Do you plan on watching the Olympics?

Many claim that the Winter Olympics lack the luster of the more traditional summer games. Now, with a disturbing luge death just hours before the 2010 Opening Ceremonies in Vancouver, more viewers could be turned off by the quadrennial spectacle.

Do you plan on tuning in to the Games? Let us know by voting below.

By Cameron Smith  |  February 12, 2010; 5:25 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Returning to work: Good idea? | Next: How long was your commute today?

Comments

Surely you meant to use the word "cachet" rather than "cache"?

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 12, 2010 6:16 PM

As tragic and horrible as the death of the young Olympian was today, I must say, it is a wonder there haven't been more tragedies through the years.
These sports really ARE dangerous. I wonder if that isn't one of the reasons we watch them: to see the best, young, athletes from all over the world defy the odds, not only the odds of the previous records that have been set, but defy the odds that they will actually live through pushing the known limits of what is possible.
My deepest condolences to this young man's family and his nation and all the rest of us who so admire our Olympians.

Posted by: cms1 | February 12, 2010 7:29 PM

I remember watching the winter olympics from my grandfather's TV, during the winter, in upstate New York. I could barely contain my attraction, like a moth to a flame, for the rarified event that I longed to be in. My memories of those time no less vivid than those of the astronaut's first steps on the moon. I treasure the Winter Olympics ... always.

Posted by: sitspin | February 12, 2010 8:44 PM

TO HELL WITH THE OLYMPICS!!! I WANT MY STREET PLOWED IN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY!!! DAMNIT!!!

Posted by: demtse | February 12, 2010 10:06 PM

It really would help if the Cold War was still on.

Posted by: jaho | February 12, 2010 10:24 PM

Hey Demtse...I live in Florida and I don't give a rat's a$$ if your street gets plowed. How about organizing the rest of the couch potatos on your street and yourself and shoveling it out yourselves?

Posted by: PanhandleWilly | February 12, 2010 11:35 PM

What Olympics?

Posted by: Nobrun | February 13, 2010 12:11 AM

The Opening wasn't anything like Japan or France. Canda's a nice country but dull.
The W. Post question : how do you feel about the luge accident is sooooo dumb.

Posted by: crrobin | February 13, 2010 12:32 AM

Ill never support, NBC or MSNBC, I don't give a hoot nor hell what is on those stations.

GE & Wash Post, can shove it, as well

Posted by: dashriprock | February 13, 2010 1:43 AM

The olympics are fine it's all of the mundane unimportant chatter from the TV hosts that is the problem. Then there is the news syndrome that we only see what they want to show us. There is more to the olympics than finals.

Count me out, again

Posted by: RNJ341 | February 13, 2010 8:16 AM

Olympics? What is that? Another sporting event? Ho-hum. What drugs are those players using?

Posted by: fudador | February 13, 2010 8:52 AM

Olympic covers is totally lacking in sports. All we see are sports anchors, incompetent officials, stupid up-close-and-personal stories, soap opera stories and advertisements.

Posted by: fudador | February 13, 2010 8:56 AM

The Olympics are so yesterday. It's all about drug-fueld stunts, big sponsor money and promotions - e.g., all the Vonn hoopla. Declasse. And now we can add a tragic death.

Posted by: mirrorgazer | February 13, 2010 9:14 AM

It used to be fun to get together to watch USA take on the competition. Now it really is a soap opera and an opening ceremony competition rather than pure competition. It would be great to get back to just focusing on the athletes competing and the rigors of the event. I think it's also a reflection of how football is covered today. It's not a game anymore it's entertainment first and football second. Why can't there be EXTREME COVERAGE WITH NO COMMERCIALS OR MIND NUMBING BREAKAWAYS TO DIFFERENT CAMERA ANGLES.

Posted by: randers001104 | February 13, 2010 10:07 AM

I'm always disappointed that the U.S. media coverage so stilted toward what we are supposed to be interested in. We don't see other countries compete unless there are U.S. athletes competing against them. I am excited about living where we get two Canadian TV stations on our cable service, so I'll have a lot of choices. We don't speak French, but we always find Olympic coverage to be much more complete on their stations every time.
Laurinda Sousa Smith
Barrington, NH

Posted by: LeftyinNH | February 13, 2010 10:34 AM

Shouldn't they start before I start watching?

I would prefer it if the media put the same amount of effort into showing us what the conservatives are doing to undermine this country. They have destroyed our economy and render us a third world nation behind China, NE Asia (Korea and Japan) and European Union. It will take us at least a generation to fix the problems caused by Reagan, if we ever start, and another generation to pay off for the wreckage created by 43s frat-boy policies.

Posted by: BigTrees | February 13, 2010 10:55 AM

My origin is Dutch, so yes I'm going to watch the winter Olympics and especially the speed skating events. Those are events 'we' can win. I'm going to watch the events with some neighbors. And I can cheer for both Dutch and American athletes.

Unfortunately US media don't really cover the Olympics. For instance the 5000 (meter) speed skate for men starts at 12:00 PM (PST) and its not broadcasted here. In the Netherlands these events are broadcasted live at prime time (9 PM, CST) by Dutch television (NOS).

So I take my smartcart (which can receive Dutch TV using satellite) over to my neighbors so we can all watch the Olympics.

Posted by: zyprexia | February 13, 2010 10:59 AM

I agree with some of the comments -- the older coverage of the
Olympics was much more fun to watch. Somehow the NBC producers have become lost in the spinning of life stories of mostly American athletes, and we see so little of the actual competition.
I remember watching European coverage a few years ago when I lived in Sweden, and every event was covered, with even most of the earlier heats in each event.
American TV is too committed to think of all athletic events as
entertainment, and the Olympics is packaged that way. I believe the Olympics are a celebration of talent, skill, courage and stamina
that also celebrates human performance under amazingly stressful
conditions. The Olympics should never be about making American
skiiers look wonderful -- but about being amazed at whoever IS the best, no matter which nation they represent.

Posted by: miramar50 | February 13, 2010 11:14 AM

We were in Switzerland during the 2006 Olympics. The European channels cover all athletes, not just the featured Americans. I spent an afternoon watching non-stop ski jumping. I was also able to watch speed skating and other events start-to-finish, rather than getting a dumbed-down summary from a pontificating talking head.

Posted by: telos | February 13, 2010 11:54 AM

I just read that NBC will lose 400 million on this latest Olympic fiasco.
A look at the local weather forecast calls for rain, rain and more rain. Who paid who to bring the winter Olympics to a place know for its mild winter climate?
I will not be watching for the same reason I've never bothered to watch. I hate commercials and go out of my way to not buy the products advertised on network TV.

Posted by: mikie44 | February 13, 2010 11:58 AM

The Olympics are so 20th century. The opening and closing ceremonies have become so extravagant and over the top. Can't we find more useful ways to spend our money and our time.

Posted by: millerrj716 | February 13, 2010 1:11 PM

I basically never have had any interest in the Olympics except wwhen we were kids.
I use to ski a lot so if I can find skiing being shown I might watch. Unfortunately at least in this country, (USA) it is nothing but a vehicle to shove commercials ad nauseum,in your face. I have no patience with that. All other TV, what little I watch , I record. I just CANNOT sit through endless , sickening commercial after commercial.

Posted by: kat2show | February 13, 2010 1:29 PM

Why would washingtonpost.com even bother to provide slide images of the tragic accident of the 21 year old luger... I don't understand why we would even want to demonstrate to the public, specifically to the family, a slide by slide detail on how the accident occured. Not very proud to be a washingtonpost.com advocate.

Posted by: winston04 | February 13, 2010 1:36 PM

NASCAR: Danic Patrick today & Jr Tomorrow.

Vancouver: That opening blue-iced ceremony last night was as exciting as watching grass grow.

Posted by: porchfan | February 13, 2010 1:38 PM

I wont support NBC, so guess that means no Olympics, unless there's a sports channel allowed to carry some.

Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | February 13, 2010 4:47 PM

I understand how much work these young people have put into being at the top of their field ... however you say it. Being among the world's best at an athletic event is quite an achievement. I have respect for the dedication it takes to get there.

On the other hand, I couldn't givashit about actually watching them perform.

I wish them the best, I hope nobody else is killed, I hope their families and countries are proud of them ... but I think I'll spend my time doing something else.

Good luck.

Posted by: barferio | February 13, 2010 6:19 PM

I found the fact that NBC had little or
no regard for the family and loved ones of
the luger who was killed totally disgusting.
I have heard more than one person refer to
the showing as a snuff film.
Twitter and Facebook have a number of people commenting on how sickened they are
at the insensitive and disrespectful way
that the man's death was handled.
SHAME...for SHAME, NBC!

Posted by: marypatlinnan | February 13, 2010 6:47 PM

After NBC and other news media showed the footage of that young man's death, I decided to boycott NBC's coverage.

Posted by: ccs53 | February 13, 2010 8:00 PM

The Olympic ideal belongs to another place and time, long past if it ever existed at all (which I doubt).

The Olympic reality is as sordid as the rest of professional sports.

So no, I have no interest in watching that sorry spectacle. It doesn't have funny new commercials, and it's not worth throwing a party for.

Posted by: Itzajob | February 13, 2010 8:50 PM