-friends who are too political or too religious.

I ignore about half the friend requests I get. You know, you can't remember everybody.

My use of facebook is very specific. I get what I want out of it.

Posted by: katavo | October 16, 2009 9:18 AM

I use Facebook. It's great for staying in touch with friends and relatives that aren't in the same state or country. When I moved back to the U.S., friends from overseas that I'd lost touch with have found me. I keep in touch with people that share my interests as well. I don't share private info or have anything I would be afraid for anyone to see.

I remove offensive posts and then block that person. It's fun for a bit of time and eventually bores me though. I might visit 1 - 2 times a day one week or once every 2 -3 weeks. There are more interesting things to do.

Posted by: shejoy | October 16, 2009 10:41 AM

My use of FaceBook is very, very specific and limited to interactions with close family.

Posted by: satin4u2 | October 16, 2009 11:08 AM

I'm not on Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter. I don't have a cell phone. I don't want people to "follow" me. [slams door and pulls down shades]

Posted by: seismic-2 | October 16, 2009 12:59 PM

To me, "Social Networking" amounts to nothing more than a monumental waste of time. I don't care where you had breakfast or what you ate. Much of what everyone does on a daily basis, for the most part, is of interest only to one's self; to everyone else, it's a terrible bore. Don't do it, don't want to do it, nver will.

Additionally, my cellphone is NOT my primary means of communication nor my primary source of entertainment; it is, however my portable music player. My calls are, for the most part, necessary plus, they're few and far between. Most of my calls are by wire.

Posted by: ancientdude | October 16, 2009 2:30 PM

I'm on FB, but I don't have a cell phone.

And I have tons of friend invites from people that I have no idea who they are - they sit in pending, cause my policy is only real friends.

Posted by: WillSeattle | October 16, 2009 2:31 PM

Facebook is a site for losers who haven't kept up with their friends, so now don't have a life. On Facebook, you can cower your former acquaintances to be in contact with you because nobody likes to say: "No, I don't want you for my friend!" Probably in high school, you barely knew a person or weren't anywhere near "friends" at all. I joined for a while just to see what it was, and that's what it is! You can learn gossip about people who actually would've never given or gotten the time of day. It's somebody's harebrained idea to make people think they HAVE to belong to it; like starting to smoke in high school so you feel you're cool!! It certainly isn't a site for well-rounded people.

Posted by: Maerzie | October 16, 2009 8:21 PM

I've been invited to join. I wonder why they won't just give me a call.

Posted by: fabricmaven1 | October 17, 2009 12:12 AM

Facebook is what you (and your Facebook friends, of course) make it. I hear a lot of complaints from people that they don't want /need to know what their Facebook friends had for lunch, etc. Sorry, but if that's the only sort of information your Facebook friends are capable of posting, then maybe you just know some really boring people. Facebook for me is just a place where I can keep up with all the fascinating things people I know like to share about their own lives and the world in general: their artwork; links to interesting articles, videos, and websites; music; invitations to film screenings and shows; their thoughts on life. We're simply creative people using Facebook as a communication medium. And we have very active social lives... imagine that. So complain all you want about how boring your Faceebook is. Mine is anything but.

Posted by: busybeelove | October 17, 2009 10:45 AM

I was put off, frankly, by constant emails from Facebook urging me to join. But I wouldn't have anyway. Phones, email, snailmail, photos, lunch, weekends, reunions -- why add a profiteering middleman?

Posted by: texassideoats | October 18, 2009 6:02 AM