Can shovelers "reserve" parking spots they clear?

D.C. law states that property owners must clear snow from the sidewalks and ramps surrounding their property within eight hours of the end of a snowfall, and Maryland regulations call for only slightly less stringent measures. However, there is no clear protocol for public parking spaces, which raises an interesting moral quandary.

If a resident clears a large amount of snow from a public parking space -- whether it is in front of their home or place of business or not -- should they be allowed to "reserve" that spot with parking cones or other measures that keep other drivers from taking the spot? Weigh in below.

By Cameron Smith  |  February 8, 2010; 5:50 PM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: 2010 Super Bowl: Best commercials | Next: Snoverkill: How many more inches of snow?

Comments

You bet! After spending 6 hours digging out two cars, chopping through the frozen ice wall that was plowed behind them, then clearing the snow off the tops of the cars and moving it all out of the way, those spaces are mine for the duration.

Posted by: grobinette | February 8, 2010 9:57 PM

It is illegal, but I would certainly respect the spot, but only if it was marked. This is of course referring to a place like DC were anyone parks anywhere, as opposed to a neighborhood where everyone knows the 'unwritten rules' about whose spot is who's.

If you don't mark the spot, I have no idea if you left to go to the pharmacy and will be back in 10 minutes, or if you were visiting from out of town, got stuck in the storm, shoveled out and drove back to New York and will never again occupy that spot.

I would have no shame in marking a spot I shoveled out if I was going to be gone for a short time. The officials' threats to ticket people who do this....how will they do that? You can put a ticket on a cone, but its probably going to end up in the trash.

Posted by: thetan | February 8, 2010 10:37 PM

They'd have no time to ticket for this if they were issuing tickets for failure to shovel your sidewalk .. in fact, those ticketers would die from exhaustion.

Posted by: tslats | February 8, 2010 11:58 PM

When someone parked in a spot I cleared some 40 years ago in the Boston area, I left them a note saying I planned to return the ton of snow I had removed from that spot if I found their car in it again -- and left them my name and address (across the street) if they wanted to discuss it. They didn't park there again.

Posted by: dolph924 | February 9, 2010 1:54 AM

Being able to reserve a parking space simply because you cleared it violates the second DC driving law. Let's review the DC laws:

Law 1: Land God's have the Right of Way (buses, big trucks, etc can do whatever they want).

Law 2: Me First!

It helps to know these laws for they explain the behavior of a majority of the drivers in the DC area.

Posted by: DC_Visitor | February 9, 2010 6:39 AM

I don't think you should be allowed to reserve a spot... hence the term "Public Parking Space." If you want your own private parking space, move somewhere else. Or be a good samaratan and when you dig your car out, dig out the cars around you, too.

Posted by: chilipop | February 9, 2010 7:40 AM

If it were a residential area I would not park where someone had cleared but other areas that are commercial I would...

Knowing someone lived closeby that cleared space would deter me from taking the spot...but commercially I would have no problem parking....

Posted by: pentagon40 | February 9, 2010 8:45 AM

If it's a public parking spot, you don't own it.

Posted by: FredKnowsBest | February 9, 2010 9:12 AM

They should be able to, I would not take the space. Yet another reason why living somewhere with a driveway is superior. The cognitive dissonance of DC residents never ceases to amaze me!

Posted by: merganser | February 9, 2010 9:14 AM

I'm a former Bostonian who also lived through the Blizzard of '78 & others there...

I'm with Dolph924 ... I may not be able to legally reserve a space I have cleared, but I might re-position the snow I cleared from it if I found someone else parking there ...

and of course, in time honored Boston tradition, the garbage can(s) (or cones, but cans are bigger) are considered almost-legal "posting" ...

Posted by: fendertweed | February 9, 2010 9:25 AM

I'm with the other former Bostonians and Blizzard of '78 old timers... from December to April we saved spaces with cones, garbage cans, sawhorses, whatever; and it was not considered at all rude or inappropriate. Every one did it and it worked well. It's like legal protection for intellectual property: if an author's book and a software writer's code were not protected from unpermitted common use for a set period of time, few books and code would get written, to the detriment of us all. For the same public policy reason should parking spaces be protected until the snow melts, at least by custom if not by law. Really, our polite Southern friends should yield to New England common sense on this one.

Posted by: tshimkin | February 9, 2010 9:57 AM

it depends on the situation. But I say if someone does steel a spot you cleaned out then you probably have the right to put the snow in their way.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 9, 2010 11:19 AM

I live in the suburbs with a driveway and garage.

...city slickers!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 9, 2010 12:04 PM

In Boston, you get 48 hours after each snow, although usually they don't start enforcing for a day or so after that. I'm from Rhode Island - so simply putting the snow back in the space seems like the space-stealer is getting off too easily, and with their tires too intact. But in reality, having some sort of system actually keeps tempers down, because everyone knows the rules, and no one gets frustrated.

And you get some pretty creative space savers: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/01/the_king_of_par.html

Posted by: baptizedpagan | February 9, 2010 12:09 PM

I lived through ten Boston winters. For 2-3 months every year, my street resembled a tacky yard sale, with residents leaving every type of object imaginable in the street. Parking cones, lawn chairs, chaise lounges, bicycles, garbage cans, step ladders, paint cans - even picnic table benches. In one neighborhood of Boston (Allston) I've even seen these space savers used in the summertime.

Aside from the fact that junk left on the street was a terrible eyesore, I was never comfortable with the implied threat behind the gesture - "move this chaise lounge, and I'll key your car". I'm not a big fan of vigilantism or mob justice, and this reeked of both.

The fact is, if it's a public street, you don't own it. If you lose "your" spot, look for another one. And keep the garden gnomes and lawn chairs in the shed, thanks.

Posted by: popkultur | February 9, 2010 1:00 PM

In Chicago if you clear a spot out on a residential street and mark it -usually two lawn chairs- it is yours. It is also acceptable, as verified by the police officers who worked in my neighborhood, to dump snow and water on any vehicle who ignores your chairs. Ironically, this guarantees the rouge parker the spot until spring.

Posted by: RyanL330 | February 9, 2010 1:03 PM

Go ahead, key my ten-year-old Cherokee, you and the five others who have already done so. I keep my nice car garaged in weather like this.

Posted by: willm2 | February 9, 2010 1:06 PM

What gets me are people who don't clear anything around their cars, but then drive into a cleared spot the minute they see someone leave from a nicely cleared space.

I've walked up to a few of those in my life and snapped off their windshield wipers when the sun goes down. I have no qualms about encouraging others to do the same.

Posted by: HillRat | February 9, 2010 1:17 PM

Some of these comments are just bizarre... "get a job"? "Cognitive dissonance?" Do these commenters believe that only unemployed or confused people live in apartments?

If someone puts in hours of hard work to shovel out a parking space, it's only common decency to respect that.

Posted by: wrybread1 | February 9, 2010 1:18 PM

It's more complicated than yes or no because it depends on what your parking situation is. If you live on a residential street where parking isn't a big issue then I would think common courtesy would eliminate the need to put a marker on your parking spot. However, there are places where parking is hard to come by with no snow and in those locations reserving spots is just not a realistic practice. Cars have to go someplace and its going to be first come first serve like it is any other day of the year.

Posted by: cowpasture2 | February 9, 2010 1:39 PM

In lots of neighborhoods in this city it's always hard to find a parking spot. I've driven around for 30 or more minutes in good weather looking for spots. Often it's because of all the MD and VA cars, as well as the local residents who never bother to reregister their cars here.

So the idea that someone would think they could hold onto a spot when they're not even there... no way, man.

As for Hillrat and others who advise vandalizing cars, we could have a lot of fun, you and me, if I ever ran into you touching my car like that.

Posted by: willm2 | February 9, 2010 1:47 PM

Having shoveled 2 cars out myself, I can certainly relate to the desire to reserve a space but I chose not to when I moved the car because it simply put is not legal for me to do so.

While I fully know first hand how much work it takes to clear a few cars on one's own, even during this much snow it's still illegal for anyone to reserve anything on any public thoroughfare. Particularly since this will be around awhile. Perhaps if everyone on the block got together and all shoveled out the remaining spots, it wouldn't be an issue for everyone on the block to park where space is available.

Posted by: Cubby_Michael | February 9, 2010 2:03 PM

Even though I hail from Chicago, IL, I love reading the Post. All I can say is that if you clear out your spot in Chicago and someone else takes it, that someone just might find their car has acquired a second clearcoat finish. This new finish is also quite a bit thicker and does not break, chip or scratch easily at all.

Posted by: radguy2001 | February 9, 2010 2:11 PM

Sorry, the streets maybe public but on the Hill most people dont move their cars for weeks during a bad snow, so for the few that dig out and have to go to work, you need to be able to find a parking space when you get home. You dig it, its yours till better weather in my book. For those who like to threaten people with keying their cars, or throwing chairs or cones away just because they dont agree, why dont you focus that negative energy into something postivie and help by shoveling out your elderly and infirm neigbhors instead.

Posted by: PR44 | February 9, 2010 2:13 PM

I live in a decent-sized apartment complex (maybe 250 units) and there is just no way to tell what spots "belong" to whom - they aren't marked in any way. As such, I park wherever there is a clear spot when I return; I wouldn't know what else to do. I don't have a shovel, but I did clear my old spot as best I could, but the birds did a number on my car in the old spot during the brief period it was completely cleaned off and you can bet I was not going to re-park there!!!!

Posted by: indy474 | February 9, 2010 2:59 PM

Opinions, opinions, opinions.....

Public space is public space. If you don't want somebody to take "your" space- don't dig out your freaking vehicle.

Posted by: Xavisev | February 9, 2010 3:24 PM

After reading some of these comments, its a wonder some people have die after argueing on a parking spot. Get a life people. I have peed on many a tree does that mean I own a forest. Marking your territory only refers to personal property, not parking spaces.

Posted by: MILLER123 | February 9, 2010 4:03 PM

I had an unfortunate incident outside my house with a neighbor who is manical about her car. During the recent big snowstorm she was out every 2-4 hours shoveling. She put a lot of the snow to liberate her car against mine further locking it in. I said something to her about it, but she does the same thing every time. Not nice.

So, today, when she was out of her space, I began to dig mine out. I pulled it into her space to continue clearing the snow from the windshield (much of it pack ice by this time) and rear window before driving off to run an errand. That was my plan.

Well, delightful neighbor pulls up in her SUV and demands that I back into my space so she could have "her" parking space back. This is a public street but there is a gentlemen's agreement that you only park in front of your house. I told delightful neighbor that I would move my car after I finished cleaning it. Delightful neighbor parked her car elsewhere and physically attacked me, grabbed the ice scraper and finally wrestled me for control of it. She threatened to call the police. I don't think she did; I ended up calling the police to diffuse the situation. All the arguing, fighting, etc., just made my work of digging my car out take longer. Really stupid.

One thing that bothered her was that snow from my roof, heaven forbid, had landed in "her" parking space. Of course, I intended to clean up after myself but she had given me no time before starting the assault. Absolutely nuts. The police informed her (this is Fairfax County) that she did not own the street and everyone needed to cooperate in a difficult situation and that I intended to clear the snow after finishing with my car.

I am sure this is not the end of it with this neighbor--who has proven to be a thorn in my side for years. I am also certain she will not apologize. If everyone would just behave like adults we will all get through this a lot quicker.

You do not own the parking space you dug out. By the same token, I would never park in one I knew had been dug out by someone in my development. I ended up parking in a lot (in the development where a plow had partially cleared). The grand finale of the whole escape was when delightful neighbor tried to get back into her space. It took her half an hour. She would have been better off leaving her car in the other space she had found, but, then, she would not have been making her point, would she?

We all need to sign a patience pledge.

Posted by: yenta1 | February 9, 2010 4:20 PM

I live in a condo. Though we have numbered spots, unfortunately, they're not assigned. I have an 8 ft long 3.5ft wide, 3.5ft tall plow pile behind my car when I went out to shovel Friday. Luckily some neighbors saw me trying to shovel it out by myself and came and helped... I didn't go anywhere that evening, though, 'cause I knew if I did someone would steal my spot (yes this is a lot for condo owners only!)

Finally knowing there was another storm coming, I went out on Monday for groceries. When I came back my very nicely cleaned spot was stolen. I managed to slide into a not so nicely cleaned spot beside it...

I just can't believe the gall of some people. If I'd had to shovel that out alone it would've taken me several hours. I didn't have anything to put into it to save it, but I certainly wanted to.

Posted by: Krista_L | February 9, 2010 4:43 PM

Correction:
I HAD an 8 ft long 3.5ft wide, 3.5ft tall plow pile behind my car when I went out to shovel SUNDAY! (I must be tired from all the shoveling)

Posted by: Krista_L | February 9, 2010 4:45 PM

I've never felt a space belonged to me just because I shoveled it if it's on a public street/unassigned parking lot. It's just the chance you take that you shoveled it, then you came back and it was or was not taken.

I lived in a large apartment complex and one year it snowed 24 inches. I caught a woman digging her car out and throwing it over onto the space where my car was parked. She got mad when I asked her to stop. But that was the consequence of having to park in a public space.

Later after moving to another apartment/ town house community in another city/state, there was a huge snow storm. I had to dig my car out to leave and when I returned somebody was in the space I had dug out. That was the chance I took. It was a public space. But I prayed that by the next winter I would have my own driveway. If I dig myself out, no one would be able to come and take it because it's my property.

I now live in my own house with my own driveway. No one would dare park there because I no longer park in a public lot or on a public street. This is mine.

My point? If you want to keep the space you dug out, live in a house with a private driveway or garage. Otherwise, stop playing your little kindergarten games of "this is mine!!" 'cuz it ain't. What part of "public" do you not understand??

And as a side note: A former co-worker's mother and sister were both killed by an irate neighbor who had cleared a space and declared it "his." As a matter of fact, he killed the mother outside and chased the daughter into the house and shot and killed her. Now he's rotting in prison over a stupid parking space.

Posted by: gitouttahere | February 9, 2010 5:06 PM

As for those of you who have attacked someone over a cleared out parking space, keyed their car, knifed their tires, etc. -- I really hope you get caught and you're prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and have to make steep financial restitution.

And I hope you're sentenced to sit in a 10x6 ft. jail cell to give you a chance to think about how stupid and juvenile your actions were.

Posted by: gitouttahere | February 9, 2010 5:11 PM

I was the recipient of a nasty note from a neighbor when I parked in a spot he or she had "claimed" by virtue of having shoveled it. I also cleared a nearby spot on Sunday so I didn't realize my community turned into a bunch of 8 year olds calling "dibs" on a spot bc they shoveled it.

Posted by: FairlingtonGal | February 9, 2010 5:18 PM

"This is why I keep an old car to drive around DC in. If I ever saw anyone marking spots with lawn chairs or whatnot, I'd stop and toss them as far as I could---even if I didn't intend to park right then. These are public streets. If you want your own parking spot, get a job and get a driveway or a garage."

Really?

Why so hateful?

Fact is a lot of DC neighborhoods just don't have many homes with driveways or garages.

So we residents must park on the street.

And because of where we are our residential streets are often overrun not by our neighbors but by commuters coming to work, tourists, or suburbanites coming in to restaurants, bars, etc.

I don't mind that much if someone from my own block takes a space I shovelled.

But I do resent it when I've spent half an hour shovelling a space only to see a commuter whiz right in and take the space.

Keep in mind that many in DC are elderly and they have limited access to things like pharmacies, groceries, etc. So when they move their car it's a big deal if they return and find the space is gone during a snow situation.

During times of difficulty like snowstorms to me it's a matter of parking being FIRST and foremost a neighborhood resource.

Posted by: Hillman1 | February 9, 2010 5:46 PM

I would say that this depends, and although I answered the poll with a "yes" this may not be true in all cases.

If the parking space is in front of your single-family home and you have dug it out, then I would say yes, particularly if you make some effort to mark it with cones or otherwise to indicate your intention to reserve the fruits of your personal labor for your personal use. Furthermore, if you park in a large lot that belongs to your apartment complex but where the spaces are normally unreserved and many of the spaces remain snow-covered, then it should be yours and anyone who usurps it is a poacher. Let 'em dig out their own space.

However, if you have parked on an otherwise public street in a fully public area other than in front of your own single-family dwelling, then I would have to say that the space may be fair game.

And metered spaces are ALWAYS fair game.

Now, if you park in the area I have dug out in front of my house or in the space I dug my car out of in my apartment building's parking lot, you will notice when you begin to drive your car out of the spot that you are no longer in possession of windshield wiper blades. If you have removed anything I used to mark the space as mine, as I did once with a chair that disappeared, you will also find that your car will need to have all four of its tires filled with new air.

Sometimes it takes a little vigilanteism to lay down the law.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | February 9, 2010 5:52 PM

I live on the Hill and parking is a pain. I'm lucky if I'm able to park in front of my house.

That being said, I hope that I'm lucky enough to live by adults who don't go crying "dibs!" and are mature enough to understand the meaning of "public."

If you desire a private space, buy a house with a driveway or rent a space in a garage. These options do exist in DC. If you elect not to pursue these options, grow up.

Posted by: sammalone1 | February 9, 2010 6:08 PM

If you spend the effort to create the parking place, then you deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labor. That parking spot belongs to you.

Posted by: financedoc | February 9, 2010 6:17 PM

If you spent hours of backbreaking work shoveling out a space, it's yours. Even if it's a public street, in my opinion if you've put in a lot of time clearing it, you now have ownership of it until the snow melts. My husband and I live in a small apartment complex in Alexandria with a private lot but no assigned spaces and spent three hours clearing out the space I parked in on Friday. We had to run to the grocery store quickly today and I left a sign on a garbage can appealing to people's basic human dignity not to park there! We were only gone for 20 and I indicated that we would return in that amount of time on the note, and it was clear when we returned. To the people who say that everyone should just buy their own house with their own driveway...have you checked how much homes cost here?? That is not an option for most people in the area. If any Godless person did park in my spot, I reserve the right to put all the snow I clear from a new space back into the previous space that I cleared!

Posted by: Alex251 | February 9, 2010 7:01 PM

On a public street it's first come first served in my book. Having said that, if I know that someone has spent a lot of effort clearing a spot, I'll respect it. On the other hand, if I'm looking for a spot on a public street, I'll take what I can get.

Posted by: blacksquid | February 9, 2010 7:11 PM

DC is one big snowstorm away from barbarism.

Posted by: screwjob2 | February 9, 2010 7:14 PM

We live on a street of single family homes. There's pretty much an agreement that everyone parks in front of their house and the spot you spend 3 hours shoveling out is yours. And that's how it should be. People should be allowed to mark their spots. They did the work to create them!

Posted by: SubRosa2 | February 9, 2010 7:16 PM

This is good to know. I think I will drive into DC tomorrow and look for a cleared marked space to park my old car in. I'll take the metro home. You can have my windshield wipers but not my new space.

Posted by: dooper | February 9, 2010 7:33 PM

Would like to hear opinions from VA townhouse community homeowners about reserved vs. guest parking spaces during these snowstorms. My husband, son and I shoveled our 1 reserved space and two guest parking spaces for the last couple of days. The guest spaces were gone when we vacated & returned, we parked in other guest spaces - one guest space we took was in front of the townhouse of our community president. He called to tell us to remove our car from the GUEST SPACE he (presumably) had cleared of/shoveled the snow. Can understand his position, but wish he had sent an email or flier stating the "unwritten rules".

Posted by: wolftownhouse | February 9, 2010 7:43 PM

Its public property. If you want a spot, buy it.

Losers.

Posted by: kenk3 | February 9, 2010 10:18 PM

If you are willing to shovel for 3 hours to open another space on the street where I live for me to put my car then you can have the spot that I spent three hours shoveling out. The only person who can say that this isn't reasonable is the one who hasn't experienced it.

Posted by: CapitalTruck1 | February 9, 2010 10:28 PM

If the parking space is on a public street, why are you spending so much time to clean the spot? Just clear away enough snow so you can move your vehicle. If parking is so hard to find, plan ahead to leave your car where it is for the duration (i.e stock up on necessities before the storm hits).

The storm won't last that long - you don't live in Canada for Pete's sake!

Posted by: Figgins | February 9, 2010 10:44 PM

My neighbor is 5 monts pregnant and has a 15 year old. Her husband spent hours digging out their car, which was parked right in front of their house and ran to the store for perscription. He returned only to find another vehicle parked in his place. Bad form, bad, bad form.

Posted by: countryjaz | February 10, 2010 5:59 AM

Oh and to all you people who say it's okay to park in a spot someone else uncovered, I say, buy your own darn shovel and clear your own space!

Posted by: countryjaz | February 10, 2010 6:01 AM

To all the people breaking off wipers, keying cars etc. How do you even know that the car occupying the space is the original one who took "your" spot? For all you know, someone came in, moved your traffic cones and left after 5 minutes, leaving some other poor hapless soul who saw an open spot and didn't know any better to become the victim of your vandalism....

Posted by: beatme | February 10, 2010 11:38 AM

Oh, boo hoo. "I shoveled a TON of snow...what gives them the right to steal my spot?" Please. It's a public space. We're all inconvenienced by the snow and if I need to park in order to stop into a store for 2 minutes to buy food you are simply out of luck for those 2 minutes. I have been shoveling my driveway and sidewalks for days and pitching in to help my neighbors. Do the same and stop complaining!!

Posted by: santuccir | February 10, 2010 11:41 AM

I am from the midwest, so maybe it is just the nice, generous, law-abiding part of me speaking, but a) it is illegal in most places to reserve spots with cones, cans or the like (although technically not in DC), and b) it is just rude. I dug my car out to go to work, and came back to find someone else parked in it, my thought was, if I'd come back to a spot cleared out, I would take. I dug myself a new one. The thought process here is, there isn't a person in DC that would park in one of the snow-laden neighborhoods that didn't need to and didn't already dig their car out of a spot earlier that day. If you want to reserve your spot, don't leave your house, because you are probably the people causing traffic back-ups and acting as moving road hazards in weather like this.

Posted by: BigJ1 | February 11, 2010 10:18 AM

And by the way, you have the same street parking permit I do, what gives you the right to reserve a spot? Did I miss the section when registering my car in the district that laid out the exact location of my parking spot? Maybe we should start doing this year round - I hate it when I leave and come home late at night and have to park 8 blocks away, because someone from MD or VA is parked in "my" spot, but I bet if I left a cone, they wouldn't do it. It is called public street parking for a reason, you don't own any one spot on the street, so marking your territory only identifies you as lazy and selfish. If you want reserved parking, pay for it!

Posted by: BigJ1 | February 11, 2010 10:28 AM

This would be less of an issue if DC permitted house owners to park in their own driveway past the edge of their house.

In addition to outlawing the reservation of 'public' parking spots, DC has also outlawed parking in your own driveway, UNLESS you lease back your driveway from the DC Government because the city has declared them all 'public' property.

"Any area between the property line and the building restriction line shall be considered as private property set aside and treated as public space under the care and maintenance of the property owner."

How nice of the city to force homeowners to park in the street, making the shortage of parking even worse...

Posted by: FredFryInternational | February 12, 2010 12:37 PM

This argument is ridiculous. Every single person in the city, if you have a car and do not own a garage or private covered parking spot, had to dig themselves out of this snow at some point. The point is that unless you plan on staying in that one spot YOU cleared until the snow is melted, chances are you are going to need to park somewhere else at some point, in a spot someone else cleared out. Public parking remains so, even in the event of adverse weather.

People putting furniture and concrete blocks, etc in their parking spots are creating a VERY dangerous environment for those people parking in the dark who perhaps cannot see these selfish markers of "claimed" space, that is not theirs to claim. This is not the wild west where you get to claim a territory. Just because you do a few hours of hard work doesn't mean the world owes you something.

Posted by: gracelady | February 13, 2010 1:44 AM

@Gracelady, thanks for pointing out the obvious math of this.

How the existence of snow significantly alters the equation of parking is a mystery. For some, it seems snow magically increases the number of cars or reduces the number of spaces.

The effort of digging your car out is so you can use the car. Later you look for a free space that someone else dug out. You won't have to dig out twice because cars are already occupying those spaces. If you want to keep that exact space, don't use your car.

Posted by: cellmaker | February 14, 2010 5:46 PM

It really concerns me that people assume that someone maliciously stole their parking spot and would slash their tires, key their car or snap off a windshield wiper in retaliation. How do you know someone didn't steal your "marker" that was blocking off the spot? I've seen several people stealing "markers" all over the city to incite just such behavior - and despite public ridicule and requests for them to stop, they just kept on going. Everyone needs to relax and use their brains before doing something that will hurt someone else - whether that's keying someone's car or stealing someone's lawn chair.

I dug out my car for 2 hours and so did several other people I know, and spots were taken within the hour - marker or not. So you find somewhere else to park. It's public parking - public - meaning you don't have ownership of any particular parking spot. If you wanted private parking, go buy or rent a private parking spot.

I lived in Buffalo for 20 years and never saw any behavior like this - it's just absurd to me. When it snows like this, you add in extra time to your day for shoveling and clearing - when you leave your parking spot and, if needed, when you find a new one.

I get it, we are all busy people and we all have busy schedules. Now my 12 hour days become 14 hour days - but I don't key someone's car because I'm upset about it.

Posted by: Kalaronya | February 17, 2010 3:41 PM