How did Betty White do on Saturday Night Live?

By Jodi Westrick  |  May 10, 2010; 10:03 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Will the market's reversal reignite the U.S recession? | Next: Are you now more likely to apply for federal jobs?

Comments

She was hilarious. Perfect timing and delivery. Best SNL episode in years. I was impressed that she was in every skit. This shows that SNL could be better with talented host instead of the latest person who is promoting some project.

Posted by: loved1 | May 10, 2010 11:06 AM

The writing on SNL is pretty bad, but Betty White is a genuinely funny person with great comic timing.

Posted by: jake14 | May 10, 2010 11:16 AM

She was Excellent! the best in a long while.

Posted by: Badwisky | May 10, 2010 11:30 AM

She was good, but the show stank. She did the best she could with poor material. It's not her fault the writers could only think of two jokes for her -- over and over again, as SNL does: age-inappropriate comments by an old lady and jokes about being old. Betty White learns her lines, can act, and has great timing (See "What's this show's excuse?"). Too bad those skills weren't employed better.

Posted by: SilverSpringer1 | May 10, 2010 12:10 PM

The monologue was great. The skits were hit-or-miss. Great seeing the show's alumni with Ms. White!

Posted by: twasneva | May 10, 2010 12:23 PM

Muffin.

Posted by: dkp01 | May 10, 2010 1:11 PM

she's a lesbian!!!! heheheh

muffin LOL haven't had a cherry since 1939!

Posted by: nall92 | May 10, 2010 1:59 PM

Live sketch comedy has always been a challenge for SNL.

People have been saying the show stinks ever since it first aired in 1975, yet tell me again how many famous comedians has the show given us over the years?

I still watch every week. If you can 30 minutes of laffs out of its 90, then you're doing quite well.

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | May 10, 2010 2:56 PM

She was fabulous especially the PBS sequence. Now where's her Hasty Pudding award.

Posted by: rlsrd | May 10, 2010 3:37 PM

I couldn't stand to watch the offensive, unfunny skits, but her delivery and performance was spot-on.

(Maybe the two skits I saw were the only dregs of the show, but wouldn't you put your funny stuff on first?)

Posted by: cfow1 | May 10, 2010 3:43 PM

Betty White finally made me like the MacGruber sketches.

Posted by: dkp01 | May 10, 2010 4:55 PM

Prefer Tina Fey, certainly.

more laughs less old smutt. Smutt is fine, but old smutt is a little cringey, is it not?

Anybody who thot this the best show in months didn't watch the Palin stuff. Which was REALLY funny. And topical, unlike
some old muffins. God.

Posted by: whistling | May 10, 2010 5:22 PM

Prefer Tina Fey, certainly.

some old muffins. God.

Posted by: whistling | May 10, 2010 5:41 PM

NOW, we can understand why the Tea Party has made some headway

in which we all thought was a relatively civilized, sophisticated country...

If yacking about an 88 year old's "muffin" is considered funny...
not once but 10 or so times,
we're third world lower slobovia.

Watch out below.

Posted by: whistling | May 10, 2010 5:47 PM

Sorry I can't join the sycophants who think Betty White is 'brilliantly funny.'

Yes, I like her, and I think she has comedic talent -

but to me, Betty White is a ONE TRICK PONY.

The 80+ year old woman who is horny, talks about her muff, and makes sure to get one expletive / sentence bleeped out,
gets OLD fairly quickly.

Amusing, yes. Funny? Sometimes ...

"Brilliant?" ... please.

Posted by: daveque | May 10, 2010 7:26 PM

The material was horrible, but Ms. White's timing and delivery made up for it. I watched the entire show, and I haven't done that in over 20 years.

Since I haven't watched the show in so long, I was actually surprised at all of the homophobic and "muffin" jokes. It was not politcally correct, it was offensive at times, and most of all, it wasn't funny, and isn't that the point of Saturday Night Live?

Last thought, what the heck is McGruber all about? The concept isn't even funny.

Posted by: nativewashingtonian3 | May 10, 2010 10:01 PM