How concerned are you about the presence of BPA in food packaging?

Major U.S. foodmakers are quietly investigating how to rid their containers of Bisphenol A, a chemical under scrutiny by federal regulators concerned about links to a range of health problems, including reproductive disorders and cancer. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  February 23, 2010; 9:46 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should women's hockey be an Olympic sport? | Next: Do parents have a right to know about students' alcohol, drug use?

Comments

Between this hormone mimic and all the excreted pharmaceuticals in our water supply, it's a wonder the species can reproduce at all.

Posted by: trippin | February 23, 2010 11:18 AM

I agree. It's bad enough we can't recycle tin cans OR glass bottles in our area. Maybe they need to go to all aluminum cans, which (so far) seem to be safe, and are also recyclable.

Posted by: dotellen | February 23, 2010 11:55 AM

This is very concerning, especially considering the prevalence of BPA since the 1970s. Worse yet is that we don't know any effects of the BPA replacement chemicals. They could be worse than BPA but I doubt we'll know for another 40 years.

I'll stick to glass containers and BPA free rubber lids. I may even begin canning my own food because of this.

Posted by: Radiohead2050 | February 23, 2010 12:09 PM

I agree. Glass is the way to go.

Posted by: Nesley86 | February 23, 2010 4:52 PM

It's not just BPA. It's preservatives and growth hormones and anti-biotics in our food. What can we trust? What is safe and what is not? What are the long-term effects from consuming these chemicals? Also disturbing is how do these chemicals interact with medications.

Is anyone doing the testing? Or did we get back to that only recently. We all know government science has been a major target of ridicule and abuse for 30 years but the alternative of ignoring and discrediting the laws of nature don't help anyone.

Posted by: BigTrees | February 24, 2010 7:26 AM

I am wondering who the FDA works for these days beyond their lobbying manufacturers??
I do not believe it is rocket science to see the connection of polymer transfer(hormonally charged)from all our plastic covered everything and the raging breast cancer and other female related cancers, not to mention it has been fine with the FDA to add artificial growth hormones to every major food group since 1948!!!! Is anyone going to take this seriously anytime SOON!!!

Posted by: aroneau | February 24, 2010 7:45 AM

All the more reason why we should be cooking our own food from scratch-you actually eat food with nutrients that way. I know it is more time consuming but worth it. I gave away all my cans goods 7mths ago when I found out about BPA. But I had to read about it in books like "My body toxic" by Nena Baker. we've been ingesting this stuff for so long!!

What the article didnt mention was the BPA used in fragrance. Whenever you read the word fragrance" beware-BPA is used to fix the chemical fragrance. Go with essential oils instead-lemon. grapefriut, lavendar etc. fragrances are found in perfumes, shampoos, household cleaners, makeup... I read about a woman who used alot of makeup and gave birth to a boy with penal defects.

Posted by: FR12 | February 27, 2010 10:18 AM