Surprised Tipper and Al Gore are splitting up?

If you were going to bet a political marriage would fail, Al and Tipper Gore's would have been about the last you'd pick. Which is why so many people -- strangers and friends -- were stunned by the news that just days after their 40th wedding anniversary, the Gores are separating. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  June 2, 2010; 10:05 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Online dating frauds? | Next: Would you 'friend' George W. Bush?

Comments

Gore has become so full of himself over the past ten years or so being the Great Wizard of the Global Warming Cult he probaly decided that old Tipper was just not worthy of his inflated view of himself.

Posted by: Pilot1 | June 2, 2010 1:00 PM

Why does anyone believe they share anything, anymore? He's busy building a climate empire, there's lots of bucks in it for him. What's her goal, or motivation?

Posted by: schafer-family | June 2, 2010 1:47 PM

Hey Pilot1, thanks for your uneducated, snarky crap. Give the man some credit, you may not like his politics but he focussed his attention on a true world issue that he felt was pressing and tried to do something about it. You have no idea what led to the divorce. It is a private issue.

Posted by: cadam72 | June 2, 2010 2:42 PM

People with causes eventually grow apart from family and friends. The cause becomes all consuming. Tipper figured she'd had enough years of it and wanted to be a normal person. Hot air boy thought different.

Posted by: FLvet | June 2, 2010 2:56 PM

I'm sure we'll know at least one side of the story through the autobiographical book (or update to such) that is surely to be written at some point.

Posted by: CMNC | June 2, 2010 5:11 PM

Divorce is always sad. Couples in distress forget or just choose to ignore what attracted them to each other in the first place. Instead of working on their relationship they quit on each other and quit on the families they have made. It is really sad for the children because part of their identity is being ripped apart. Though in this case I don't feel to sad for the snotty, self entitled Gore daughter. She's obviously a bioche so its nice to see her taken down a notch given the way she acted during the 2000 campaign aftermath.

Posted by: tmw-online | June 3, 2010 10:12 AM

Who would have thought that both Lou Reed and Keith Richards would outlive Michael Jackson...or that the Clinton's marriage outlast the Gore's?

Crazy stuff.

Still a classy couple, though, even as they separate.

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | June 3, 2010 12:27 PM

Tipper knew she was marrying a politician 40 years ago, so I doubt the speechifying and frequent road trips all of a sudden became a problem for her. Likewise, Al has long been used to Tipper's moralizing (remember her periodic fatwahs against Madonna back in the 80s?).

There's obviously a lot more going on than they've chosen to let us know about, and quite frankly it's their own damn business and not ours. Like Tony said, at least they're being classy and not trashy about it, and at least they stayed together until their kids were all well grown up.

Rush Limbaugh is getting married for the fourth time. Ya know what? I say good luck to him. I think his politics are reprehensible, but I still believe that everyone deserves a little happiness.

I'm surprised by the news, but then I don't know the Gores personally, so it really isn't any of my beeswax.

Posted by: JamesK1 | June 3, 2010 12:35 PM

I would chose a third option, "I do not care and fail to see why I should"

Posted by: teplicky101 | June 3, 2010 2:26 PM

I have been a Yellow Dog Democrat for 62 years but I am not blind.
Gore graciously conceded the illegal election to Bush when he should have fought fang and claw to get his rightful election.
The upside to this fiasco is that Leiberman isn't vice-president.
Gore may be fun in private but he is the most crashing public bore since Calvin Coolidge and always has been.
The ill-conceived, staged "kiss" was a hideous embarassment. Instead of looking "cool" Gore looked jerky and as if he were a 14 year-old trying his first kiss,and not very successfully.
He isn't and never has been an "Al". He was named Albert and as the only son of Tennessee aristocrats. I am sure they were totally appalled that their son and heir was ever called Al. Al is for New Jersey politicians, Mafia folks, Roman Catholics from New York and/or any large eastern or middle eastern state and just plain folks. The "Al" was a necessary and understandable political decision but it always made me uneasy.
He is an Albert.
Tipper was always too cool for him.
I'm glad he never became president.
He is totally right about global warming.
As Joe E. Lewis said in Some Like It Hot, "Nobody is perfect".

Posted by: m_richert | June 3, 2010 3:25 PM

I answered "no" not because I expected them to get divorced but because I don't know either of them personally and I don't know any intimate details about their marriage. Ordinary people get divorced all the time; the Gores' celebrity doesn't exempt them from this possibility. My reaction to the news was "huh" rather than "OMG! I can't believe it!".

Now if there turns out to be some TMZ-worthy juicy gossip behind this divorce, THEN I would be surprised. Al Gore is no Tiger Woods (or even a John Edwards).

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | June 3, 2010 4:16 PM