Is Virginia license plate racist?

Douglas Story, a Chantilly dump truck driver for the Virginia Department of Transportation, says he wanted to grab people's attention when he paid $224.90 to have a mural of the burning World Trade Center detailed onto the tailgate of his Ford F-150 along with a sticker that reads: "Everything I ever needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/11."

But he got more than he bargained for when a photo of his pickup went viral on the Web last week. Motorists and Muslim groups complained that his Virginia vanity license plate -- 14CV88 -- was really code for neo-Nazi, white supremacist sentiments. The state Department of Motor Vehicles voted last week to recall Story's plates and force him to buy new ones. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  April 29, 2010; 9:59 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should SEC employees be fired? | Next: Was Obama wrong to only check his race as 'black' on his census form?

Comments

9/11 was a wake-up call. I previously had assumed Islam was a peacable faith that could be ignored. I realize not all Muslims are extremists, but the ones that are make it difficult to believe that Islam is a "religion of peace". The death threats routinely leveed at cartoonists and authors convince me that Islam is a threat to the free speech of the modern world. When supposedly peaceful Muslims quietly agree that Islam says these cartoonists and authors must die for "insulting the Prophet", I quietly have come to believe that Islamics are the red fire ants of the world, and need to be treated as such.

Posted by: art_ghecko | April 29, 2010 12:50 PM

On the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" I voted no. The NASCAR explanation seems pretty reasonable. The bumper sticker is objectionable, but that's not what was asked, and "Islam" isn't a race.

Posted by: alloydflanagan | April 29, 2010 1:30 PM

You ask if we think this license plate is racist? first, Like "alloydflanagan" above said, Islam isn't a race and secondly, who cares. I checked NO in the above question you asked but I think that you should put this third answer "who cares" to check off. I venture to say that I think it would garner the most votes.

Posted by: falken751* | April 29, 2010 1:50 PM

So now the Islamists and politically correct are going to hijack the numbers 14 and 88? How dumb is that?

Enough is enough. There is nothing racist or offensive about the numberplate 14CV88 and if the licensing authority tries to withdraw that plate from the holder, he should sue the crap out of them and force them to show in court how on earth those numbers can be offensive.

This Ibrahim Hooper guy should be more concerned with the atrocities that his Muslim brethren commit on a daily basis, rather than try and attribute bogus racist meanings to a numberplate on the basis of a couple of numbers on it.

Has Hooper come out and condemned the murder of Theo Van Gogh or the threats against the cartoonist Westergaard by Muslims? Has Hooper articulated his disgust at the Muslim terrorists recently caught in the USA plotting to blow up a subway? I haven't seen him do that.

But Hooper is complaining about a lousy numberplate on the basis that it has the numbers 14 and 88 on it? Come on, how sad is this?

It's time to stop taking crap from these Muslims who are very quiet when their co-religionists commit daily atrocities, yet find a very loud voice when somebody criticises them and objects to their murderous acts, such as the owner of that vehicle with the 9/11 atrocity on the tailgate.

Posted by: ziggyzap | April 29, 2010 3:11 PM

The fact that Mr Story is registered on several white power and white nationalist forums on the internet tells me that yes, this is indeed racist.

The fact that Mr Story posted the exact meaning behind the numbers 14 and 88 on a white nationalist forum tells me that yes, this is indeed racist.

Do an google search for "Confederado" on sites like whitenationalist.info and you'll see the hate that this man has posted in the past. You'll also see that the user "Confederado" says his last name is "Story", that he hates "brown people" and refers to our country as the "jewnited states of america".

This man is a patriot, sadly he's a patriot for a white america that lost the civil war 150 years ago. I hope he loses his handicap placard, his truck and his job.

Posted by: slungsolow | April 29, 2010 4:27 PM

Check out the dude's Facebook bio:

100% WHITE MAN, 100% ARYAN, 100% PRO-LIFE (Children are innocent), 100% PRO DEATH PENALTY (Criminal Scum aren't innocent).
Over the past 28 years; I, like David Duke, have had an Awakening.

Sure, he's one of those non-racist white supremacists, right? After all, it's not like people who declare themselves "100% ARAYAN" are usually racists.

Read it yourself at

Posted by: elizestrada | April 29, 2010 5:06 PM

I was willing to give it a pass until the evidence started mounting up that Story was the same individual as was participating on several neo-Nazi forums. The message stripped of all meaning could still be considered meaningless but I think it's clear there was a motivation behind choosing that message that was not innocent and puts to question his honesty in responding to the Post's questions.

Posted by: washpost18 | April 29, 2010 6:48 PM

Whether or not he meant the license plate to have a racist meaning (he did), they're just random numbers. I'm sure I could make up something about my license plate too. I feel like them taking away his license plate was just a retaliation against the rest of the truck's images.

Posted by: ashdaleuf | April 30, 2010 1:36 PM