It's Flu Season

Students at some D.C. public schools will be able to get vaccinated against swine flu this month, and inoculations for students are expected to be available citywide in November, according to a plan health officials unveiled this week. Read More

By Jodi Westrick  |  October 1, 2009; 6:44 PM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: The 2016 Olympic Bid | Next: Favorite Metro Line

Comments

Here's a better poll question:

"Are you experiencing peer pressure at work/school to get a flu shot?"

It's unbelievable this year, how much pressure there is to get one! And if you say "NO!" it's like you're a lepper!

Posted by: trambusto | October 2, 2009 7:36 AM

I don't take any prescription medicines unless it is either immediately imperative for saving my life or has been on the market for at least 7 years. Hastily generated vaccines with no track record of either effectiveness or complications are generally at best a waste of time and at worse a danger to my health. After vioxx and the 1976 flu vaccine complications - and learning how drug companies can skew test results to get something on the market - and knowing several people with severe complications to the flu vaccines - I don't take them

I also think that vaccines might have a hand in the rise of chronic disease and when we bypass the immune system we are introducing in unknown substances into the body via injection - great caution should be exercised - not jump on board and hope for the best. Considering the profit driven drug companies all we can be sure of is that it will make someone money not necessarily prevent the flu.

Posted by: roxroe | October 2, 2009 8:16 AM

The one time I got a flu shot I was sick half the year. So I won't be repeating that lovely experience. Enjoying the life we have is more important than worrying about lifespan, so I recommend smoking, drinking, and laughter, lots of laughter; because the number one rule of life is: "it won't last forever." The number two rule is, of course; The wife is always right, always obey the wife.
If the flu don't get ya, someone is bound to drop a school bus on your head.
So please, stop, smell the roses, and scratch where it itches. Enjoy your life.

Posted by: bproulx45 | October 2, 2009 9:15 AM

I'm not going to support the drug industry with their untested products. More harm has been done to children (side effects...eg, autism)because of these vaccine bundles that are encouraged because of their "convenience". Convenience seems to have a horrific price. I will fight the flu naturally with Vitamin C, rest, and chicken soup made from scratch. I've had it with health insurance companies and the drug industry influencing medical decisions and treatment.....enough is enough.

Posted by: brt30 | October 2, 2009 9:43 AM

Hell no, I'm not taking EITHER of those flu shots. Seasonal or swine/h1n1. Do I look like a fool to let somebody inject me with a chemical that hasn't even been thoroughly tested, is causing people to drop like flies and is alleged to be making people actually get H1N1/Swine flu? Well, I'm not. I'll pass. This is all a setup anyway. Buy yourself some silver and gold if you can afford it. We are in the midst of a hostile takeover of our rights and freedoms. Laugh now but cry later...

Posted by: SickofMikeBaisden | October 2, 2009 9:50 AM

Get the facts - You can't get influenza from the influenza vaccine (the virus is not live) - it's just not possible. You can request preservative-free (eg: no thimerisol) vaccines if you are worried about any autism connection (of which there is no scientific evidence after repeated multiple studies). Protect yourself, your family, your community and get immunized. Be a part of the solution. This is not a drug company or government conspiracy.

Posted by: mariaestavez | October 2, 2009 10:05 AM

I may get the shot, depending on what my doctor says. I have never gotten one before, but soon I will be going for an operation and, if it turns out I have cancer, chemotherapy. So it may or may not be a good idea for me to get the shot, I will have to find out.

Posted by: catherine3 | October 2, 2009 1:29 PM

Regular flu shot? Yes.

H1N1? No friggin' way, man.

Posted by: mhoust | October 2, 2009 1:36 PM

I am not eligible for the flu shot at this period of time. Plus, I am one of the "lucky" ones who suffered through one of the worst bouts of Asian flu that happened in the late 50s/61, so am supposed to have some immunity.

Posted by: limpscomb | October 3, 2009 8:07 AM