Does PETA go too far?

The PETA interns have beautiful skin and lovely teeth. They have shiny hair and the buzzy energy that comes, they'd say, from avoiding animal products and animal byproducts, and from the peaceful belief that through their work, you can be helped, too.

This self-assured knowledge is useful when the PETA interns are naked, which happens occasionally, like at a recent Friday demonstration when Kelsey Jaye stands with another "PETA Beauty" in a makeshift shower on Pennsylvania Avenue by the National Archives. They languidly wash each other with cruelty-free soap and ignore heckles from the gathering crowd.

Read the rest of Monica Hesse's story.

By Jodi Westrick  |  November 4, 2009; 11:00 AM ET  | Category:  Local , National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: | Next: Legality of speed cameras

Comments

PETA has suggested that we humans should enjoy breast milk ice cream to spare cows the indignity of being milked.

Ummmmm yea they go too far.

Posted by: theobserver4 | November 4, 2009 12:28 PM

I saw a hawk kill a red squirrel a few days ago while I was jogging. Who do I call to complain?

Posted by: alstl | November 4, 2009 1:00 PM

Peta is an amazing organization that has helped me lose over 50 pounds by becoming vegan and helps me save over 100 animals a year by being veg! I would support anything peta does!

FYI THEOBSERVER4

Peta suggests that we human enjoy breast milk ice cream because it is not going to kill us like cows milk will. Theobserver4 perhaps you should keep up with your health news:

Harvard School of Public Health, on the Consumption of Dairy Products (2005):
“The recommendation to drink three glasses of low-fat milk or eat three servings of other dairy products per day to prevent osteoporosis is another step in the wrong direction. … Three glasses of low-fat milk add more than 300 calories a day. This is a real issue for the millions of Americans who are trying to control their weight. What's more, millions of Americans are lactose intolerant, and even small amounts of milk or dairy products give them stomachaches, gas, or other problems. This recommendation ignores the lack of evidence for a link between consumption of dairy products and prevention of osteoporosis. It also ignores the possible increases in risk of ovarian cancer and prostate cancer associated with dairy products.”

Posted by: htrachel | November 4, 2009 1:22 PM

America is great but we are free to be who we want; where PETA goes too far is when they want to force me to live like them.

I have vegan friends, I never try and force them to eat meat so why do so many vegans feel the need to try and stop me from eating meat? They should learn to mind their own business.

Posted by: flonzy3 | November 4, 2009 2:01 PM

Why do we not question whether the meat industry has gone too far? Cutting off cows' horns, pigs' tails, and turkeys' toes? Housing animals ankle-deep in their own waste and feeding them scads of anitbiotics so they don't die from living in the filthy conditions? Allowing this industry to destroy land, waste water, and perpetuate climate change? These are the actions we should be questioning, not whether a PETA member is out trying to draw attention to their consequences.

Posted by: Ashley715 | November 4, 2009 2:03 PM

Unbridled zealotry is ignorance compounded in any endeavor and PETA is no exception. It is unfortunate that America has become accepting of the loudest voice in the crowd over that of the most practical & educated, which is exactly the tactic that PETA has allowed itself to become insnared. SCREAMING heads should be tuned out, turned off and ignored for the betterment of the society we began to establish in 1620. When the noise & din zealotry exceeds the collective evidence & common sense we as a nation become distracted from our original goals, freedom, liberty & the right to make an informed and WISE choice free of mis-information & deceit.

Posted by: misterfids | November 4, 2009 2:14 PM

Posted by: Ashley715

---------------------------------------

Try free range and organic food including meats. You don't have to completely eliminate meats from your diet and you don't have to contribute to the empires that I feel absolutely abuse the animals that we consume. It also gives you a great reason to not eat fast food garbage and you'll lose weight and be healthy.

****The reasonings for the breast milk over cow's is PR backtracking. What about Soy Milk etc? If you're lactose intolerant then a human's breast milk isn't doing you any favors either. I know because my nephew's stomach didn't care if it was human or cow milk.

I'd love to see studies that say Americans are fat because they're drinking too much milk......in between their sugar poisoned soft drinks.

Posted by: theobserver4 | November 4, 2009 2:18 PM

The PETA crowd are all a bunch of weirdoos. As long as they stay to themselves we are OK. If one of these nuts ever throws blood on me because I wear a leather jacket I'm sending them to the hospital.

Posted by: dontsendnofarkingspam | November 4, 2009 4:04 PM

Man,

I would have loved to see that scene.

Posted by: trumeau | November 4, 2009 4:37 PM

Unfortunately, 'ethics' (the key part of 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals') are subjective. I have a problem with anyone who wants to impose their own moral values on me. I watched a show on the Science Channel the other day that suggested that trees communicate chemically with one another when threatened and that they have a kind of intelligence. At some point, as the dominant species on the planet, you really just have to dominate to survive. If PETA people want to off themselves out of guilt for hurting the planet every time they breathe, that's up to them. I choose to live, guilt-free, in the freedom that our Founders meant for us. Nobody changes their values to please me and I certainly don't intend to do so for others.

Posted by: thesilencebureau | November 4, 2009 5:50 PM

There is no such thing as "soy milk" or "rice milk", you cannot milk either, it is juice with water added and taste terrible. BTW if you buy into animal C02 problems then rice is out too, rice paddies produce more C02 than factory farming of cows.

Posted by: flonzy3 | November 5, 2009 1:17 PM

"At some point, as the dominant species on the planet, you really just have to dominate to survive. " It does not seem that the human species is in any danger of not surviving because of our lack of "domination". On the contrary the number of humans on this planet DOUBLES every few decades. If we humans are in danger it is because of OVER-domination, we are now consuming resources faster than the earth can replenish them.

Posted by: rohitcuny | November 10, 2009 3:01 AM

I ate a Sea Kitten with Lemon last night for dinner.....

Posted by: andio76 | November 11, 2009 2:21 AM