Will you miss Tai Shan?

After four years, beginning with his birth at the National Zoo, Tai Shan, the first surviving giant panda cub born at the zoo, is headed back to China. The adolescent panda is finally headed back to his ancestral homeland, with details of his departure coming at a 10 a.m. news conference with the Chinese embassy and zoo officials. During his stay in D.C. he's drawn millions of visitors to the zoo and tens of millions of fans to the zoo's online panda cams.

Will you miss Tai Shan?

By Cameron Smith  |  December 4, 2009; 9:20 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Washington Times cuts staff | Next: Still bowling?

Comments

This is really too bad. I think that it is unfair that China apparently has propriatary rights to all giant pandas regardless of where they are born. Perhaps we should fight this "extradition" of Tai Shan since he is a US Citizen by birth.

Posted by: Ret-Coastie | December 4, 2009 10:50 AM

Tai Shan - he's some kinda monkey or something, right?

Posted by: Bugs3 | December 4, 2009 1:54 PM

Why would I miss him? I can find a stick of butter in my fridge.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 4, 2009 5:11 PM

Hey there are people there who'd happily eat the thing & wear it's pelt.

China's such a pain in rear about this kind of thing I'm happy to see the beast go away. I'm not one of these people who see any advantage in interacting with the country. Nothing good has come of it for the USA for sure.

Posted by: Nymous | December 5, 2009 6:33 AM

The poll tells the story. Many of us will miss him very much. He has provided much needed research for the conservation of these rare and special animals. He has brought lots of $$$ to the DC area via tourists. He has brought lots of $$$ to the National Zoo. And he has been cute, from the day he was born. I feel sorry for those who have not had the experience of his presence. He has been a great antidote to the cynical times in which we are living. I preferred happiness and joy.

Posted by: dianefromPlantation | December 5, 2009 6:48 AM

I think the Nats bullpen, which has never been that good to begin with, will be even weaker next season without him.

Posted by: mandraki | December 5, 2009 2:59 PM

Just the first of many things China will repossess. Might as well get used to it.

我爱我的新中国统治者

Posted by: DupontJay | December 5, 2009 8:57 PM

We have your number.

All of you racist Chinese haters need to step off your bias pedestals!

Posted by: rush_n_crush | December 6, 2009 2:17 AM

what's really going to suck is when the other pandas have to head back

Posted by: j762 | December 6, 2009 12:14 PM

I respectfully suggest we hold the little guy hostage until we determine what's up with the zhu-zhu's. Somewhat kidding, but seriously, when are we going to start considering the risks of trade relations with China? The plague started with rodents of another sort.

Posted by: 2_Opinionated | December 6, 2009 8:31 PM