Swine flu vaccine

By Jodi Westrick  |  October 22, 2009; 8:56 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Dulles Toll Road rates increase | Next: Wall Street pay

Comments

Where's the option for "I already had swine flu so the vaccine would be useless by now"?

Posted by: random-adam | October 22, 2009 9:24 AM

I would never risk my health by getting the swine flu vaccine. For those of you undecided, please check out: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/10/21/Special-Swine-Flu-Update.aspx

Posted by: kco0513 | October 22, 2009 12:11 PM

I would never risk my health by NOT getting the vaccine. The flu sucks enough as it is. Swine flu would be at least as bad, if not deadly.

Posted by: jakemd1 | October 22, 2009 12:52 PM

Before you believe anything from Mercola's website look at this from Quackwatch http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

Posted by: danmcken@gmail.com | October 22, 2009 1:11 PM

Do any Post journalists ask real questions, like, "Has the H1N1 vaccine been proven to be effective and safe for its intended recipients?" Why has not a single double-blind study been completed?

Posted by: larry39 | October 22, 2009 1:17 PM

I would love to get the H1N1 shot but the very limited supply is being rationed by my local health department. This is a good example of government-run health care.

Posted by: Citizen28 | October 27, 2009 9:41 AM

I work with young children, so I usually get the standard seasonal flu shot, but I'm just uncertain enough of the H1N1 vaccine to stay away from it. A substitute asked me about my thoughts but got testy when I told her. I reminded her:

It's usually the teachers who get sick (if they get sick) from the kids, not the other way around.

The pharmaceutical labs have been under so much international pressure to produce something--anything--that the results may be harmful to me or useless.

I've already gotten the standard flu shot so (assuming that works) my usually-high immunity is already boosted.

There are others who may need it more than I do (so I'm not complaining about rationing, CITIZEN28),

and despite what she claimed, it's unconstitutional for anyone to force me to get an unproven vaccine. I wash my hands often, eat well, get plenty of rest, and take some very high-quality comprehensive vitamin supplements anyway. Even when I'm only reacting to high pollen counts, I always cough or sneeze into my sleeve, and I have--and will use--the ample leave time I've accrued if I need it.

I'm aware of all colds and flues going around, I keep watch over my students' health, and though I'm concerned, I refuse to panic. I respect others' views on this, but I don't appreciate others getting pushy with me!

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | October 31, 2009 8:56 AM

My daughters and I got the vaccine today in Alexandria, and since it takes at least a week for the vaccine to kick in, I only wish they could have gotten it sooner and that my husband could have gotten it too.

Fine for all of those of you who would rather spend a week in bed with a high fever, body aches and the rest. More vaccine for the rest of us, especially the kids and the pregnant women!

Posted by: concepcion611 | October 31, 2009 11:01 PM

I'd also like to add that the Alexandria Health Department did an outstanding job of handling the clinic today and that if everyone could have access to this sort of care Blue Cross and the rest would be out of business in a week.

And I'd bet that the same Congressmen who are protesting government health care are making damned sure their high risk loved ones are getting THEIR flu shots!

Posted by: concepcion611 | October 31, 2009 11:02 PM

I would very much like to get the vaccine, as I have a serious chronic lung disease, making H1N1 or any other flu life-threatening. But thanks to all of the bungling, I have been denied access to the vaccine and instead get to play Russian roulette on a daily basis. In the event that I survive this, I certainly will neither forget nor forgive those found to be responsible.

Posted by: lydgate | November 4, 2009 4:36 PM