Too soon for Tiger Woods's return?

By Jodi Westrick  |  March 16, 2010; 11:26 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Did Alex Ovechkin deserve two-game suspension? | Next: Should Virginia provide coverage for erectile dysfunction?

Comments

Not sure why he took so much time off. Sooner he gets back on the course and wins some tourneys the sooner forget about last year.

Posted by: SSFromNO | March 16, 2010 11:36 AM

Who cares? He's a golfer, it is not like he is a surgeon, politician, or religious leader.

He hits a ball in a hole.

Posted by: cchaffin1 | March 16, 2010 11:48 AM

There is probably not an optimum time to return. Hopefully, the aura of the Masters will distract some attention from Tiger. What if he wins?? That will be THE story!

Posted by: lifestory | March 16, 2010 11:49 AM

I like golf. I also don't care for Tiger Woods. It's actually nothing really personal or about him, it's more the nonstop coverage he gets when he plays (it's all Tiger if he's winning, and it's all Tiger questioning why he isn't winning when he's not in the top spot).

Anyway, ultimately, this poll is missing the most logical selection, the one that would surely take a vast majority of responses: Who freaking cares!

Posted by: scorbett1976@hotmail.com | March 16, 2010 11:53 AM

He's a professional golfer. He should be playing golf. Anything else he does is between him and his family.

Posted by: loved1 | March 16, 2010 11:53 AM

He can play whenever he wants. It will be interesting to see how the crowd reacts. The only thing that I'm sure of is that his advertising/endorsement value will NEVER be near what it once was.

Posted by: rjma1 | March 16, 2010 12:03 PM

"Who cares" is right. Golf is a boring game, not a sport. Anyone for ringolevio?

Posted by: opatrny | March 16, 2010 12:06 PM

Returning during golf's biggest event seems presumptuous. Oh yeah, it is Tiger - of course this is when he would choose to return - after all it is all about him.

Posted by: baseballguy | March 16, 2010 12:15 PM

Looking forward to this piece of human filth being booed and pelted continuously at the Masters.

Posted by: ebenezercrabbe | March 16, 2010 12:15 PM

He should be playing golf if he's ready to get back to it. Most people will forget and move on to the next person in the news to judge. He may have lost his great position with endorsements but he has tons more money than all of us and will be fine. He just has to ignore the snarky and hateful comments and do his best for his family. If he has his family and mother and close friends, he can get past this terrible drama he created.

Posted by: shejoy | March 16, 2010 12:24 PM

That's his job...why not. Who cares about his personal life...it's his own business, not ours. The media needs to get a life...no more Woods and no more Palin, please.

Posted by: br30 | March 16, 2010 12:45 PM

I agree with the "who cares?" option. He chooses to lead a public life, he screwed up majorly, so he should be prepared. However, I feel bad for the other golfers who will be distracted by the negativity that will surround Tiger for the near future. They're trying to keep things normal, and when Tiger is around, things will be far from it. I think the other golfers should be able to take a vote and say whether they want him to participate or not, especially in a cherished event like The Masters.

Posted by: spacehog | March 16, 2010 12:49 PM

Add me to the who cares group. Whenever a star athlete gets into a situation similar the one Woods got into, my initial reaction is usually this: If the troubled athlete doesn't care enough about him/herself and his/her career to stay out of trouble, why should I? It is a waste of talent.

Posted by: prestoj | March 16, 2010 12:54 PM

It is high time for him to atone for his transgressions with his clubs/putter on the golf course, and silence the detractors. Fact remains that he is the best golfer on the planet and every week he decides to sit out is a huge loss to the golfing world. Hope he wins the Masters and many more majors. Welcome back Tiger!

Posted by: Golf-fan | March 16, 2010 1:13 PM

Can't wait for him to come back....so I can root against him.

Posted by: Ron5 | March 16, 2010 1:16 PM

He can return to golf whenever the hell he wants. It's the endorsement deals that will be slow to return.

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | March 16, 2010 1:24 PM

What a ridiculous question to ask.

It's 'too soon' only if it's too soon for HIM based on his readiness for the game. Only Tiger gets to decide that. Golf isn't even a team sport, so nobody else matters in the equation.

Posted by: aerdmann | March 16, 2010 1:36 PM

Heck of a coincidence that he was "ready to return" just in time for tournament with the highest ratings. Is he 'cured'? Suuuuure, and the moon is made of green cheese too.

Posted by: maxikins | March 16, 2010 1:54 PM

NOT YET!!

Maybe never?

Posted by: hfaulk01 | March 16, 2010 2:00 PM

All you Tiger haters should back off. Whether now is the most appropriate time for Eldrick to come back to the tour is a question only Tiger, his wife, his mistresses, and Nike can answer.

Posted by: cheatstrong | March 16, 2010 2:10 PM

Who are we to say? He's a man. He has a job. Let him move on.

Posted by: patippett | March 16, 2010 2:32 PM

Who are WE to say? He's a man. He has a job. Let him move on.

Posted by: patippett | March 16, 2010 2:35 PM

Don't care for him and never have, but I like him more than the other golfers. Without him, golf is just..well..golf.

Posted by: treez123 | March 16, 2010 4:05 PM

Woods has always had a pissy attitude on the course. Now it'll be worse than ever. His wearing and club throwing will be nothing compared to the stink if there's heckling. And there will be.

Posted by: EdSantaFe | March 16, 2010 4:11 PM

You asked me to explain in the comments why I selected “Not Sure,” so here is my explanation:

Normally I would say yes, of course it is too soon. After all, Tiger Woods committed adultery, and therefore should probably never be allowed to play golf again for the rest of his life.

That being said, I believe it would be acceptable for him to play golf again if he did so while wearing a big, scarlet letter “A” on his Nike golf shirt. I don’t know if he’d be willing to do that, however, which is why I was forced to select “Not Sure.”

Posted by: MisterHippity | March 16, 2010 5:27 PM

Well, I'm just happy to have him back.
From what I've read about the planning of his comeback, The Masters' Tournament is a good choice because they exert a lot of control over media intrusion with the players.
He's going to need a bit of protection for a while, so as to protect his concentration on the game.
One look at his face during his statement of apology and it was clear how searing this experience has been for him, and I'm sure for his wife and family.
The way this developed is not hard to imagine.
All the hoopla surrounding being the winning player not only sets up an egotistical edge, it also makes these men (and women in the LPGA) particularly vulnerable to worshipful groupies and their need for attention.
It takes a lot of maturity to walk through that scene unscathed.
Tiger got burned, big time.
Something tells me, as much as he treasures his privacy and his family, that he has learned a hard lesson.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | March 16, 2010 5:31 PM

"After all, Tiger Woods committed adultery, and therefore should probably never be allowed to play golf again for the rest of his life."
POSTED BY: MISTERHIPPITY | MARCH 16, 2010 5:27 PM
==
Good grief.
"Hip" this misterhippity ain't.
If Tiger had been caught betting on the game, or taking steroids, or cheating on the rules, that would be one thing.
Those offenses would corrupt the competition and the purity of the game.
That's the problem baseball or Olympic competition is currently facing.
But, adultery?
The big Scarlet "A"?
Give me a break.
Hip needs to come down out of the clouds of moral judgment and get real in the real world.
This is the 21st century, not the 17th century.
The Salem Pilgrims are long dead and buried.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | March 16, 2010 5:43 PM

Dear Judy-in-TX:

Ok, maybe I went a little too far. Instead of a big scarlet letter A, a medium-size scarlet A would be acceptable. Or mabye even a small-ish one. In fact, he could even wear it on the front of his golf hat instead of his shirt. I think that would probably suffice.

However, another problem with this solution occurs to me: People might just think the red letter is some kind of sponsorship logo. So perhaps it should have an asterisk, and then a footnote on the back of his shirt that says: *I AM AN ADULTERER.

I think that would probably be the best plan. But again, I'm not sure, which is why I selected "Not Sure."

By the way, it was Washington Post's idea that I had to explain my "not sure" vote in the comments. So please understand that I'm just following instructions here.

Posted by: Ned290 | March 16, 2010 6:18 PM

Dear Judy-in-TX:

Posted by: MisterHippity | March 16, 2010 6:23 PM

The people who are here hating on Tiger are the same folks who hate the very IDEA of a Jackie Robinson, a Hank Aaron and a Barack Obama.

Like the other gentlemen of this coincidence that disproved prior haters, Tiger has shattered a perceived reserved perch of privilege that NEVER anticipated him.

Such sad and pathetic souls, who are amply and shamelessly represented by the comments posted here, hated Tiger Woods before he cheated on his wife, and they hate him now.

The only thing that will EVER change with these ex-dixiecrap southern republican types, is that they will hate Tiger Woods even more, every time he WINS.

And, in the end, that is to be Tiger's revenge and another validation for good people who love the pure sport of Golf.

Go Tiger! Break ALL the records. Continue to increase the growing popularity of the game I love: G-O-L-F!

After all, if Sir Jack, a decent and honorable human being, so obviously favored by the golf GODS, loves you, who cares about the losers here?

PS: FYI. Any hater who is foolish enough to show his/her butt from the peanut gallery at The Masters will, on live TV, be humiliated and unceremoniously booted from the course by his/her ear, and will be banned from golf galleries anywhere and everywhere, FOREVER. Go ahead, make my day.

Posted by: project2 | March 17, 2010 10:26 AM