Can a woman effectively coach high school football?

When Coolidge High School announced two months ago that it was looking for a new football coach, one of the school's science teachers was sitting in a conference room in the building when a colleague asked, "Why don't you put your name in for it?"

Natalie Randolph chewed on the idea for a bit. She didn't know of another woman who was coaching high school football, but that didn't concern her. To Randolph, who had played five seasons in a women's professional football league and also served two seasons as an assistant at another D.C. high school, it came down to a few simple facts. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  March 12, 2010; 8:57 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Do you think there should be a tax hike on alcohol? | Next: Was Obama right to push back Indonesia trip?

Comments

Silly question. Has there ever been a poll asking whether a man could effectively coach a female soccer or basketball team? Sexist poll in the first place.

Posted by: Aprogressiveindependent | March 13, 2010 3:48 AM

I agree. There are 150 million or so females in the US. To think that _none_ of them could effectively coach a HS boys' football team is asinine.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 13, 2010 6:22 AM

We shall soon find out.

Posted by: jms3rd | March 13, 2010 7:10 AM

This is stupid.... maybe i am wrong, but I thought we already settled the Woman equality thing? I can't believe that the washingtonpost put this poll on the website. I mean really..... of course she will be able to coach the football team. Men coach woman's sports all the time and no one says anything about it. In fact I'm a man that coaches woman and no one ask how I am going to manage the locker room or if I can relate to the girls or any of the questions that people have asked about the new football coach. The answer is a good coach is a good coach and if she knows what she is talking about then go for it!

Posted by: markb_2 | March 13, 2010 7:11 AM

I agree with the above comments. Why are we even asking this question? Because there could possibly be something in women's DNA that would make them unable to coach football??
What was the thinking behind making this poll? In what way did the Washington Post think it would be productive?

Posted by: lxp19 | March 13, 2010 8:00 AM

Of course a woman can be an effective coach. I think she will have a winning team. I will be cheering for them. The question, I believe, is whether it would be better for these young Black men to have a man in the lives as a coach. There is a need for male energy in guiding and nurturing young men and for some of these young men, it would be the primary opportunity.

Posted by: peacefulET | March 13, 2010 8:24 AM

A good coach of any athletic team must be able to promote, loyalty, self confidence,and above all; self discipline, these are the common traits of successful teams and individuals. The tough macho image means nothing, it is all show and often a sign of weakness. A woman can instill the meaningful traits of a winner just as effectively as a man. Good luck to this trailblazing young woman!

Posted by: faulkner1 | March 13, 2010 9:23 AM

"Can a woman effectively coach high school football?"

Not just because she's a woman, but if she's an effective coach, sure, why not? As already noted, men can effectively coach girls and women (if they're effective coaches).

I'm curious about the reasoning of the 18% who so far have answered, "No".

Posted by: fdrew | March 13, 2010 9:43 AM

I thought this was settled when Goldie Hawn brought the city title to Central High back in the '80s.

Posted by: FlyersFan27 | March 13, 2010 11:28 AM

Of course not: they'll stop to put on make up, and they cry. Plus it's bad for their breasts.

Posted by: raschumacher | March 13, 2010 11:33 AM

Next questions: Can a Negro be a good quarterback? And what about those male cheerleaders?

Posted by: raschumacher | March 13, 2010 11:35 AM

When was the last time you see the legendary gymnastics coach, Bela Karolyi, doing Mary Lou Retten or Nadia Comanaci moves on uneven bars or the balanced beam?

I mean, come on, some people, whether they are male or female, just have very sharp and uncommon eyes and minds.... for tiny details, for tactical moves, for broad flow charts... even if they themselves can not physically, personally carry out what they know in their head, what they see... that need to be done...

Posted by: HerLao | March 13, 2010 12:09 PM

Sometimes I suspect that as a species we've never seen a box we couldn't think inside of.

Posted by: Nymous | March 13, 2010 12:28 PM

Yes, a woman can. Whether this woman can, successfully, is another question, to be answered next fall. Problem is, even if she does badly, Churchill will be attacked for firing her.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | March 13, 2010 4:31 PM

It doesn't require a penis to coach anything.

Posted by: hoberle | March 13, 2010 10:14 PM

Posted: "I'm curious about the reasoning of the 18% who so far have answered, "No".
========
I voted no. Reason: Because I can. It was a spur of the moment thrill. I'm a little tired of women getting the news coverage and big pat on the back every time they do anything,just because they're women. There it was -- do you think a woman can coach football as well as a man? NO! There -- I said it. No, I don't think they can. Now, WP, why did you ask? Was it a serious question? No, I didn't think so.

Ask this! Do you think men are all just useless Homer Simpsons? I'd like to hear some reasoning on those answers, too.

Posted by: kls1 | March 13, 2010 10:18 PM