Dwindling Redskins fans?

In most cities, a few thousand fans skipping NFL games during a bad season wouldn't be remarkable. But in Washington, the empty seats reported recently at FedEx Field have raised a question long unthinkable in Redskins Nation: Are significant cracks appearing in one of professional football's most rock-solid fan bases? Read more.

By Jodi Westrick  |  October 26, 2009; 11:10 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Health insurance compliance | Next: Your commute

Comments

I gave Danny a decade to figure out the football ownership thing. I have had enough. I will not continue to subsidize such ineptitude. Until management hires a football professional to oversee the architecture of this team I will not spend a dime attending a game, or purchasing any more Redskins merchandise. I love the Burgundy and Gold - I just can't stand the stench of the owner any longer. Fix it and I will be back to support the Skins.

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | October 26, 2009 11:38 AM

Assuming no near miraculous turnaround with a winning record for 2009, then the barometer is whether Vinny is fired at the end of the season. As long as Vinny/Dan keep playing GM, instead of someone who has experience building football teams (they have just spent the last season plus deconstructing the foundation that Gibbs tried to build),then we will just see more of the same mediocrity or worse.

With a real GM there is hope. I can handle a 2-3 year building process, like the Nats are going through now, as long as it is done the right way. But until a true GM is hired, there are a lot of better things to do on nice Sunday afternoons than to watch bad football produced by a dysfunctional organization.

Posted by: hapster | October 26, 2009 12:06 PM

AS a born & raised North Virginian, I have become near-ashamed of my home team. After all this time w/ Snyder in charge, even to the point that Gibbs came & left, there is no excuse for a team with this potential, and history - to be doing this poorly. At this point in time - I'll root for our northern foes, the Ravens. That's a team much younger, yet doing better overall than the Skins have for many years.

Posted by: VAharleygirl | October 26, 2009 12:20 PM

Years ago the moment I saw Danny and his smug face I knew the future would be grim for the team and I distanced myself in every way. Looking back, I think I made the right decision.

Posted by: moemongo | October 26, 2009 12:39 PM

I never was, and never will be until Redskin tickets are truly made available to the general public. So, in that sense it's good that they're bad, because it's bringing that day closer.

Posted by: chinshihtang | October 26, 2009 1:24 PM

I grew up with the Redskins. They have stunk for so long now and The Danny doesn't really give a rats behind so the Skins can stuff it.

Posted by: affirmativeactionpresident | October 26, 2009 1:46 PM

Posted by: affirmativeactionpresident | October 26, 2009 1:54 PM

Well go and cheer for the Ravens... Nah...

Posted by: robinhood2 | October 26, 2009 3:53 PM

This poll leaves a bit to be desired. Anyone who answers anything other than 'yes' is considering switching to following another team (which is tough), or considering not watching football. It's not a simple, 'Yes, they are dead to me' *click-off* affair.

However, am I going to buy Redskins gear? No. Am I going to go to games? No. Am I going to go out of my way to watch the games? No.

I'm not buying the product right now, but that doesn't mean I don't hope the product gets better soon. Isn't that what makes me a fan?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 26, 2009 3:54 PM

Dan Snyder is ther kinda person that gives the Jews a bad name. A greedy, money grubbing, self-centered jerk.

Posted by: almelbe | October 26, 2009 5:54 PM

A few years ago rooting for the Baltimore Thugs would have made me ill. Now that Baltimore Mgt. has a better handle on their players, The Ravens are a team that seems to want to win. The Redskins are a team collecting a huge weekly paycheck. There is a huge difference. I think that if Baltimore can keep the players out of jail and off the front page of gossip sheets, Then the redskins could lose fans to a city just up the road 30 minutes away.

Posted by: -PBL- | October 26, 2009 6:51 PM

I'm a fan for life. That's just how it is.

Posted by: timscanlon | October 26, 2009 7:06 PM

Other than money one choses to spend of their own free will, you are really not harmed by the Skins playing/operating poorly. That being said it is very frustrating to watch them every week lay an egg, BUT I WILL ALWAYS STAY TRUE TO THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!! Remember,"defeat may be victory in disguise, the lowest of ebbs is the turning of the tides" HTTR!

Posted by: csterling05 | October 26, 2009 7:07 PM

Are the Redskins still suing little old ladies over not paying for their season tickets? For the NFL and the Redskins in particular, its all about the dollar. Suing little old ladies who had been Redskins fans for 50 years is dispicable.
They deserve to have empty seats in their stadium. This pleases me.

Posted by: logcabin1836 | October 26, 2009 7:25 PM

Why on God's earth would you be a fan of the Redskins after reading that Washington Post article several months ago about them suing folks over their inability to buy their season tickets? People who have been avid fans of the Redskins for decades have been hauled into court simply because of hard economic times and these fans no longer having the money to pay the sky high prices for season tickets. So go ahead be a "lifelong" fan, but don't dare cross them, or you will wind up in court like hundreds of other fans. The choras shouldn't shout Ra, Ra, Ra.....more like greedy, greedy, greedy.

Posted by: logcabin1836 | October 26, 2009 7:31 PM

Yeah. Sure. I'll remain loyal to the Utes, Apache, Mohicans and the rest of the Indian Nat . . . Wait a minute! You want me to "remain loyal" to an organization that demeans Native Americans by using a derogatory name for their team?
I don't think so. But I've got a name they may want to use instead: The Washington Pale Faces (no disrespect to the black players, you understand).

Posted by: hyjanks | October 26, 2009 8:44 PM

When Snyder cut down those trees, that was it for me. Between his selfishness and the shame of keeping the name Redskins, I've had enough. Someone needs to bring a new team to DC!

Posted by: Whazzis | October 26, 2009 9:19 PM

Danny boy wants to charge $8 for a beer, but doesn't seem to want to provide enough toilets, and even wants to curb tailgating so people have to buy HIS hot dogs.
I'm done being soaked for a ton of money while being provided an awful product.
Give me a different qoner, and I might be back; until then, I'll save my money. Dan can't have any more of mine.

Posted by: jeffc6578 | October 26, 2009 9:28 PM

Few owners are people I'd want to spend five minutes with. But suing the fans was the last straw as far as Snyderputz is concerned.

If Dante wrote today, he'd have to add a new ring to hell for many of the owners and athletes of professional sports, especially in this country...and, we the fans, helped fuel the insanity and greed.

Posted by: MartinZook | October 26, 2009 10:12 PM

A decade of Snyder's milking the fans every possible way while acting out his little boy desires and impulses has devastated the team -- and in turn the fans. He's had more than enough time to change his ways and start treating the fans with respect and detaching himself from the operation of the team.

So, I have "fired" Snyder. I no longer support his fleecing and whims. No ticket purchases. No attedance at games. No watching or listening to the games. I do look at some parts of the WPost reports of games because the pape has spoken the "truth" of Snyder's abuse of the fans, and I make my "firing" known everywhere I have the opportunity to do so.

Oh yes, No "6 Flags" either.

Economic boycotts and non-violent action has had powerful effects. They can get rid of Snyder. A consistently half- or more empty of ticket purchasers stadium will bring down Snyder. It may take a while, but it can and will happen if enough of the fans that Snyder has ripped off and betrayed also "fire" him, and persist in their action. Regardless of whether enough fans join me in "firing" Snyder, I feel better each week that I am not supporting the continuing decline of the Redskins that Snyder has caused.

Posted by: jimb | October 26, 2009 10:57 PM

When Snyder cut Brian Mitchell and signed Deion Sanders, he lost my loyalty. What a classless jerk. Other than the ill-fated hiring of Gibbs, every football move he's made since then reinforces my opinion.

Posted by: mr_bill_10 | October 26, 2009 11:13 PM

It's about pride. There have been bad owners in sports before, and there will be again. He's not 'the judge' from The Natural.
The way it has looked to me since the end of Gibbs Era I, the team does not play with pride. Professional football players dropping passes, missing assignments, blocking poorly, left and right? That's a lack of pride. I don't know if it's the coach, the owner, or the moneyball sports culture of the day.
Other teams have overcome worse situations and played with pride, it's obvious when you see it. I'll give the skins the rest of this year to show me something. Otherwise my loyalties may trickle down a level. It's not hard to find a college team that exemplifies what I am talking about. If it does become hard, I will watch high school. Pride is what sports is about.

Posted by: pcorriga | October 26, 2009 11:34 PM

I have been a Skins fan for four decades. I have supported the in good times and bad. I will be a Washington Redskins fan until I die as will my children. But I will not buy another ticket, jersey, souvenir, etc. as long as Danny-boy is the owner. I don't care if they win every game for the next ten years. What "Schny-DUH" and Cerrato has done to this franchise is criminal.

Posted by: ghostrider1 | October 27, 2009 9:31 AM

I will remain a Red$kin$ fan, but I will probably go underground until "Mr. Daniel M. $nyder" either hires an independent, elite NFL general manager, or sells the team. Underground implies that I will purchase nothing Red$kin$, will not attend games, and will likely give up my precious season tickets (that I waited 18 years for).

Vinnie and "Mr. Daniel M. $nyder" are a collective joke in this city and around the NFL. I am tired of being mocked as a fan because of their shenanigans.

Posted by: AWWNats | October 27, 2009 10:01 AM

I love the Redskins dearly. I like watching the Packers (my wife's from Neenah, WI), but even though the Pack gives me warm fuzzies like the Redskins used to, it's still not the same. I'm condemned to being a Redskin fan, or not a fan of football at all.

Posted by: Meepo | October 27, 2009 10:01 AM

I feel your pain, believe me I do. But let's separate an incompetent owner from a listless, unmotivated franchise team. Since the Snyder era began, countless numbers of solid players have been released or traded for the next "bigger, brighter" name to hit the scene. Snyder has spent millions, maybe billions (who knows) signing new players without any real strategy for how the acquired players will be intergrated into the existing team (what's left of it anyway) and how the acquisition will make the unit (yeah, UNIT) function more efficiently. Dan, you can't buy a team... you have to "build a team" and by build a team, I mean experienced coaches and GMs (not owners) coming together and making strategic decisions about players, their talent and roles.

Posted by: mckenzieda1 | October 27, 2009 10:41 AM