Tax Day: Did you get money back this year?

Today is tax day. Did you luck out and get money back this year?

By Jodi Westrick  |  April 15, 2010; 10:59 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should 'Twilight' be banned? | Next: Should paddling be allowed in schools?

Comments

Yes I did!

Posted by: beeker25 | April 15, 2010 1:19 PM

Yes, but no matter . . . Beck/Hannity/Palin/Limburger/O'Reilly/Rove et al. will NEVER admit that OBAMA is the one who helped us under $70,000/yr folks have a tax break!

Posted by: lufrank1 | April 15, 2010 1:52 PM

No, Thanks Obummer!!! First time I have ever paid in.

Posted by: kitzdakat | April 15, 2010 1:55 PM

To the libs at the Wash Post, it's an overpayment. Refund or money back suggests you won something. Legalized theft, pure and simple.

Posted by: RB1019 | April 15, 2010 2:24 PM

I never plan to get money back, I try to adjust my withholding to have it come out about even or if anything, pay a small amount. But this year I had the "luck" to have very low dividend and interest income as well as very substantial medical expenses. For these reasons I am getting a fairly hefty refund but that was not my intention going in.

Posted by: catherine3 | April 15, 2010 3:18 PM

I filed using turbotax and expected to get $400 back. but instead, the IRS corrected my tax return and sent me over $600 back.

Thank you President Obama!

Posted by: MarilynManson | April 15, 2010 3:29 PM

I'm fine with people not paying taxes as long as they don't use roads, municipal water, electric, the postal service, or expect police, fire service. Or protection from foreign powers by the armed forces.

Our tax rates are lower than in Reagan's day. I had lower taxes this year than any year previous -- two child credits and a credit for installing a more environmentally friendly hvac -- something that will end up also saving me money in the years to come. There is no substance to froth.

Posted by: minorthread | April 15, 2010 3:35 PM

Every year, Bush was in office, I ended up owing taxes at the end of the year. Why? Very simple, bush didn't actually cut taxes on most of us, he tossed us a table scrap by lowering the withholding. This is the first year since Clinton was in office that I received an actual tax cut. I hate to impose facts and spoil the Tea Party's fun but those are facts.

It is curious to not that the Tea Party folks complain about paying taxes that benefit others. I wonder how loudly they complain about other people paying taxes for things that benefit them?

Posted by: risejugger | April 15, 2010 4:16 PM

Doesn't matter which side of the fence you're on. This is a supremely meaningless poll. It's all about withholding and/or quarterly payments and whether they were too high or too low in any particular case. It has ZERO to do with the rate of taxation.

Posted by: st50taw | April 15, 2010 4:30 PM

"Did you Luck Out and get money back?" Are you for real Wapo? No wonder the average american is so clueless about finance. It's not luck, it's based on withholding rates. Which we can adjust. Smart (unlucky?) people arrange their withholding to NOT get money back. If you get money back you've been lending the government your money at an interest rate of ZERO.

Posted by: martintomsal | April 15, 2010 5:03 PM

Yes, I will get a refund in the 'near' future... but it is entirely the result of my having lost my job last April, and per tax code, I was required to pay at least 100-110% of my prior years tax obligation.
IMHO, A real kick in the seat of my pants while I continued to search for a new job, and had to write large Estimated Tax checks quarterly, so the money I'll get back was MY MONEY that had been loaned interest-free to the Treasury.
Yes, I'm relieved, but since all I'm getting back are the overpayments I was required to make, I'm not overjoyed or anything.... after all, it is my money they're returning to me.

Posted by: dbsinOakRidge | April 15, 2010 5:05 PM

We owed money to the Feds, but got a refund from DC, for a net refund of $66, which almost exactly covered the cost of tax software and e-filing. All in all, a wash.

Posted by: EinDC | April 15, 2010 5:53 PM

To the learning disabled who still believe that blaming Obama for the economy is being realistic: your heroic Republican leaders broke the bank with corporate handouts, military overspending, and slashing taxes for the wealthiest (both major parties are guilty, but Reagan and W. Bush were guilty of going to dangeruos extremes in these areas). You may want to consider returning to reality before opening your mouth.

Posted by: revbookburn | April 15, 2010 6:34 PM

We were pleasantly surprised with a refund that included President Obama's "Make Work Pay" credit! Perhaps "luck" isn't the right word (as some posters are saying, because a refund truly is situational by household), but we typically plan our taxes down to the dollar and almost always owe something. This year we had no expectations for a refund, so luck seems about as good a description as anything. I just ordered a desperately needed new laptop with the money....so right back into the economy it goes!

Posted by: isle2isle | April 15, 2010 7:09 PM

No I did not. I was laid off Dec 8,2008 and had to pay more than $19,000 for 2009 in Fed, and two states because of the way I was laid off. It was very unfair and broke me. Obama is not going to help any one. He is out to destroy the little people and the wealthy ones that use to provide jobs. My job went to India and them my own country took every dime I had along with the 2 States I had to pay. BS is what it is. The IRS progressive tax system needs to be done away with and create a national tax of 10 to 15% for all making above $20,000 a year and those under that should pay 2 to 5%. This is what I call fair. EVERYONE pays something.
If you do the math we would have more money than we need that is if the crazy mongers in congress don't spend it all.

Posted by: drdavisdr | April 15, 2010 8:36 PM

Thanks to the M form, I got $700 back, I usually don't get anything!! Whatever the M form is.

Posted by: tmcproductions2004 | April 15, 2010 8:42 PM