Christmas trees

By Jodi Westrick  |  November 26, 2009; 12:01 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Was Adam Lambert's performance too racy? | Next: Cyber Monday

Comments

I resent the notion that waiting until Christmas eve to put up a Christmas tree is procrastination. For some people it is a cultural tradition going back many generations. At one time it was common for parents to put up the tree after the children had gone to bed on Christmas Eve.

Posted by: praidt | November 27, 2009 10:54 PM

A total waste pf perfectly fine trees.

Posted by: angelos_peter | November 28, 2009 12:31 AM

"A total waste pf perfectly fine trees.
Posted by: angelos_peter"

Nope, that's not true Pete.

For many years our family has bought real "live" Christmas Trees potted in a container, which we later planted in our yard.

We now have a mini-forest of various sized pines and lasting Christmas memories, of the joy they brought us.

The place where we buy our tree each year, always has a steady line of customers who enjoy then plant their tree.

Try it this year, it's a lot of fun to watch them grow, they are beautiful.

Merry Christmas!

Posted by: chicago77 | November 28, 2009 4:35 PM

I was working in the Philippines a little while ago and found
that they put their trees up BY THE END OF SEPTEMBER!
I was talking to a local architect about this in the middle
of October and he said his children were mad at him
because they didn't have the tree up yet as he had been
so busy.

Kind of makes the foregoing discussion pale in comparison, doesn't it?

Posted by: captcompo | November 28, 2009 5:21 PM

I have this intricate metal tree about 2.5 ft tall, and I hang tiny trinkets from the scrolled ends. Very environmentally safe and used each year.

I haven't had a green tree in so many years I've forgotten when the last one was.

As I have little personal interest overall in Christmas, the 'tree' goes up about 3 days prior to Christmas Day, for family and visitors.

Posted by: limpscomb | November 28, 2009 5:37 PM

I live in Bulgaria these days, you know, an expat trying to make a living overseas.

I live across the street from the police station and the office where foreigners get visas and passports. I see that the ladies in this office building have put up a christmas tree this week, I don't know if it's a real tree or a plastic tree - but it has lights and all that. Aleksandrovska street has some lights, ready to be turned on the first of december.

Bulgarians are the least religious people I've ever met, they don't even know that they don't care about the religious crap.
But I see them preparing to enjoy themselves in the christmas season, and I say good for them.
Home with the family, some parties with friends, some Rakia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakia) and the new year on its way ... I think I'm going to enjoy christmas in this country. No controversy over some religious nutjobs trying to force their delusions on everybody ....

what a refreshing christmas season.

Oh, by the way, happy holidays :-)

Posted by: khote14 | November 28, 2009 5:59 PM

Sigh,

All my life (56 years) I've lived a life in which the tree goes up on Christmas Eve and comes down on Epiphany (January 6th, also known as the twelfth day of Christmas). So...for me, trees that go up now are lovely ADVENT trees, but not CHRISTMAS trees.

Recognizing that not everyone loves the liturgical year, I say to each his own and Happy Holidays.

Posted by: lancaster53 | November 28, 2009 7:10 PM

"A total waste o perfectly fine trees."

The little fir trees we use are grown the way you might grow wheat or corn. Using them is no more a waste than eating cornflakes is a waste.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | November 28, 2009 8:23 PM

I put up 15 trees (I love Christmas decorating), so I start before Thanksgiving. So far I've got 3 up and hope to have 2 more before the end of the night. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, my family adores the trees, and friends look forward to invitations to see them each year. If I can do something that makes everyone (including myself), look forward to and enjoy the holidays, then that's what I'm going to do. It doesn't matter what the Scrooge's think.

Merry Christmas to All!

Posted by: entwistle | November 28, 2009 8:29 PM

Up here we usually have the first snow storm right around Thanksgiving. After that, the first nor-easter can hit anytime. So we get the tree on Black Friday and get the lights up outside. Hopefully this year we can get them down before April.

Posted by: treadlefish | November 28, 2009 8:48 PM

The tree went up two weeks before Thanksgiving. Artificial, of course, and filled with ornament "memories" collected since I was a child. Christmas shopping done throughout the year; most presents are already wrapped. So the season is enjoyable without the pressure of finding the right gift -- although I will be taking several names off The Salvation Army tree and buying presents for kids who might not have a Christmas.

Merry Christmas to All and To All, hope your holidays are bright and happy!

Posted by: snowflower | November 28, 2009 9:02 PM

My outside lites go up the Saturday after Thanksgiving, my Christmas tree goes up December 1st, everything comes down New Years day.

Posted by: army123 | November 28, 2009 10:20 PM

My tree went up on Black Friday. Not on sale of course, but it helps me get into the xmas spirit. Xmas is rather short, so I try to enjoy it to the fullest.

Posted by: gmuwv | November 28, 2009 11:43 PM

Christmas just doesn't seem like Christmas without a tree and decorations. As the years have streamed by, I have been less inclined to bother with it. However, this year is different. My folks are in their 80s and I find myself in the role of their sole caregiver. Tomorrow we are choosing a tree and will decorate their little house just like old times. As I see their joy, I get a little excited myself.
Merry Christmas!