Does a preacher belong at the grocery store checkout?

Somewhere between the produce aisles and Giant's every-day-fresh bakery, the Rev. Anita Naves is working up a sweat. She is holding a somewhat surprised shopper's hand, anointing his forehead with oil and crying out for the Holy Spirit to enter the man's life and drive out all worry and doubt.

Nearby, a couple browsing the tomatoes looks on, slack-jawed. A woman passing by with a bottle of ketchup whispers "Amen." And overhead, the PA system interrupts the prayer with an equally urgent request for help: "Cleanup on Aisle 3. Curtis, you're needed on Aisle 3." Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  February 19, 2010; 8:25 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Do you feel safe on Metro? | Next: Do you think guns should be allowed in national parks?

Comments

In my view, it's entirely up to the owner of the store. If a grocery retailer wishes to allow their space to be used for evangelism, they have a complete right to do so. Anyone who has a problem with receiving a dose of religion with their spinach has the right to take their business elsewhere. From the results of the poll so far, it appears few grocers would be wise to opt for purveying the almighty with the bananas.

Posted by: ggrim2 | February 19, 2010 1:49 PM

It's OK with me. I want more freedom, not less. If it offends me I'll shop elsewhere. It's entirely up to the owner.

Posted by: hit4cycle | February 19, 2010 4:15 PM

"Does a preacher belong at the grocery store checkout?"

Yes, if s/he is buying groceries or acting as the cashier or bagboy/baggirl. Otherwise it's up to the store owners as to whether they want to alienate customers.

Posted by: edallan | February 19, 2010 4:21 PM

If you can't talk about your invisible friend to complete strangers at the market - where can you?

Posted by: DonRitchie | February 20, 2010 9:33 AM

Yeah I need to pick up some superstition with my steaks. Frankly, if I was ever approached by a preacher in the Giant that the manager allowed to ply their beliefs, then I'd be telling that manager I'd be taking my business elsewhere...

Posted by: wildfyre99 | February 20, 2010 5:22 PM

Jesus instructed us to not pray as the hypocrites, standing in public making a display to impress or show how "spiritual you are. So if you feel the "move" to pray for someone, be discreet and not boisterous and showy. God is not deaf nor is He blind. He does not require an audience and neither should we. JMHO

Posted by: cntnulprze | February 23, 2010 3:27 PM

as long as their not harassing people, don't harass them. if you don't want to hear it, walk away. i assume the messages are positive, so preach on sister.

Posted by: icebluekoolaid1 | March 3, 2010 9:22 PM