Is Floyd Landis telling the truth?

Disgraced American cyclist Floyd Landis has admitted to systematic use of performance-enhancing drugs and accused seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong of involvement in doping, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  May 20, 2010; 10:45 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Would you bike to work? | Next: Does ye olde Senate need new blood?

Comments

It's beyond me why anyone would like Lance Armstrong. Cycling is an incredibly boring sport that's all about the cheating. Armstrong is a deeply boring man who dominated the sport by obviously out-cheating the others. His only apparent purpose in life is to squeeze as much money as possible out of endorsements and ads. He's such a corporate shill, I'm surprised he hasn't got advertisements tattooed on his forehead.

Posted by: kenonwenu | May 20, 2010 11:21 AM

Landis needs to just go away.

Posted by: HerrGrumpus | May 20, 2010 12:25 PM

To some, bicycling can be like broccoli. But as many parents say, "try it you might like it." Speaking from a place of ignorance, though, doesn't help support any argument.

Cycling is certainly NOT boring. Yes, there are stages where not much happens until the final 100 meters, but for that time many fans are on the edge of their seats.

The Tour de France is the number one spectator sport in the world (after the world cup) so, obviously there are many who would disagree with the statement that it is boring.

I would simply suggest actually watching it before making such a blanket statement.

Lance Armstrong is certainly not boring either, and his endorsements are nowhere near as numerous or as lucrative as, say, Tiger Woods or Kobe Bryant. Further, a large portion of his money goes to his foundation: Livestrong.com.

So, before you speak about the man and sport, make sure you're speaking from knowledge and experience.

In addition, cyclists get caught for doping because they are TESTED very often -even when they are not in a race. Which is more than any of the other sports do to reduce doping. I assure you, like today's headline indicates, that if other sports tested as frequently as Cycling does, there would be many more dopers found in those sports than actually in cycling.

I'm off for my ride. Enjoy the day and share the road.

Posted by: topwriter | May 20, 2010 12:29 PM

'International Cycling Union (UCI) president Pat McQuaid said Landis' allegations were "scandalous and mischievous."
"These guys coming out now with things like this from the past is only damaging the sport," McQuaid told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Thursday. "If they've any love for the sport they wouldn't do it."'

Striking that he says "things like this from the past" rather than "lies".

Topwriter: "...there are stages where not much happens until the final 100 meters, but for that time many fans are on the edge of their seats."

What an endorsement. Some fans find it gripping for nearly 0.1% of the average race. Cycling is utterly predictable, you know exactly where everyone's going, the only question is who'll get there a fraction before the others. And the answer is: The guy who's taken the best dope.

Posted by: JenDray | May 20, 2010 1:05 PM

I've always been suspicious of Lance Armstrong. The way he dropped Jan Ulrich on the Alp d'Huez was nearly superhuman. And then later we found out Jan was doping! It seems to me that it takes a doper to beat a doper at that level.

But I wish I was wrong.

Posted by: RichardinPasadena | May 20, 2010 1:36 PM

Is Landis lying? In retrospect was Jose Conseco lying? NO! Lance Armstrong is very arrogant and used his illness as a cloak to shield himself from the obvisious doping questions. Pathetic!

Posted by: Helpsomeone | May 20, 2010 1:47 PM

"Disgraced American cyclist Floyd Landis has admitted to systematic use of performance-enhancing drugs and accused seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong of involvement in doping, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday."

====
Nobody will ever know the extent of doping that has enveloped sports and athletes since the 1970s.

I for one, however, am still waiting for Lance Armstrong to admit his miraculous cancer "recovery" is as fake as his denial of using dope to win races.

Posted by: perryneheum | May 20, 2010 2:12 PM

For those of us who read and listened to Landis' fervent denials and boohoo-poor-me-everyone-hates-me-everyone's-trying-to-screw-me garbage, this admission is promotes him to the top of the lying weasel awards.

Lance, on the other hand, can show years of top of the line, cutting edge training backed by the finest sports physiologists in the world at the University of Texas. He can show you proof of his development in testing done practically every day of his professional career. He's a Frankenstein rebuilt from scratch after cancer took away all of his muscle development. Armstrong has clinical proof that he can naturally uptake more oxygen than practically anyone in sports. He has passed EVERY test he's ever taken.

Lance Armstrong is probably the greatest endurance athlete who ever lived and putrid midgets like Landis, a demonstrated liar of near sociopathic dimensions, can spew their sour grapes all they want to try to tear down giants like Armstrong in a pathetic attempt to make it look like everyone else does it.

Don't believe a word his crap.

Posted by: joebanks | May 20, 2010 2:35 PM

Let me put it this way. Landis had to know that a wall would fall on him if he accused Armstrong. The Livestrong Machine would pedal into high gear and he'd be throwing away a lot of his past support. So I'm inclined to believe him.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | May 20, 2010 2:37 PM

I believe Landis - he had everything to lose & not a lot to gain from saying something, unless you consider reclaiming cycling from the dopers to be worth something.

Posted by: suzanne3 | May 20, 2010 2:47 PM

I don't understand this. Floyd Landis has done one thing consistently for four years: lie. Actually, no, he's done two things. He's lied and he's insisted that his word should be taken over the results of medical testing.

On the other hand there's Lance Armstrong who is probably the most drug tested athlete in the history of drug testing athletes. He's been tested by the Tour, he's been tested by cycling, he's undergone voluntary testing, and every time he's come up clean. However, Landis (who, let's recap, has been lying to us for years) comes along and says Lance was doping and people believe him. Once again this is Landis asking the world to take his word over the results of constant medical testing.

This has nothing to do with being a fan of Lance, this has to do with pure logic. On one side we have a proven and repeated liar, and on the other we have years of medical testing.

Posted by: thurdl01 | May 20, 2010 2:51 PM

Topwriter, do not confuse Livestrong with the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Livestrong is a for profit venture. The LAF is the advocacy organization, and they are suspect because it is estimated that 45% of their collections go to overhead.

Posted by: yogabiker | May 20, 2010 3:06 PM

I have to agree with Thurdlo1 on this. I rooted for Landis and gave him the benefit of the doubt for over a year after he was accused of cheating. But Landis has proven time and time again that he is a liar. Now, he is miraculously telling the truth?? I will need a lot more evidence before I am willing to accept his word about anyone or anything.

David McGee
Virginia

Posted by: dhmcgee | May 20, 2010 3:08 PM

One thing I AM sure of, Armstrong is a lot smarter then Landis.

Posted by: gareacy | May 20, 2010 3:57 PM

Dear Floyd Landis,

If there is one rule in life, its that you don't rat on your colleagues (unless its murder).

Posted by: kenk3 | May 20, 2010 4:23 PM

I've always found Armstrong to be arrogant, exploitative, mean-spirited, and waaaaay too impressed with himself. He treats other people badly -- especially women.

Yes, I do believe what Landis is saying. The "what does he have to gain?" argument works for me.

Posted by: haveaheart | May 20, 2010 4:30 PM

It feels like people want to believe Landis because they don't like Armstrong as a person. And I have to say, from what I've heard he doesn't sound like someone I'd really like if I met him in real life. But there's just no overlooking that Armstrong has been tested constantly, and far in excess of any other racer. He'd have been caught.

What does Landis have to gain? We're talking about him again, aren't we? He wants a new 15 minutes, and he wants people to pay him for his likely false stories, to pay him interview fees. This is a money move, and nothing more.

Posted by: thurdl01 | May 20, 2010 4:38 PM

For those of you who think pro cycling is boring, get on a bike and go try to ride 100 miles in one day. That may change your opinion. Even if it doesn't, just change the channel and shut your mouth.

It wouldn't be shocking to me if Armstrong doped at some point, but either way, Floyd Landis is a moron. He's just doing this because he's jealous of all the other successful US cyclists who either have not doped or have not gotten caught.

Posted by: marylandpkp | May 20, 2010 4:43 PM

Ah, the comments above are full of bottom-feeding cynicism and jealously.

Posted by: dave19 | May 20, 2010 5:20 PM

Ah, the comments above are full of bottom-feeding cynicism and jealously.

Posted by: dave19 | May 20, 2010 5:20 PM

Remember when Floyd Landis threatened to tell the world about Greg LeMond being molested as a child, if G.L. testified in Floyd's trial? Floyd Landis is a total scum bag. He has zero credibility.

Posted by: JoeMc | May 20, 2010 5:55 PM

My take on it is that landis is telling the truth. He knows that he is risking to get sued for libel. If he's found guilty, he may have to pay damages that will make a few people very happy. But then again, before he's found guilty, things will have to be investigated, and there are enough elements in his story that can be objectively checked. It's not just his word against armstrongs. That's why the counter attacks were against his credibility, not against the essence of what he said. I strongly suspect that for one reason or another, he has decided to take some people with him in his downfall.
Besides, there are already to many signs pointing towards doping use by armstrong. Anybody who knows a thing or two about cycling believes that armstrong is a doper, just like the rest of them. Maybe that's why landis is angry: he's the one who got cought, while he knows that the others are just as guilty as him.

Posted by: karlbelgium | May 20, 2010 6:04 PM

Considering the amorality of the times, it is more likely than not.

Posted by: zephyr99 | May 20, 2010 6:27 PM

I can't believe there are still people who think Armstrong didn't cheat. He cheated on his wife and kids, cheating on the bike races was nothing. Wonder if he's related to a golfer with the same problems and using the same enhancing drugs?

Posted by: GordonShumway | May 20, 2010 11:59 PM

I know very little about cycling but I do know there's no love lost between Greg LeMond and Armstrong and I imagine the substance of these charges has something to do with that. I always thought LeMond represented himself and our country in a good way.

Posted by: vgkerrigan | May 21, 2010 8:26 AM

Landis has changed his story so many times since he testified under oath he has no credibility whatsoever. Anyone can make any charge against a rival or competitor while lacking any evidence, but should they all be investigated? That is not the way sports, or society as a whole should work. That is called McCarthyism.
Furthermore, Landis' self righteousness, saying he only wants to clean up the sport is laughable, considering he tried to blackmail Armstrong and Radio Shack into giving him a ride before he came out with his latest contradictory allegations.
Sorry, but Floyd Landis is a pathetic, vindictive individual. Believe him at your own risk.
As for LeMonde, I admire him immensely but he seems to have become very jealous of Armstrong since he was dethroned as America's Number One Cycling Hero, which is reflected in his comments.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | May 21, 2010 10:08 PM