Have you lost faith in the Toyota brand?

Toyota took the extraordinary step Tuesday of suspending the manufacture and sale of eight of its most popular models because of an unresolved mechanical flaw that might cause the accelerator to get perilously stuck in the depressed position.

The move comes after two massive recalls involving millions of vehicles with either the same flaw or one in which floor mats also caused the accelerator to get stuck. Read the full article.

Own a Toyota? Been to a Toyota dealer? Tell us about your experiences or how you feel in our Story Lab blog now.

By Jodi Westrick  |  January 27, 2010; 12:43 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: PETA wants to fire Punxsutawney Phil: Do you agree? | Next: New Apple iPad: Will you get one?

Comments

I am a totally loyal toyota owner. This one of numerous examples where the local Toyota dealership in Walnut Creek, CA went above and beyond. I had taken my Toyota Corolla in for routine servicing prior to attending to important matters. The service staff determined that my brakes were critical and needed immediate replacement. I really had urgent business and said I would bring it back later in the day. The service manager said it would be unwise and let me use a rental vehicle free of charge for as long as I needed. I'm just an average Joe that has always been treated with the utmost courtesy and respect. There was never a need they couldn't fill!

Posted by: daveberk1 | January 27, 2010 8:27 PM

So instead of trying to sweep this issue under the rug, Toyota has recalled millions of cars, and stopped making more cars until they fix the problem. Sounds to me like they want to keep their customers alive, rather than worry about a little bad PR.

I just finished a trip around the country (11,000 miles worth) in a 28 year old Toyota truck. Ran great, and got twice the mileage of my Ford.

Posted by: marko66 | January 27, 2010 9:30 PM

A few years ago I had a Tercel and a Corolla...between the two, they went over half a million miles... my present Corolla is at 230,000 and my Sienna is 200,000...Both are purring like kittens. The Toyota dealer near Easton, Pa. has always, always provided service far beyond the norm... Staying open until midnight to serve customers....Always looking to save me money... I could never buy anything else.

Posted by: wtremer | January 27, 2010 9:47 PM

There is definitely something wrong with some Toyotas, but it seems to affect only a handful of vehicles and seems to be something of an aberration.

It is truly unfortunate that several Toyota drivers apparently panicked when their cars developed problems and then lost control of their vehicles. I would hope that now the problem has been pointed out, they would know enough to shift their cars into "Neutral" if they do have a problem with sudden acceleration.

Meanwhile, I have been more disappointed with the occasional reliability issues that have popped up with some Toyota models. Engines that have problems with sludge developing, and premature and unacceptable rusting on some models in the recent past. I have also been disappointed with how Toyota has cheapened many of their more recent cars. They seem to have cheap-looking plastic interior panels that are prone to rattle, and seats with short, uncomfortable bottom cushions that do not provide any thigh support for taller people.

Posted by: johncosmo13 | January 28, 2010 2:41 AM

How many American car makers would have put their customer's lives first over money made as an earlier reader wrote - none per past history. We have an Acura (Honda owned) and as another writer wrote these car makers are totally concerned for the safety of my wife and I in operating their cars and not first making money. This is why such car makers are consistently near the top of the safety ratings with all models year after year. I also commend Toyota for their action.

Posted by: davidmswyahoocom | January 28, 2010 6:58 AM

Toyota has been hiding and lying for years. From pickup trucks that rust to cars that stop running due to sludge in the engine (that Toyota blames on the consumer)..its time hold their feet to the fire. I have bought my last Toyota and I am going to look at US plated cars again. Perhaps its time we quit sending our money to Japan, regardless of where the car is assembled.

Posted by: rstpierre | January 28, 2010 7:00 AM

They recognized a serious problem and took positive steps to do something about it. Wish more corporations and government entities would do likewise.

Posted by: sdl63 | January 28, 2010 9:22 AM

When you drove the same Toyota truck for eighteen years and the air conditioner still blew cold without ever being serviced and a corolla for a decade whose only extraordinary expense was a 2.49 cent stop lamp, why would you trust anything else? Serious problems occasionally affect quality companies and quality companies always overcome serious problems.

Posted by: slim2 | January 28, 2010 9:30 AM

Well, it's pretty hard to badmouth Toyota after having bought a '95.5 Tacoma that went 303,000 flawless miles and then, when rust problems were identified in the frame, was bought back by Toyota for $8,000. So they not only addressed the problem wholeheartedly, but also offered a $1,000 incentive to buy another Toyota truck! Well, of course yes, I will, thanks. Now I have a nice 2008 Tacoma - bigger, more comfortable and gets even better mileage (22-26 mpg). Would GM, Ford or Dodge do as much? What's not to love?

Posted by: AMac1 | January 28, 2010 10:39 AM

"99 Camry 140K miles V6 engine (the one that's supposed to have a sludge problem) is the best car I have ever owned bar none. That includes 14 other vehicles by Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler as well as German (VW), Japanese (Honda, Mazda, Nissan), and Italian (Fiat) auto makers. My only complaint about Toyota is that they quit offering the V6 with a manual transmission after '99.

Posted by: kguy1 | January 28, 2010 10:56 AM