Are you planning on purchasing an iPad?

Apple's latest venture, the iPad, ships this week. Are you planning on purchasing one? Read a review.

By Jodi Westrick  |  April 1, 2010; 9:22 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should the government allow offshore drilling? | Next: Have you filled out your census form?

Comments

I will wait for the 2nd generation. I love my I-Phone, however, I view the I-Pad more like a notebook computer. Therefore, I am disappointed that there is not a USB port in the new I-Pad. Also, does anyone know if Microsoft Office for Macs can be loaded into the new I-Pad?

Posted by: samuel51 | April 1, 2010 9:53 AM

That's such a loaded question.

Posted by: oo7 | April 1, 2010 10:00 AM

You left out a category: "ALREADY HAVE."

Posted by: box175 | April 1, 2010 10:34 AM

Just the latest wizz from the computer toy company. The media just can't stop hyping everything Apple.

Posted by: wesatch | April 1, 2010 10:40 AM

I agree with Box175. Mine is on order. I wanted the 3G option so it won't arrive until the end of April. I can't wait.

Posted by: mallemployee | April 1, 2010 10:46 AM

My perspective is as a business user/traveler. Not clear as to the gain versus an iPhone? Right now I have to carry a laptop and a phone, two devices. The iPad seems to offer no functionality to either replace one of or converge the two devices. Even if the iPad($500)+3G($140)+Keyboard($69)+USB Expansion($??) could replace a full function laptop, guess what, still two devices to lug around. What is the functionality??

Posted by: tamnick | April 1, 2010 1:35 PM

I am also in the camp that I want a USB port in the iPad. Steve Jobs is an amazing CEO but this looks like another Mac mistake. I remember when the Mac first came out and how it was such a closed box.

Open up the iPad, and Ill buy it.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | April 2, 2010 1:11 AM

It does nothing better than other devices, is more expensive to purchase, and locks you into Apple's walled garden. No thanks.

Posted by: robert17 | April 2, 2010 4:20 AM

At best the pad is a step sideways and not up.

As other users commented I note the lack of basic devices such as USB etc.

No telephone functionality so I will have to pay for my iphone connection and then additional connection charges for the ipad?

No multi-tasking with the software????

This is another overly expensive Apple eco-system (along with computers) I won't be joining.

By the way, thanks to Apple and AT&T I only get intermittent connectivity anyway. Once the contract is up I'll probably move on to a real "next generation" device; not some over-hyped Apple crap.

Posted by: krankyman | April 2, 2010 9:18 AM

Nope. I got the hype over the iPhone and iTouch, though I still stayed away from them. I can't get even a little excited for the iPad.

It's not innovative. It's a larger iTouch, with the apps tweaked to work on a larger screen. There are no USB connectors or card readers or anything like that. My netbook has a couple USB ports, which puts it ahead of the iPad. It also has a real keyboard. And I can multitask on it.

As for e-reader capabilities, the iPad is no step forward. Pictures are crisp and beautiful on it, but the Kindle's e-ink is better for reading long stretches of text. It's easier on the eyes. I don't see Kindle users replacing their devices with iPads for reading novels or novel-length texts.

I'm not saying it won't sell or that it's not good. If you don't already have an iTouch/iPhone, or a netbook, or a Kindle, the iPad might be a good deal. And I think tablet computing in general could be good for both the business and academic world. I'm just saying it's not good for me.

Posted by: dkp01 | April 2, 2010 9:59 AM

I might get one if they make a slightly smaller one. I love my iPod Touch, and a little bit of a bigger screen would be nice, but the iPad looks like it won't fit in any of my handbags, and the huge screen lets everyone around see what you're looking at.

Posted by: TashaMike | April 2, 2010 10:28 AM

Tashamike, I wouldn't be surprised if they did come out with something between the iPad and the iTouch. They have multiple sizes and capacities for the iPod, after all. If the iPad sells well enough, you'll probably see a mini in a year or two.

Posted by: dkp01 | April 2, 2010 11:19 AM

Naysayers are jealous of Apple users... Apple is a game changer, and as long as they are they will continue to succeed.

BTW: message for Michael Dell (who said to sell off/close Apple) -- Apple is worth MORE than Dell Computer.

Posted by: kkrimmer | April 2, 2010 11:54 AM

You might be an apple fanboy if you drive a Volkswagen Jetta and listen to NPR.

Posted by: screwjob11 | April 2, 2010 12:11 PM

Nice poll: Five of the answers are Yes and only one of them is No.

Not a push poll or anything. Nope, nope.

Posted by: screwjob11 | April 2, 2010 12:13 PM

High-tech fru-fru built to snag the one-uppers.

Ever heard of "built-in obsolescence?"

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | April 2, 2010 2:48 PM

I'll probably resist the temptation to give myself another Apple computer till the elves at Cupertino have created something sized between a Palm m500 and my Acer 22·5cm (seven-inch) mini-laptop and that has a solid-state storage thing (no clunky spinning thing to get hot and bothered) and that has a full-function virtual or real Macintosh keyboard and that can use any of the software that my laptop Mac happily uses (such as Microsoft Word and the rest of the Office toybox, and QuickTime, and Adobe InDesign, and QuarkXPress, and iTunes) and that has the usual array of connectivity options. In short, I'm waiting for a much smaller and much cooler (= more durable) Mac.

Perhaps the elves will even create a pocketable full-function Mac whose considerably larger-area screen unfolds like a bat's wings (or perhaps the screen will _unroll_ instead, to minimise the likelihood of fatal mechanical fatigue caused by continual folding and unfolding—that gremlin seems to have doomed the Palm m500's external folding keyboard) and can be festooned like a tautly pinned bedsheet in the position occupied by the open lid of a laptop of today.

I gather that Father Christmas will tell his elves that my dreams will remain dreams for several years. I can hardly wait.

Posted by: LeighOats | April 2, 2010 5:26 PM

Oops. Here correcting my mathematics of a few minutes ago:

[. . .] my Acer 22·5cm (nine-inch) mini-laptop [. . .].

Posted by: LeighOats | April 2, 2010 5:39 PM