Should Gilbert Arenas serve jail time?

Prosecutors recommended on Tuesday that Wizards star guard Gilbert Arenas spend three months in jail for bringing guns into the Verizon Center locker room, also proposing three years probation and 300 hours of community service for the former All-Star.

What do you think of the prosecution's proposed punishment? Is it too harsh? Too lenient? Weigh in below.

By Cameron Smith  |  March 23, 2010; 5:56 PM ET  | Category:  Local , National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should Alex Ovechkin be selected for a third straight NHL MVP award? | Next: Do you think saggy pants should be banned at schools?

Comments

Question one: Was there a law broken?
if the answer is "yes" then go to Question two:

Question two: Is Arenas above the law?
if the answer is "no" then see comment below.

If you can't do the time; don't do the crime.

Period. End of discussion.

Posted by: topwriter | March 23, 2010 6:28 PM

MCI Center is private property. All the sensational gunplay is the business of the league and team. That leaves only Arenas's statements that he carried his guns to the location in the trunk of his vehicle. The violation of law was minimal and would normally not even be prosecuted were it not for the celebrity of the people involved.

Posted by: blasmaic | March 24, 2010 8:41 AM

I wish there was a third option on that poll. I would have said 2 to 4 weeks of jail, 1 yr probation, 200 hrs community service.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | March 24, 2010 8:48 AM

i'm sorry, i must've missed the part where Arenas committed violence against a person or damaged property above his ability to make amends. too many "laws," too much bulls..t.

Posted by: millionea7 | March 24, 2010 12:24 PM

It is possible that all the District gun laws will be declared unconstitutional. So why be so fast to rush a person off to jail? His major crime is not showing guilt. Perhaps there is none to show.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | March 24, 2010 1:21 PM

he violated the law. he wanted to use his weapons to "settle" a gambling debt. his only remorse is that he's not getting paid nearly $60M in bonuses and salary. he actively lied to the police and then twittered that 'he'd make up a good story'

this is not a guns rights issue. this was a dumb moment in a lifetime of dumb irresponsible moments.

he should be put away to maximum sentence possible, 60 months in jail. he should be kicked out of the NBA for violating association policy.

Posted by: timball0 | March 24, 2010 2:36 PM

How much remorse is needed? He apologized, and admitted his mistake. What more is necessary. Blacks (yes I'm going there) always get the stiffer sentence.

Posted by: margaretthompson1 | March 24, 2010 2:43 PM

I'm tired of people, particularly sports figures and celebrities, treating guns like they're playthings. What if one had gone off and injured or killed someone. Would you want people bringing guns into the locker room if you were playing sports?

Time is warranted for such a reckless disregard for human safety.

Posted by: 4AbetterAmerica | March 24, 2010 2:53 PM

I don't know whether the man should go to jail or not, that's why they have judges. However, I find it interesting that a lot of people say what if this or that happened, or he/she broke the law and could've killed or injured someone. If that is the premise for punishment a number of those same persons drive to work or on errands everyday and EXCEED THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT! Last I checked, cars kill more people than guns ever have, period!

Posted by: Sanglant25 | March 24, 2010 3:30 PM

If I had a gun-prior then carried guns into my workplace where certain employees (in this case, Wizards players) said they felt threatened and where the person I was trying in intimidate also felt threatened then .. guess what, I think I'd be packing my bags for some jail time.

Some.

As for all the good works, Bernie Madoff helped a lot of others too, but he was a creep at heart. So what.

Posted by: tslats | March 24, 2010 3:44 PM