Is it ok for Obama to root for Saints?

President Obama told ABC News' Diane Sawyer that he's "rooting a little bit" for the New Orleans Saints in the Super Bowl, because of all the city has been through. Do you think a President should ever express his hope for one Super Bowl team to beat another? Weigh in below.

By Cameron Smith  |  January 26, 2010; 12:39 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Sharing our online information after death? | Next: Too much hype for Apple iTablet?

Comments

I guess not since becoming president means that you must give up any and every simple pleasures in life.

But then again, he has to give us something to nit pick about?

Posted by: millineumman | January 26, 2010 1:30 PM

Great, another victim story about New Orleans. Cry me a river!!

Posted by: cschotta1 | January 26, 2010 1:56 PM

Are you saying this is really an important issue? Who cares who cheers for whom?

Simply another "issue" for Rush Limpdick and his lemmings to attack Obama with because they never have anything else, especially not anything ever positive, to offer.

A better question is it OK to waste God's time with a prayer for your team to win. If I pray for one team and you pray for another, what's a God to do?

Has the Washington Post and America really become this mundane?

Posted by: areyousaying | January 26, 2010 2:39 PM

Forget the President rooting for the Saints...we the people better become more like a Saint because right now, we ain't!!!

Posted by: YesLord1 | January 26, 2010 2:40 PM

cschotta1, I'm sure if more people knew how crappy your life was the media would write a bunch of stories about it.

Posted by: mack1 | January 26, 2010 2:41 PM

He's a person. A real person. He has favorite foods and favorite brands of clothes. This President happens to be a sports fan. Surely no one would think it was wrong for him to root for his home team if they were in the Superbowl or the World Series. Here he is just doing what everyone in America does -- it's not as if expressing a Presidential preference could have any impact on the outcome.

Posted by: fmjk | January 26, 2010 2:43 PM

How about a poll regarding a more relevant and important issue:

Will the Huckabee's "abstinence" programs we are spending millions on really reduce teen age pregnancies?

or

Is it OK for the Catholic church to continue to hide its pedophile priests from the law in blatant defiance of US justice?

Maybe these won't work because they can't be used for more sophomoric Obama bashing your readers have come crave so much.

Posted by: coloradodog | January 26, 2010 3:02 PM

Posted by: mack1

My life is real good. I have a job, pay for my own healthcare, and I don't follow around a radical Kenyan with shouts of CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!!

"DON'T BLAME ME, I VOTED FOR THE AMERICAN!"

Posted by: cschotta1 | January 26, 2010 3:04 PM

"DON'T BLAME ME, I VOTED FOR THE AMERICAN!"

Um, that would be the old guy, the one born in Panama, right?

Posted by: kguy1 | January 26, 2010 3:13 PM

"DON'T BLAME ME, I VOTED FOR THE AMERICAN!"
Um, that would be the old guy, the one born in Panama, right?
Posted by: kguy1

Here's a "hint" for ya dumba**-he served his country "proudly"!

Barack Hussein Obama-The joke that keeps on giving the whole year!!

Posted by: cschotta1 | January 26, 2010 3:20 PM

Why not??? What the heck kind of people do you want in this country. Milk-toast liars who say they're neutral?? Go ... Hmmm.... I actually really don't care who wins. As long as the Overrated-Media Darlings Cowgirls aren't in, the Washington insert Racist Name here " " team tanked again and the I Hate NY'ers Giants are out I'm pretty happy. Hopefully it'll be a good game. I will however root for my President. A good Man.

Posted by: billm32 | January 26, 2010 3:24 PM

"DON'T BLAME ME, I VOTED FOR THE AMERICAN!"
Um, that would be the old guy, the one born in Panama, right?
Posted by: kguy1

Here's a "hint" for ya dumba**-he served his country "proudly"!
Barack Hussein Obama-The joke that keeps on giving the whole year!!
Posted by: cschotta1 | January 26, 2010 3:20 PM
*******************************************

Yeah, but serving "proudly" isn't a requirement to be president in the United States Constitution, is it? A lot of foreign born nationals have fought for the U.S., but they could never be president. More right-wing revisionism.

Posted by: nsu1203 | January 26, 2010 3:27 PM

Posted by: nsu1203 | January 26, 2010 3:27 PM

Keep WHINING libs, you are making my F UK IN day!

LIBERALS...AMERICA'S WEAKEST LINK!!

Posted by: cschotta1 | January 26, 2010 3:33 PM

Posted by: nsu1203 | January 26, 2010 3:27 PM

Keep WHINING libs, you are making my F UK IN day!
LIBERALS...AMERICA'S WEAKEST LINK!!
Posted by: cschotta1 | January 26, 2010 3:33 PM
*******************************************

That's funny, because you certainly can't be talking to me. Why? Because I am a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. Yes, I served proudly. And when my active duty service ended in 2001 and I got recalled for the war, I came back and proudly served again.

Posted by: nsu1203 | January 26, 2010 3:47 PM

Posted by: nsu1203

So proud you must be to be hearing the party of defeat, the party of retreat, saying these words in time of war, just to make our president look weak:

"We can't win in Iraq"
"Our Marines are murderers"
"The war is lost"
"Close Gitmo"

And yes, I'm talking to you!!

Barack Hussein Obama-why affirmative action doesn't work!!

Posted by: cschotta1 | January 26, 2010 3:55 PM

Hello everyone. This post was supposed to be about the silly little topic of the Superbowl? Remember? Is there any topic that will ever be opened on any blog that won't turn into the completely predictable and totally lamentable invective between the "real Americans" and the "liberals?"

Posted by: fmjk | January 26, 2010 3:59 PM

Sure it's fine to pull for New Orleans... at least the current president is pulling for the city!

Posted by: ANTGA | January 26, 2010 4:14 PM

To cschotta1: go wrap a bandana around your head with the rest of your angry friends and dream about how you want to destroy those bad guys in the IRS... then go burn a cross... then go burn some books... then go to church and meet with those same friends and talk about what terrific Christians you are and how you follow the teachings of Christ!!

Posted by: ANTGA | January 26, 2010 4:17 PM

I notice Bush picked teams during his terms in office yet it was supported by the Media/Press as no problem. Now you question President Obama why? Is it because you have to attack him everyday for even being alive. Get over it, McCain/Palin lost and can't get in the White House. Now Obama doesn't do that well in his picks anyway and Patton Manning is the best quarterback with the best Defense/Offense. Remember the Saints won the gave because of the tossed coin, if Minn. had won the toss they would have gotten a field gold. Patton didn't need overtime to win.

Posted by: qqbDEyZW | January 26, 2010 4:19 PM

PS to cschotta1: George Dubya Bush -why stupidity doesn't work!!

Posted by: ANTGA | January 26, 2010 4:26 PM

PS to Jarhead: George Dubya Bush -why stupidity doesn't work!!

Posted by: ANTGA | January 26, 2010 4:27 PM

By invoking the latest Supreme Court decision on campaign financing, support your favorite team!

Posted by: peterroach | January 26, 2010 4:28 PM

This is the most mind-numbingly stupid thing I have ever seen in the Washington Post.

Posted by: nicekid | January 26, 2010 7:21 PM

Clearly trying to get any far reaching acceptance that Obama is not the fruad kook occupying the Oval offices?????

It is a free Country, are people not supposed to do anything they want?
You don't have a vote for:
Too stupid to respond to with a vote.

Posted by: dottydo | January 26, 2010 8:43 PM

It's clearly nap time for CSCHOOTATA1.

Posted by: Theone9 | January 26, 2010 10:23 PM

I sure hope he doesn't go visit and put in a good word for them! I want the Saints to win!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 27, 2010 12:12 AM

I guess it's ok to let the pres be human a couple of hours a year. As far as the person posting about prayer for your team to be a winner offset by prayer for team to be a winner, how about a Christian prayer for the safety of both teams and their fans and something sometimes missing in our sports and politics--sportsmanship. God bless America, the president and the people and may they love each other (and only God can pull this one off)
And by the way, Who Dat.
Geaux Saints

Posted by: johntu | January 27, 2010 1:43 AM

It's FOOTBALL, people! It's not about policy or world affairs - it's just a game! Of course he should be allowed to cheer for whichever team he wants to.
Nobody ever objects to players raising their arms to God when they score, but God isn't taking sides. It's not going to hurt a thing if the "prez" cheers for one team or the other. Good grief!

Posted by: MuffinsMom | January 27, 2010 6:25 AM

www.Allbyer.com
Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,2010 New Year's gift you ready?Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...NIKE SHOX,JORDAN SHOES 1-24,AF,DUNK,SB,PUMA ,R4,NZ,OZ,T1-TL3)$35HANDBGAS(COACH,L V, DG, ED HARDY) $35TSHIRTS (POLO ,ED HARDY, LACOSTE) $16 New to Hong Kong : Winter Dress
--- NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 --- NFL Jersey $35--- NBA Jersey $ 34 --- MLB Jersey $ 35--- Jordan Six Ring_m $36 --- Air Yeezy_m $ 45--- T-Shirt_m $ 25 --- Jacket_m $ 36
--- Hoody_m $ 50 --- Manicure Set $20 ... Company launched New Year carnival as long as the purchase of up to 200, both exquisite gift, surprise here, do not miss, welcome friends from all circles to come to order..,For details, please consult
........♫
....♫
..♪
........♬

...♪......♪

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted by: wyiutetewryjuykilg | January 27, 2010 9:16 AM

I have no problem with the President showing support for an American made sport such as the NFL.

If President Obama wants to show his love and support for New Orleans...then so be it.

God knows Bush didn't know how to show it for New Orleans when it was his time to do so.

Posted by: BigHustla | January 27, 2010 9:51 AM