Risking your life to save another on Metro

Two tourists leapt onto the Metro tracks at Union Station last week, saving the life of a woman whose wheelchair had fallen onto the rails. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  January 21, 2010; 9:53 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Conan O'Brien worth $32.5 million? | Next: National Enquirer eligible for Pulitzer?

Comments

if not me or you then who...

Posted by: DwightCollins | January 21, 2010 2:53 PM

I have often thought what I would do in this situation. Given that I'd want someone to come to my aid if it happened to me, I think I'd be inclined to do it for someone else. Obviously, you never know what your reaction would be until it's staring you in the face. I have however, jumped on the tracks to retreive a pocket book for a senior citizen.

Posted by: DrFish | January 21, 2010 2:56 PM

I would help - unless it was clear that I would be unable to provide meaningful assistance and would just be in the way.

Posted by: didnik | January 21, 2010 3:20 PM

I've never been in the position of having to risk my life to help someone. I would very much want to have the courage to risk it, because I believe that's the right thing to do, but until you do find yourself facing that choice, I don't think it's possible to know whether you would really have the courage to do it.

Hats off to these brave and selfless rescuers!

Posted by: Itzajob | January 21, 2010 4:02 PM

As an atheist and rationalist, there is no benefit in coming to the aid of a stranger, much less to one who is wheelchair bound, when you risk your own life.

Such altruism is nice, and I love to see it in others, but it is based on religious principles, not rationality. Saving a stranger now does not mean a stranger will save you in the future. Do it because it is good, if you want, but there is no punishment or Hell for not doing anything, either.

Posted by: LeeH1 | January 21, 2010 4:20 PM

People go to war which is always a risky thing to do they may be required to take lives which seriously is not at all pleasant, or they may die themselves.They do to protect not only their families, whom they know, but their country. They go to war to protect strangers, they often protect strangers from both overseas and at home in their own country. Millions of people are willing to risk their lives for strangers. This is good thing. There are also many people who for some reason wish to kill people they know and/or strangers, and this is not good. What does Jesus Christ want us to do. He never died for strangers, but for all people whether we call ourselves good or bad, we are all sinners, some saved from eternal hell because we accept Jesus' sacrifice of Himself, but many are not saved because they reject Him. For some people choices like this are as easy as choosing between chocolate flavoured ice cream or sardine flavoured ice cream.

Posted by: DavidFalconer | January 21, 2010 4:24 PM

LeeH1,
It is what a person in the US Military does every day for you.

In Harms way, isn't a happy tune jingle.

Posted by: dottydo | January 21, 2010 8:39 PM

It's not a religious matter at all. Rather, it's what you do. I stepped into a raging fire and pulled a woman to safety, and to life. Saved some other people over the years under other circumstances.

No Big deal.

One of my old chat room buddies was a guy named BCM (Battalion Chief Moran). He was a member of the New York fire department and he went into one of the Twin Towers to save lives.

No Big deal.

Everybody who's ever done that knows there are people who can't or won't ~ and they have their excuses.

Leeh1 is a good example of the phenomenon.

You either "have it" or "you don't have it". No inbetween in the matter.

Posted by: muawiyah | January 21, 2010 9:04 PM