Your commute

By Jodi Westrick  |  October 27, 2009; 12:58 PM ET  | Category:  Local , National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Dwindling Redskins fans? | Next: Redskins fan signs

Comments

Mine should be 20 minutes. Thanks to the Metro, it's anywhere from 30 to 90.

Posted by: zippyspeed | October 27, 2009 5:13 PM

I am surprised to see the number of people who have commutes of 15 minutes or less -- surprised and envious would be a better description. In this area, few can afford to live near where they work. I guess 26% of respondents are the fortunate few.

Posted by: kalixmd | October 27, 2009 5:25 PM

I am four miles and 8 traffic lights from work - the commute can be anywhere from 8 minutes to 15 (maybe more if there's rain!?!?! or an accident). I am lucky, but we also sought out a home 13 years ago that would be near my husband's work (his commute is shorter than mine). I teach and found work nearby. The best was when I had a 15 minute downhill walk to my neighborhood school. NO driving at all!

We need to explore ways to switch jobs within businesses (like the school system) so we can all be nearer to our homes.

Posted by: vintageva | October 27, 2009 8:07 PM

Is that one way or both ways? My answer would be close to two answers - one way (in) it's about 40 minutes, on the way home it's closer to an hour. Total would be over an hour.

Posted by: indy474 | October 27, 2009 9:06 PM

It takes me 60 to 75 minutes to travel 26 miles one way!

Posted by: tixin | October 27, 2009 9:13 PM

Sorry for the above, but I do think in commute vs. out commute is a relevant issue here in D.C. Ever since I've lived here (30+ years) and people I know agree, going home from downtown in the evening takes longer (as much as 25% longer) than coming in does. As such, I think the poll could be clearer if it means TOTAL commute or just one way (e.g. I might not seem so bad off with a 40 minute commute in, but when you count both ways it's actually nearly two hours total).

Posted by: indy474 | October 27, 2009 9:15 PM

A casual observation of Metro bus and rail riders shows that too many commuters expect the system to deliver them to their desk by 9AM even if they only got out of bed at 830.

Posted by: vinsnash | October 28, 2009 6:42 AM

Leaving Tysons means I can't get on 495 At All and it takes 25-30.

It's a stupid place, where it takes twice as long to go home as it does to go to work, ain't it?

Posted by: MAL9000 | October 28, 2009 7:07 AM

The first part of my comment got cut somehow.... Trying again.

Less than 15 minutes in a perfect world. The idVDOTS in VA closed my entrance to the beltway making me cut through neighborhoods to only increase my time by five minutes, instead of their detour (which adds 20).

Leaving Tysons means I can't get on 495 At All and it takes 25-30.

Posted by: MAL9000 | October 28, 2009 7:08 AM

I have an 11 mile commute on secondary and tertiary roads from western Howard County to Columbia, MD. Commute time is about 18 minutes. If someone offered me a 25% pay increase but told me I'd have to drive an extra hour each way, I would pass on the money.

Posted by: rangman | October 28, 2009 7:46 AM

I live in Ashburn and I had 15 minutes or less a year ago working 8 miles away in Herndon. The company I worked for last year let people go to shrink back their costs for the current economy and I had to go back to government contracting. Now I am in Crystal City and with the drive to the bus station and ride I spend about an hour commuting but riding the bus I can read a book which is cool.

I will get back to a 15 minute ride once the recovery of jobs happens and I can find something close to home; in a year or two is my guess.

In the past I have ranged from 10 minutes to an hour with most jobs being 30 minutes door to door. I never lived where I had to do 66 or 95 on the outer loop side, that is where the worst traffic is.

Posted by: flonzy3 | October 28, 2009 8:03 AM

My morning Metro commute is fairly uneventful. The return Metro commute however is a lesson in survival. From the dangerous overcrowding of the six car trains(I can't see why they don't run 8 Cars after 3:30pm), to the ingnorant, rude, disrespectful, complete animals they call "school kids" I cannot believe that somone hasn't been killed or injured. I have seen people pushed into oncoming trains just to see what would happen(luckily they weren't severely injured or killed) or down escalators. There are rules to riding public transportation. It is unlawful to eat or drink on the buses and trains as well as playing muic without headphones and carrying animals other than service animals. these regulations aren't deterring people from commiting unlawful acts because the uneducated ghettotrash dosen't believe the laws pertain to them. Metro is unresponsive to complaints even when they are losing money due to the violations. people piggyback through the gates or even better, just get the station monkey to open the "FREE GATE" for them.I dispise everything to do with Metro and Cannot believe our Federal money goes to bail them out of their shortfalls. Let the system collapse and then the suburbs will be safe again and the city can keep thier trash from terrorizing the outside.

Posted by: ghostrider1 | October 28, 2009 8:22 AM

My commute from Arlington to Foggy Bottom is roughly an hour to an hour and a half. The incredible length of what *should* be a fairly short commute is compounded by a variety of factors, among them, the fact that the nearest metro station is a fifteen minute walk from work, the fact that I can't afford (yet--waiting on my next promotion) to live near a metro line and so live in the "boondocks" of Arlington even a fifteen minute walk from the nearest bus, and the fact that my bus always gets stuck in horrible Rosslyn traffic. Add it all up (plus waiting for the bus) and you now have an hour-plus commute from Arlington. I cannot *wait* to move somewhere closer in a few months, however even if I were to move right into the middle of Rosslyn, my commute is unlikely to ever be less than a half hour, due to the fifteen minute walk from the metro station down to E St.

Posted by: Eleiana | October 28, 2009 9:11 AM

10 years ago my commute was 90 miles from Martinsburg WV to South Glebe Road. Now it is one mile.

I tried MARC rail out of Martinsburg. It was only just physically doable (5:30 and 6:30 AM trains) for a 4 hour round trip. It was useless trying to sleep on the train. I tried Brunswick MD too. That was also useless.

Greenbelt to Arlington was better, 18 miles by road (Bladensburg Road shortcut from Rt. 1 to NY Ave.), or using the Metrorail.

Anybody knows that the West Glebe/South Glebe/Mt. Vernon triangle is littered with rental units. What used to the called the Portals of Alexandria dominates the skyline. A co-worker highly recommended one. The only thing stopping me from a 15 minute walk, or 10 minute bike ride, is when I actually obey my alarm clock.

The triangle, Arlandria, seems relatively insulated from street crime.

The walkable community features most essentials for modern living. The Arlington Ridge Shopping Center has your (BB&T) bank, ((Gold's) gym, Giant, Blockbuster, veterinarian, pizza joint (Domino's), and a state liquor store. The Mt. Vernon shopping center has a CVS drug store, a Subway sub shop, Vietnamese restaurant, and H&R Block. The strip mall that was constructed in front of Portals in 2000 features an around-the-clock laundromat, another pizza joint (Papa John's), a Chinese restaurant, two hairstylists, and two bodegas. The Potomac Yard strip mall is near the airport about a mile away and has Target, Shopper's Food Warehouse, Staples, and a Regal cinema, among many other businesses.

Experts such as James Howard Kunstler warn us that the extraction rate of oil has peaked and probably will diminish. Competition and demand are only getting warmed up. India and China are only children on the road to mass automobile nationhood and each nation is three to four times as large as ours. The price of oil will have to go up.

If we had any sense we would listen to T. Boone Pickens and see if we could create our own motor fuel (hydrogen? or electric plug in? or a hybrid of the two?) by dissociating the hydrogen atoms from water with an electric current from either wind, solar, or if we had to, nuclear.

And if I had any sense I'd wake up earlier and hoof it.

Posted by: cmarshdtihqcom | October 28, 2009 10:32 AM

What a bunch of whiners. For Christ's sake, take control of your lives. Move out of the area, figure out a way to work from home, move closer to employment centers, etc. Better yet, do us all a big favor and kill yourselves.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | October 28, 2009 10:59 AM

40 minutes one way by car/walk/metro (which I do if I have a meeting after work and will be late getting home).

45 minutes one way by riding my bike (which I love, love, love and feel invigorated when I get to the office).

On average, three out of five days, I ride my bike.

Posted by: shejoy | October 28, 2009 11:18 AM