Do you think Sen. Franken should stay in the Senate?

Al Franken is working on some new material.

After arriving in the Senate in July after a bitterly contested recount, the former "Saturday Night Live" satirist immediately set out to prove that he was no court jester. He pursued Hillary Clinton's expectations-defying model of bipartisan workhorse and convincingly assumed the role of diligent policy wonk.

But by so effectively suppressing the punch lines, Franken exposed an irascible, sometimes nasty side of his personality. In a chamber where goodwill helps a freshman rack up legislative achievements, that can be just as damaging. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  March 18, 2010; 10:39 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should women be paid large sums of money for egg donation? | Next: Is President Obama defensive on race?

Comments

franken is a pee-pee head with a doo-doo brain.

Posted by: alecsandertheg8 | March 18, 2010 3:01 PM

Franken might be a bit of a diamond in the rough as far as fitting in the Senate....but he is a diamond, and he is our (the people's) diamond. I consider him to be my third senator, seeing that I am not from Minnesota. To tell the truth, who really wants or needs one more senator who knows how to play the game, and plays it. Change does not happen by copying the behavior of those who have done it wrong for years. Go Al..............

Posted by: potrafka | March 18, 2010 3:25 PM

Should Al Franken remain in the Senate? What a stupid question. Better question: Should the person who came up with that question keep his or her job?

Posted by: gmuirhead | March 18, 2010 4:14 PM

really gotta strain to gin up a controversy here - considering that there are Republican senators with serious sex scandals (and more) under their belt - when are we going to vote on whether we think Ensign or Vetter should leave the Senate - or does that just apply to Democrats?

Posted by: hohandy1 | March 18, 2010 8:13 PM

Franken doesn´t seem to be any more irascible and nasty than some other Senators. Why pick on him?

Posted by: Aquarius1 | March 18, 2010 8:30 PM

Franken, potentially at least, brings some sorely needed humor to an institution very much in need of it. There are at least sixty Senators, including nearly all Republicans, who should leave for alternative employment first.

Posted by: Aprogressiveindependent | March 18, 2010 8:40 PM

Al Franken has way more gravitas than any of the Congressmen or Senators in my state of Virginia. Al, keep doing what you do.

Posted by: fabricmaven1 | March 18, 2010 10:46 PM

Posted by: gmuirhead

Perfectly said.

Posted by: James10 | March 18, 2010 10:51 PM

What kind of a question is this? Absolutely ridiculous. When will the Washington Post run a poll on whether Jim Bunning, or Mitch McConnell, or Tom Coburn, or Sam Brownback, or any other Republicans should "stay in the Senate." This is another example of how the Washington Post has devolved into yet another right-wing rag, spewing Republican talking points.

Posted by: ejs2 | March 19, 2010 12:02 AM

The Senate is full of jokes. Why not a jokester?

Posted by: thebump | March 19, 2010 3:45 AM

I really am surprised. What a loaded poll, what a bogus non-story. More like what I'd expect on CNN. What's going on at the Post?

Posted by: Jenner1 | March 19, 2010 4:26 AM

Keeping Sen. Franken in office is up to the people of Minnesota. So far, I'm happy with our new Senator and getting happier.

Posted by: MNUSA | March 19, 2010 6:57 AM

This is a silly, irrelevant question. As a resident of MN, I and the other voters will answer that when Senator Franken comes up for reelection. He represents people in MN and we get to make that decision. I voted for him in the 2008 election and no doubt will vote for him again. I'm satisfied and happy!

Posted by: jefinch | March 19, 2010 7:19 AM

MS. WESTRICK,

"...Franken exposed an irascible, sometimes nasty side of his personality."

Could you please cite all the other times anyone in the Post has described a Republican Senator using the word 'nasty'.

Posted by: dogdiva | March 19, 2010 7:21 AM

I read the article, and as far as I can tell Franken's "nasty" side is nothing next to any of the bosses I've had in the private sector, most of whom I wouldn't consider bad bosses. Essentially, when Horowitz says "nasty" he means "unwilling to put up with meaningless ceremonial tradition that gets in the way of actually doing work".

The Senate needs more people, regardless of party, who are willing to call stupid ideas stupid, or call attention to their fellow Senators' conscious lies.

Posted by: otherquaker | March 19, 2010 7:29 AM

Minnesotans don't care anymore. First came the pro wrassler as Governor, then they counted the votes until the angry clown won the senate race. Just like the Odumbo disaster, the voters deserve who they get.

Posted by: tjhall1 | March 19, 2010 9:12 AM

If you are concerned about elected public officials not performing to your liking, work with them or work against them. Responsible advocacy sites like http://www.congress.org/ are available to make it relatively easy to get involved in meaningful ways.

Posted by: VirtueTriumphs | March 19, 2010 9:35 AM

What gmuirhead said. This is one of your alltime dumbest questions, and is simply a gratuitous exercise in getting page views. It isn't serious journalism.

If you wanted any kind of reasonable poll, you'd ask people to rate Franken's performance, not whether he should stay in the Senate. That's a call only the people of Minnesota can and should make. And to suggest maybe he should go because he's "testy" is just absurd. You ought to be ashamed, because I know you know better. gmuirhead is right: fire the person running this gig.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | March 19, 2010 9:54 AM

I notice at least one poster who is a Minnesotan. They would be the only people with a reasonable stake in this question.

There are legislators I would love to see out of the legislative branch (and the government altogether). However, as I am not their constituent, that opinion has no particular weight.

Posted by: paulhume | March 19, 2010 9:58 AM

I wish the rest of the Democrats would grow a pair.

Posted by: daweeni | March 19, 2010 10:02 AM

Better question:
Should crazy Michelle Bachmann remain in the Senate????????? Or, should we immediately investigate her patriotism and look in her garbage for anti-American clues?

Posted by: shapiromarilyn | March 19, 2010 10:04 AM

Don't you think that perhaps the voters of Minnesota should be the ones to decide whether Franken stays in the Senate?

This poll is as stupid as they come.

Posted by: tomguy1 | March 19, 2010 10:05 AM

I agree with TOMGUY1. The last time I checked, this is a question for the citizens of Minnesota to decide.

I think it's probably a good sign that Franken gets so irritated with the behavior of the many "lifers" currently serving in the Senate.

Posted by: rmillerxznu | March 19, 2010 10:27 AM

Can't believe the Post pays people to ask these stupid questions and cuts real reporters and other news functions. Seems like I'm not the only person wondering what's up with this.

Posted by: suebobjunk | March 19, 2010 10:51 AM

Here's an even better question: Should Al Franken stay in the Senate, or should he run for President in 2016?

Posted by: SteveFromWV | March 19, 2010 11:26 AM

Franken has been doing a terrific job. I hope he stays in the Senate and continues to rankle the Republicans.

Posted by: ancient_mariner | March 19, 2010 11:57 AM

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this is completely stupid and a loaded poll. Why do those whose purpose is to report the news have to try to create news? What a waste. I agree, the better question is should the person who asked this idiotic question keep their job?

Posted by: red2million | March 19, 2010 12:13 PM

He should stay since he does not yet have enough experience to be president.

Ron T.

Posted by: ronteppins | March 19, 2010 12:42 PM

The people of Minnesota elected Al Franken as their Senator. Of COURSE he should stay in the Senate. George Bush got to stay in the White House after HIS contested election.

Posted by: kbockl | March 19, 2010 1:13 PM

This question is absolute garbage. As a thinking person I resent questions that are designed to elicit an emotional rather than thoughful response. It reflects poorly on the Post and makes me question the credibility of the rest of your news.

Posted by: kristen2150 | March 19, 2010 1:15 PM

What an outrageous question!
Is it really a matter of public record that Senator Franken is nasty?
Does politely shutting up a windbag like Senator McCain qualify as nasty? What complete idiot came up with this idea?
How about should the dumb reporter who posited this question find a new career in public relations?

Posted by: emeagher | March 19, 2010 1:22 PM

I wish Franken had an appointment with Dr Mengele.

Posted by: SSTK34 | March 19, 2010 1:27 PM

Compared to Sen Bunning of Kentucky; Sourpuss Sen Hatch of Utah; Sen Mitch "no" McConnell; Sen John "Hey you kids , get off my lawn" McCain: Sen Franken looks like............... Stuart Smiley .

Posted by: jmsbh | March 19, 2010 1:58 PM

Can we have a poll to see how many think the author of this article should or should not keep their job?

Posted by: red2million | March 19, 2010 2:31 PM

The question is just plain stupid, stupid enough to prompt demeaning toilet talk from Alec, or hopefully maybe one of his kids. The man was elected, he is intelligent and has a great sense of humor. I wish him well in a job which will take a lot of humor and courage in an institution which is serious sick.

Posted by: elwoll | March 19, 2010 2:53 PM

Should Jodi Westrick be parking cars instead of writing for the Post?

Posted by: zukermand | March 19, 2010 3:02 PM

Franken is doing a reasonably good job, but that's Paul Wellstone's seat. By and large, Franken's just keeping it warm for one of Paul's boys.

Posted by: Flidais1 | March 19, 2010 3:46 PM

WaPo has the lamest polls.

Posted by: rlj1 | March 19, 2010 4:12 PM

The only thing that would piss me off more at the nit wit that came up with this garbage would be to find out he/she came from Oklahoma and voted for those air heads in the Senate. Well, maybe if the author is a voter or on the staff of Senator Graham.

Posted by: sauerkraut | March 19, 2010 6:21 PM

As far as I am concerned, Obama and Congressional Dems have been WWWWAAAAYYY too nice. We would have had health care 10 months ago if they had shown some real toughness. They need more Frankens.

Posted by: ahprice | March 19, 2010 6:50 PM

What a stupid poll. And a stupid article, to boot. Whether he stays in the Senate will be answered by a better "poll" in the future--you know, when Minnesotans go to vote him out or back in.

Maybe if he were a Senator who had a lot of sex scandals but was really nice about it, WaPo wouldn't run dumb polls like this one?

Posted by: dkp01 | March 19, 2010 8:24 PM

I'm a Minnesotan. I voted for Franken without much enthusiasm. I couldn't be more proud of the guy. He is one of the best in the Senate: smart, articulate, outspoken, undeferential. He's a worthy heir to Paul Wellstone, and a bit more effective, I believe. In 2014 I will work for him and donate.

And, yes, WaPo is punk for this choice of poll "issue" and the tone of the question. Ask this about 41 nasty Repubs.

Posted by: DickoftheNorth | March 19, 2010 9:48 PM

Especially if it prevents a Republican from being there.

Posted by: MTgrassland | March 19, 2010 11:31 PM

I love Al Franken in the Senate. I wish his good sense and commitment to the job rub off on some other Senators. I hate every word that Senator DeMint says but I think he votes his conscience. That can't be said for others in the Republican party who just want to be in power. Al Franken never saw the day when he was as ugly and nasty as Bunning or Kyle and a host of others. Al is doing a great job for any Senator and an amazingly great job for a Freshman Senator. Our country wouldn't be in such a mess if they were all as committed to the American people.

Posted by: karela | March 19, 2010 11:34 PM