New Apple iPad: Will you get one?

With Steve Jobs's highly-anticipated announcement of the new Apple iPad, we've finally figured out what the new tool can do. Based on this announcement, will you be purchasing one?

By Jodi Westrick  |  January 27, 2010; 1:40 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Have you lost faith in the Toyota brand? | Next: Don't ask, don't tell: Is Obama right to call for repeal?

Comments

iPod Touch on steroids! Want one!

Posted by: MajorConfusion | January 27, 2010 7:47 PM

Typical Apple product. High on style, mediocre on performance; short on features. Far overpriced. Obviously marketed only to the groupie iphools who will buy it just to show off. For the other 98% of the portable computer buyers, buy a 10" netbook with a 160G HD and a user-replaceable 10-hr battery for 1/3 the price. And move on.

Posted by: fudador | January 27, 2010 8:14 PM

Not if it involves AT&T

Posted by: reston75 | January 27, 2010 8:25 PM

Right. Who the heck wants a Ferrari when you can have a souped-up '78 Datsun that works just fine and nearly passes the emissions test?

I. Must. Have. iPad.

I get shivers just thinking of owning one.

Posted by: KimY1 | January 27, 2010 9:32 PM

I'm a huge gadget guy; I have an iPhone 3GS (my second iPhone), and have owned about every version of the iPod ever made, but I don't get the iPad. The only thing I see it doing that the iPhone doesn't already do - at least reasonably well - is acting as an e-reader, and I don't see how a device that has a max battery life of 10 hours can compete with a Kindle. I have a Kindle DX, and it'll go for days if not weeks on a charge. I don't need a fancy, backlit color screen to read an e-book, and I don't need something the size of the iPad for on-the-go email and web-surfing. Sorry Apple, I'm huge fan of all your products - including your computers - bu this is one device I don't plan on buying. I'd have much preferred a Mac netbook.

Posted by: stratman1 | January 27, 2010 9:38 PM

Does iPad have anything to do with feminine hygiene products?? I keed, I keed!

The price is not outrageous, its also not a real computer. Why spend $500+ for the priviledge of pumping more Apple approved media into your head?

Posted by: hoos3014 | January 27, 2010 9:44 PM

Probably will buy. Weighing option of buying Touch vs iPad. Looks like a great platform, I'm pretty excited about it.

Posted by: hitpoints | January 27, 2010 9:52 PM

If it had serious storage, so it could run serious apps, then I'd buy one. As it is, it's an iTouch on steroids. Instead, I'll get the iTouch, be able to carry it in my pocket, save some bucks, and be able to do 99% of what I could do with the iPad. Even that photo of Jobs holding it makes it look like one of those oversized TV remotes.

Clap on! Clap off!

Posted by: c0lnag0 | January 27, 2010 10:04 PM

It's certainly not revolutionary, and not even very sexy. But it does fill the role of a device that I can listen to music on, watch videos, and surf the web.

By the way HOOS3014, there are lot of apps that will rip a DVD and put it on an iPod for you. Likely this will work the same way (it is just a big iPod touch).

Lack of Flash is a major gap (yes, I know all about HTML5, thanks).

And I guess I'll have to jailbreak it to get the apps I want on it, but that's fine.

Only question is whether to pay the $15/month to get data on the road. Maybe I can trick my employer into paying it.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | January 27, 2010 10:05 PM

Switch to AT&T for this thing? You serious?

Posted by: GD1975 | January 27, 2010 10:19 PM

For $499, I can buy a truckload of #2 pencils and notebook paper.

Posted by: OldRedneck | January 27, 2010 10:39 PM

Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,2010 New Year's gift you ready?Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...NIKE SHOX,JORDAN SHOES 1-24,AF,DUNK,SB,PUMA ,R4,NZ,OZ,T1-TL3)$35HANDBGAS(COACH,L V, DG, ED HARDY) $35TSHIRTS (POLO ,ED HARDY, LACOSTE) $16 New to Hong Kong : Winter Dress
--- NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 --- NFL Jersey $35--- NBA Jersey $ 34 --- MLB Jersey $ 35--- Jordan Six Ring_m $36 --- Air Yeezy_m $ 45--- T-Shirt_m $ 25 --- Jacket_m $ 36
--- Hoody_m $ 50 --- Manicure Set $20 ... Company launched New Year carnival as long as the purchase of up to 200, both exquisite gift, surprise here, do not miss, welcome friends from all circles to come to order..,For details, please consult
........♫
....♫
..♪
........♬

...♪......♪

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted by: eyrtiuyoluerhyitertyutu | January 27, 2010 10:48 PM

Why no USB port? And can you print?

Posted by: adhughes | January 27, 2010 11:24 PM

About 5 min after the announcement, the jokes had already started. MacsiPad? There must not have been any women on the commity that named the thing.

Posted by: rpvt | January 28, 2010 7:47 AM