Valentine's Day: Love it or hate it?

By Jodi Westrick  |  February 12, 2010; 8:23 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Ellen DeGeneres: Good for American Idol? | Next: Snowy commute: Was returning to work worth it?

Comments

TO HELL WITH Valentines Day!!! I WANT MY STREET PLOWED IN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY!!!

Posted by: MaizeBelle | February 13, 2010 5:01 PM

What in the world is there not to like about Valentines Day? The purpose of the day is to tell someone you love them...that you care about them...that they are special to you. I feel really sorry for anyone who has a problem with that.

Posted by: GeraldShea1 | February 13, 2010 11:44 PM

Baby,,,,just when I thought it couldn't get any worse,,,,,,,You came back to me !

Posted by: dashriprock | February 14, 2010 1:42 AM

You shouldn't wait till one day out of the year (or 2-3 if you count birthdays and anniversaries) to tell someone you love them... you care about them... or they are special to you. People shouldn't need to wait for a "special" day (developed by the card companies, by the way) to show and celebrate their love. I really feel sorry for anyone who has a problem with that.

Posted by: jonscofer | February 14, 2010 3:38 AM

It is the stupidest, most obnoxious, and obviously most blatently commercial of the so-called "holidays" -IF you even consider it to be a holiday, which I do not-I have NEVER cared for this "special" day-SOOO OBNOXIOUS!

Posted by: Spring_Rain | February 14, 2010 8:27 AM

Valentine's Day is nothing but a hurtful reminder of what once was for all those who have lost the love of their life through death. I wish it didn't even exist. As another poster said, you can tell someone you love them ANY DAY of the year. There are millions of us who are just glad when the day is OVER!!!

Posted by: slamming | February 14, 2010 8:33 AM

Ohhhh. It's not so bad. It's like Christmas -forget the presents, flowers, fancy dinners if the experiences are a burden. Make it about the people in your life. There's nothing wrong with having a tradition, but I think we've forgotten what its really supposed to be about. Yes, there would be a lot more joy from the experience if we sat down at tables, cut out awkward shaped hearts, got our hands sticky while thinking about the special people in our lives.

Posted by: thinkaboutit11 | February 14, 2010 9:23 AM

Hate Valentine's day?

What inane poll will little Jodi, the rookie Gerson wannabe think of next?

The Huckabee Christian sect already has enough to hate as God's self-appointed deputy to judge and condemn others. Why do they need to hate Valentine's day as well?

Posted by: coloradodog | February 14, 2010 10:29 AM

It’s just another “Hallmark” holiday... something made up to sell, sell, sell...

Posted by: 4Jaxon | February 14, 2010 10:30 AM

What's wrong with having a day set aside to let the one you love know it?
We shouldn't wait for only that day to do so, but it's nice to hae time set aside to tell your beloved, "I may get so busy someties that I forget to say so, but I love you and I'm glad you're in my life." Diamonds, Godiva chocolates, dinner at a 5-star restaurant, etc. not necessary.

Posted by: lepidopteryx | February 14, 2010 10:34 AM

To teach the newcomers how to love their women, (instead of treating them like property), they need to celebrate St. Valentines's Day with the rest of us.

Posted by: dottydo | February 14, 2010 11:49 AM

Valentine's Day just another commercialized holiday. It's purpose is to sell cards, candy, and diamonds, and also to remind single people that they are alone and make them feel worthless and lonely.

You can tell the people you love that you care about them any day of the year; you don't have to wait until February 14th.

Posted by: nave209 | February 14, 2010 12:05 PM

It's a silly contrived day for people who wouldn't otherwise think to treat someone special and for those who feel entitled to this whether the person feels it or not. It's so prescribed - you must buy a sappy card, chocolate, overpriced flowers (which should be delivered to work so others can see you have someone), a gift and/or go to an expensive dinner (that will be crowded and hassled). Why not create your own special days on a number of random days in the year - when your loved one isn't expecting it. That's what my hubby and I do. It means much more and we know we weren't "made" to do it by social tradition or external expectations.

Posted by: DCcomm | February 14, 2010 12:30 PM

The Scrooges of the world, having neutralized christmas into a holiday, now set their malevolent sights on affairs of the heart. Alas, experience teaches us that le mortmain will probably win and inflict a new and even more leaden reality upon the populace...

Posted by: Davidd1 | February 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Valentines day is just another money making deal. Why not replace it with a day acknowledging all pets. It would make more sense. The day is totally lame why give flowers, the things last a little while, none of us need candy.Valentines Day makes me sick.

Posted by: alwaysAlabama | February 14, 2010 4:58 PM

As we get older we appreciate the loves around us .When young we take the years for granted,not me.Another year to buy flowers and candy and a card for my dear wife ,who makes me happy ,well, most of the time.

Posted by: dcg326 | February 14, 2010 5:00 PM

===========

HERE HERE!!! THEY DID MY STREETS TODAY!!!

Posted by: demtse | February 14, 2010 7:15 PM

I am totally digging this V-Day spirit being exhibited in the media by everybody. SALUTE to all who are happy with their significant others and I also raise my glass to the ones who have chosen to live a dramaless, worryfree and emotionally independent SINGLE LIFE. HAPPY WHATEVER DAY !!!! :)

Posted by: raees569 | February 14, 2010 9:42 PM