Would you let your child sail around the world alone?

Rescue boats were sent to the southern Indian Ocean to retrieve 16-year-old sailor Abby Sunderland, who was attempting to become the youngest person to sail around the world. Abby's father, Laurence Sunderland, dismissed critics who said it was too dangerous to let someone so young sail around the world alone, saying, "Sailing and life in general is dangerous. Teenagers drive cars. Does that mean teenagers shouldn't drive a car? I think people who hold that opinion have lost their zeal for life. They're living in a cotton-wool tunnel to make everything safe." Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  June 11, 2010; 2:04 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Which is your favorite World Cup advertisement? | Next: Should the 'ella' contraceptive pill be legal?

Comments

Hell no.

Posted by: igsoper | June 11, 2010 5:40 PM

If my child were as seaworthy and knowledgeable as this young woman---absolutely yes.

Driving on DC streets on the other hand is statistically 1000 times worse. And yet the "helicopter" parents can't envision a problem on the streets but think that capability on the high seas is a tragedy.

Posted by: mil1 | June 11, 2010 6:16 PM

I wouldn't have signed off on her trip, if she had been my daughter. But I have a lot of respect for Abby Sunderland, and hope and pray that she gets rescued within the next few hours.

Posted by: chuck8 | June 11, 2010 9:11 PM

Reading the stories it's obvious they come from a savvy sailing family, with her brother having completed the same feat. However, it's also apparent they rushed her out to sail in a dangerous season in the Indian Ocean (which the parents absolutely must have known) to attempt this "youngest person to sail" record, which speaks to the recklessness of the parents.

Posted by: tallyho1 | June 12, 2010 12:10 AM

What an idiotic question. Of course Abby was right to embark upon this adventure. Losing one's mast can happen if you're 16 or 36. She was prepared as evidenced by the beacons, and now she'll be rescued.

I don't know this girl, but I'm wise enough not to judge her based solely upon her age. If I had a seafaring family and a child of mine asked to do something like this, after much preparation I would let her live her dream.

Posted by: herrbrahms | June 12, 2010 12:13 AM

This is the height of narcissistic and irresponsible behavior

This 16 year old CHILD cannot makenher own decision to embark on. Such a dangerous journey regardless of how stupid the father is

This father either a selfish pig or just after drumming up his yacht business

He must pay for the rescue effort

Likely a tea-bagged party supporter or right wing Republican too

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | June 12, 2010 12:44 AM

Abby S can sail around the world with her family and enjoy the luxury of this sport as much as she likes

But to allow her to go on this dangerous journey is child abuse

I think child protective services needs to get involved to prevent future idiotic trips such as this

government of Australia wisely banned a child to embark on similar trip.

Child neglect or abuse? You choose

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | June 12, 2010 12:48 AM

I wouldn't allow my husband (who can sail and was once a navigator in the navy), who is middle aged to embark on such a trip alone. Nor would he allow me to do so. It seems foolhardy at best, and insane at worst to pursue such a feat, especially given that well-known sailors have said as much.

Posted by: readerny | June 12, 2010 1:02 AM

PARENTS SHOULD BE HELD FOR CHILD ABUSE!

Does the STATE NOT have statutes to protect children from MORON parents? Oh Boy, let's send Junior to the moon and see if he can make it back alive!!

The parents belong in JAIL.

Posted by: gglenc | June 12, 2010 1:15 AM

Hell yes. What's the matter with you people? What is this mentality of no? This is the problem with Americans. They project their own definition of living, of morality, of values on everyone else as if what they believe is the right and only way to live. For the sake of humanity, there are more ways to live a great life than shutting yourself in some closet and hiding from the world. I think it's great this kid found a way to LIVE and make the most of life. Is the whole world gone mad? I don't get you people. More kids like Ms. Sunderland! Give it another go after you review this attempt. More power to you!

Posted by: khan0000 | June 12, 2010 1:51 AM

Very poor judgment on the part of both the parents and the child.

Remember, the brain has not fully developed at age 17. Apparently the parents also have underdeveloped gray matter as well.

Posted by: hfaulk01 | June 12, 2010 5:10 AM

A 16 year old child. I'm sorry, I don't care how experienced she is. This almost falls under the category of child neglect.

Posted by: tieege | June 12, 2010 5:42 AM

The stupidity of the question is the answer. of course not.

Posted by: lc347 | June 12, 2010 5:53 AM

Of course not -- and what kind of idiot parent compares driving a car to sailing alone around the world?

Posted by: Jayne | June 12, 2010 6:33 AM

Anyone who would encourage or require(as father and FINANCIER)that their sixteen-yr-old wait a few years before taking off alone on a sailboat for 'around the world' has "lost their zest for life"? Sometimes a parent has to make a decision about what's best for their CHILD, regardless of what the child really really wants to do. Maybe Mr. Sunderland knows deep down he might have made the wrong decision and that's why he feels the need to portray those who disagree with him as people who will "die in front of the television".

Posted by: SamBrown2 | June 12, 2010 7:54 AM

This girl was adrift in an area known for pirates and sharks. I wonder if the parents thought about how they'd feel if she wasn't able to be rescued. I feel sorry for a kid whose parents tell her this is normal...that you don't need a little maturity and wisdom before embarking on a stunt like this.

Posted by: KKRUSHLOW | June 12, 2010 7:55 AM

The number of helicopter parents in here is just amazing; humans are wired to seek adventure. Abby has the skills and equipment survive, whther she's adrift in the Southern ocean or the Potomac.
It's just as easy for a kid to become stranded on the Chesapeake or Potomac as it is the Indian Ocean; while the chances of rescue are more likely, the water is just as deadly. She knew what she was getting into, I say good for her for trying something that 99.9% of us will never have the chance to do.

Posted by: grasonvilleed | June 12, 2010 9:30 AM

Hey Grasonvilleed, isn't the fact that she's having to be rescued proof that she doesn't have the skills and equipment to survive?

Posted by: Jayne | June 12, 2010 9:32 AM

A 16-year-old's brain isn't even close to being fully developed so no matter how experienced she is, it is NOT the same as a 36-year-old doing the same. I'm happy this didn't end tragically.

Posted by: jackiesmith1 | June 12, 2010 10:15 AM

Who is paying the tab for the rescue for this ill-conceived stunt?

Posted by: nfer4 | June 12, 2010 10:15 AM

Having followed (from the safety of my computer) a number of adventurers, I can see that Abby Sunderland shows every sign of being a mature and capable person, who had done a good job of preparing for her circumnavigation attempt. That it ended in failure is bad luck, but her survival and prompt rescue proves that her training and equipment were adequate.

Posted by: HavHest | June 12, 2010 10:21 AM

If my child had grown up on the water as Abby has, I say why not. Her brother did it successfully the year before and another girl just completed the same trip a few months ago. The world needs risk takers. For the people who think the family should pay for her rescue, do you expect the city to bill people for putting out a house fire? Get a life.

Posted by: AReaderOutsideTheBeltway | June 12, 2010 10:23 AM

@ Jayne: The fact that she's been pulled from the boat alive despite the conditions around her is a testament to her ability to survive. I wish more 16 year olds were like her. I wish i had been like her when I was 16.

Posted by: AReaderOutsideTheBeltway | June 12, 2010 10:27 AM

Assuming my child was a capable sailor, with a capable sailboat (not like the day-sailers you see on the Bay, but an ocean-worthy sailboat), and a sound plan, yes I would.

To Jayne: Abby is alive and well, so apparently she does have the skills and equipment to survive.

Posted by: Frazil | June 12, 2010 10:30 AM

She does not have the skills to survive - she was rescued. Let the family pay for this stunt.

Posted by: truth1 | June 12, 2010 10:45 AM

We live in the United States of America, where we talk up - and routinely distort the notion of - freedom. This girl and her family have exercised their individual and family autonomies, the very same that we claim to cherish in the U.S. As a result, a 16 year old was mentored and supported in her quest to a solo-circumnavigation of the globe. How wonderful it is that our country supports parents who choose to support their children's adventures, as well as those who choose to prevent their children from playing a sport, or dating, or going to a mall.

How beautiful it is that we can make individual decisions as families.

This is no issue for the government to intervene in.

Nor is an issue for appropriate for others to project their fears, insecurities, or preferences onto another family.

The Sutherlands clearly were experienced and very knowledgable about the endeavor their daughter had proposed, and they do not appear to have just said, "Yes, you can," and left it at that. They were intimately involved with Abby's training, boat preparation, and provided her with support via video and satellite phone, even meeting her on land, to address unforeseen issues on the boat.

IMHO, we have become a culture that to a much larger degree than necessary, shields our children from both risk and responsibility, thus making the transition to proactive, responsible, autonomous adulthood much more difficult - and delayed - than it need be.

Once Abby comes to terms with the end of this particular adventure, I posit that her experience on the high seas, responsible for her life and boat, will prepare her immesurably for her next adventure, whether that be in a boat, in business, as a parent, or all of the above.

I have only admiration and respect for Abby and her family for their willingness to support their children's dreams in a responsible manner.

Cheers and Love to those willing to provide both challenge and support their children in their development, be for becoming a cook, a parent, an artist, a mountain climber. . . .

Posted by: dontknowmind | June 12, 2010 10:49 AM

So at 17 you can join the Marines and die for your country but at 16 you're a child who can't sail across the ocean? At 14 you can be a single parent, but at 16 you need mom and dad to drive you to school? Gimme a break, we need more kids like Abby Sunderland who are responsible for themselves at 16.

Posted by: mikey999 | June 12, 2010 10:54 AM

Self-absorbed parents are a horrible thing to watch. First, the balloon boy's father. Now this one.

Supposedly, women have better sense. Where were the mothers?

Posted by: eman2 | June 12, 2010 11:16 AM

Would I let my 16 year old child sail around the world? I might, depending on the child.

Would I encourage my 16 year old child to sail alone, for a record, rushing into a new boat, for a record, setting sail at the worst season for that part of the world, for a record? Hell, no!

Really, outside of the record, what part of the experience is ruined by Abby having a companion? It wouldn't have to be an older person, it could be another teenager. Another person to take watch, another person to shoot ideas off of. This father keeps stressing how it's so impoortant that she's doing this rather than sitting on a couch or God forbid, driving...why couldn't she and her brother have done this thing together?

If it hadn't been for the record, she could have sailed that part of the world in a safer season and taken her new boat on a few shake down cruises.

This father seems to care about the record more than the experience - and that's sad.

Frazil, Abby does seem to have had the skills to survive. Skilled sailors die every year.

Posted by: brcollins42 | June 12, 2010 11:22 AM

Ya, she should be home cruzin' and twitten in the mall, safe from that dangerous ocean??!! She is an accomplished young, mature women. She is to be congratulated, as are her parents for encouraging her. Sorry for the broken mast. Hopefully she will try again. Congratulations anyway, Abby.

Posted by: elwoll | June 12, 2010 11:28 AM

What ever happened to her could happen to any adventure sports guy even adult. Are all adventure sports like climbing mount everest would be banned since they need to be rescued occasionally? There is nothing to suggest yet that what happened was due to her being 16 years old. At least no information to that count is available yet. So why to bring the issue of her being minor. If one is against all such sports ok it could be debated.

Posted by: akkashyap | June 12, 2010 11:45 AM

Ahhh...but if it were only to "live a dream". What was it really? It was an attempt to set a record. All else is fiction by one side or the other to justify.

Posted by: neil01907 | June 12, 2010 12:08 PM

Absolutely Not

Posted by: stswork | June 12, 2010 12:12 PM

@brcollins42

Do you really think having a second person in the boat would have stopped the waves from cracking her mast?

Posted by: AReaderOutsideTheBeltway | June 12, 2010 12:15 PM

Again,
Absolutely fine for a 16 year old CHILD to sail with her family and adventure as she fancies

Absolutely a crime to allow her to sail around the world alone at 16.

California government and child protective services must intervene to prevent such atrocity from recurring in the future.

Abby Sunderland Is a capable and smart person who lacks proper parenting

Again, to the thrill seekers:

Adventure and sport, Good

Putting your child in harms way for any reason, Bad

Clear case of child neglect. If the father is benefiting financially, then clear case of child abuse

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | June 12, 2010 12:34 PM

How about "It's none of my business" as a response?
I think we should let these people live their own lives.

Posted by: Lamentations | June 12, 2010 12:42 PM

Because people have to go rescue her so it's not solely her life they are putting at risk.

Posted by: jackiesmith1 | June 12, 2010 12:51 PM

Because people have to go rescue her so it's not solely her life they are putting at risk;
___________________
Do you people have teens who drive? I would recommend that you all take their licences away. In fact the states of Virginia, Maryland and DC should rule no driving before age 21 as brains aren't developed yet and these teens put other people at risk.

You are all being hypocritical if we in fact have driving teens. Statistically which is what people seem more interested in versus personal responsibly, teens are more likely to be killed and to kill in auto accidents and more likely to cause them. I know of no one who traveled around the world who caused a higher statistical rate.

Abby Sunderland has been sailing since age 2 (not as a passager but as "crew"). Her parents didn't encourage her; they couldn't discourage her and felt it better she travel with their help versus "sneeking" out to try on her own. How do I know? Reading, lots of reading--which few here seem to want to undertake.

Good Grief people--it's you who needs to grow up. My paternal grandparents were married and had a child by 16; both worked fulltime jobs--as waitress and miner; my maternal parents were "show" people--my grandmother was traveling with a "circus" doing "little Egypt" at age 13. I realize none of you find this acceptable now but you know, none of my grandparents would consider you adult either. LOL

Posted by: mil1 | June 12, 2010 1:19 PM

I've met 12 year olds who have more solid decision making skills and are more mature than most 30 year olds. Abby's adventure isn't about her mom or her dad. Maybe it is about sibling rivalry -- which is healthy! I have a 2 year-old daughter and I hope that when she gets older she wants an adventure as exciting and fun as Abby's. Regarding the cost of the rescue, I believe that the Australians commented that it was their job to rescue her and they hoped the same would be done by Americans if the situation was reversed. Life is short, LIVE IT.

Posted by: 18thGAmericanGirl | June 12, 2010 1:56 PM

No way I would allow a daughter of mine to go alone in a sea expedition like this one regardless of how much training she has! The parents should pay for the rescue efforts that other countries had engaged in to save this child! Some tax payers in Australia are upset about this and rightly so due to the negligence of the parents! I'm glad she made it but this feat risks are greater than the benefits! What this parents were thinking? Idiots or what?

Posted by: txq1Bird | June 12, 2010 1:57 PM

As a firefighter for almost 40 years I have been on my share of "rescues" and I am tired of these folks who seek notoriety and then when things go wrong call for help and put my brothers and sisters into jeopardy to save them. Not to mention the cost to the taxpayers for these rescues. If it were up to me anyone going on one of these excursions would be required to carry GPS and purchase a $1million policy to pay for their rescue. If they don't then you are on your own, don't call us....If she had made it the taxpayers wouldn't have gotten a cut of the money she made on the book and speaking circuit.

Posted by: rsteffens1 | June 12, 2010 2:04 PM

The numbers are horrifying.

Hate to think of this nation in the hands of risk-averse young women and men whose experience of life has been so limited by their parents. Endless generations of the wrong kind of terrified, moralistic "conservatives"! Scaredy-cats dominated by serial what-if scenarios! Enough already!

Posted by: texassideoats | June 12, 2010 2:08 PM

I agree with most parents that they should not allow their "precious babies" to attempt any activity requiring skill or judgement that involves life-threatening risk.

Most of these "precious babies" will be living at home after college, and still unable to balance a checkbook.

This is not the fault of the children nearly so much as the parents.

Posted by: OldUncleTom | June 12, 2010 3:02 PM

She is a CHILD!!!!!

Posted by: gitouttahere | June 12, 2010 3:14 PM

These parents are idiots! The father sounds Australian. Apparantly living vicariously through their children. Seems to be more common these days. They obviously have more money than they know what to do with. Why not send the kid down to the Gulf to help instead of risking the kid's life for some fame. Reminds me a of the parents of John Walker Lind. They let that kid go to Yemen when he was 16 and look what happened to him. are they insane? I find it to be quite obnoxious. I hope they are investigated.

Posted by: daygrrrrl | June 12, 2010 3:19 PM

Shades of Balloon-Boy...

Posted by: oypay | June 12, 2010 3:27 PM

"If she were my daughther, I'd..."

"What would you do, Daddy?"

"If she were my daughther, I'd..."

"What would you do, Daddy?"

"Well, if she were my daughther, I'd..."

"What would you do, Daddy?"

(singing) "I'd cover that girl with chocolate syrup..."

-- F. Zappa

Posted by: trippin | June 12, 2010 3:44 PM

All 16 year olds should HAVE to sail around the world solo. The years of preparation it would require would keep them occupied and off the streets. Those that survived the trip would give us superior 17 year olds. Win-win for society.

Posted by: brothertobrother | June 12, 2010 4:29 PM

Ridiculous question. She is who she is; her parents are who they are. Her potential is her own. Her brother has already sailed around the world and she is apparently more competent at sixteen than the vast majority will ever be at any age. Why must we judge everyone the same? Mozart was composing symphonies at ten; Alexander commanded his first army at sixteen and two years later conquered the whole of Greece. And for our part we invented teen agers and prolonged adolescence.

Posted by: malafry | June 12, 2010 4:33 PM

Although I admire the pluck of a 16 year old who wants to tackle such a task, I have to conclude that her "parents" are that in name only.

Posted by: ihave4ducks | June 12, 2010 5:04 PM

Like bro-to-bro, I'm astonished that this isn't mandatory. Folks who've looked Mother Nature in the angry eye tend to be a little more forgiving toward regular humans.

Sure, the solo sailing is awfully expensive, but if we pack 'em in ten or fifteen to the boat, we can probably make it cost-competitive with DCYS supervision, and probably with better results.

Posted by: Bob-S | June 12, 2010 5:05 PM

This family is lead by idiots

This girl is another irresponsible American teenager who feels entitled to anything she desires

I see this as a stunt for some reality show, getting into Harvard, or helping daddy's yacht business

Sick

And anyone who supports this idiotic family should move to Vassila, Alaaaaskaaaa

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | June 12, 2010 5:16 PM

My 16 year old wants to drive a motorcycle from Alaska to the tip of South America, by herself. She says it would be a great adventure. Do you think I should let her? Then what if my 14 year old wants to fly across America by himself, should I let him also? Let's face it, at 16 you are just a baby and 18 is the legal adult age. Even 18 is young, considering the maturity of people and that is why the minimum drinking age is 21. I wonder if this girls parents had some kind of commercial interest in this fiasco. Quite simply, they are guilty of borderline child neglect, at least, and it is only due to advanced GPS technology, and especially the kindness of our good friends, the Australians (several of whom risked their lives) and the French boat that picked her up. The girl is to be forgiven because she is only 16, her parents are idiots.

Posted by: magnifco1000 | June 12, 2010 5:24 PM

If you are rich like these people you can do whatever you want when you are 16.

Posted by: squier13 | June 12, 2010 5:29 PM

The parents and the sailor should pay for the rescue.

Posted by: firefly1231 | June 12, 2010 5:43 PM

No one of that age has the experience to cope with the myriad potential problems. Her failure demonstrates this.

Posted by: sage5 | June 12, 2010 6:00 PM

To the NON ADVENTURE type this is insane, but any and all safe measures were taken, Have driven stock car, pilot stunt planes, white water kayaking to name a few, And always care is FIRST, and you better believe this kid was well equiped.

would they let her drive and use a cell phone, or text? If these people are what i think they are. NO WAY THAT IS STUPID AND TO DANGEROUS, she could kill her self or worse yet, some one else.

Posted by: dv1236 | June 12, 2010 6:04 PM

Certain risks are unavoidable and hence acceptable, like kids driving, going out with friends, dates, etc. But, sailing by yourself at 16 around the world? Now, people say, "it's adventure, you only life once," etc., etc. I say, at 18, you can make that choice, and a parent cannot legally stop you. At least by then you can think out the consequences of your actions a little bit. More then at 16, for sure. That's why society has an age of majority, when you can legally sign contracts, or join the military. Or, as it should be, sail by yourself around the world. 16 is also too young to make decisions that could too easily result in your death. Especially, in this girls case, if she was doing this stunt to make dad happy and for his approval. Which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Posted by: magnifco1000 | June 12, 2010 6:20 PM

Life has been called a journey.
Most of us we follow the beaten path and stay to the middle of the road.
Some of us fall off the beaten path for lack of will to keep pace with the crowd.
And some break away strike out on virgin ground.
Those are the few.
They are known for thinking outside the box and doing what nobody dreamed possible.
Abby's parents did not whimsically choose to let Abby set sail in a capricious manner.
They understood the risk better than anyone, and they understood her limitations.
Give the family the respect they well deserve for Abby is the exception, not the rule.

Posted by: analystdot1 | June 12, 2010 6:34 PM

Would this question be asked if the search only found wreckage? She is lucky to be alive. My child can go express herself to her heart's delight when she moves out. Until then, the yacht remains tied up to its slip and Mount Everest will still be there.

Posted by: ArmyVet1 | June 12, 2010 6:43 PM

Since I could not afford such a journey, I'll never know. Yet years ago when the boys were 11, 12, 13 they hiked the Long Trail in Vt together, and it went well. I do not suppose that would get too much approval, and the eldest today would not allow his son to do so.

I do think the father has to shoulder all the expense of the rescue, whether or not he is billed. Don't necessarily think he has the character to do so. Do not hear him accepting responsibility!

Seems wrong for others to foot the bill which would cover a number of college tuitions for those unable to do so themselves.

Posted by: charlesalaska | June 12, 2010 7:11 PM

Everyone has an opinion, just as everyone also has something unmentionable.

Anyone should be allowed to sail around the world solo (1) for the adventure, (2) for any fame to be gained, or (3) to enter Guiness's Records which is a special kind of fame. And the sailor should be able to count on search and optimally rescue by any vessels in the area, but equating such risk-taking with teen driving, is surely a reach.

The Australian Coast Guard (or whatever name) is already paid for, but would the parents be ready to accept the bill for the search plane's extra fuel and maintenance? Apparently the search plane had to go quite far into the Indian Ocean to find the distressed boat. Basically the sailor and all her family seem to have been counting on free rescue (as a safety net) if this venture went awry.

And so for any other solo, would-be, circumnavigant sailor. If s/he completes the trip w/o mishap, fine. But paying the tab for any extra cost of successful rescue seems only fair.

Only some of us Americans seem to think it is written in the Heavens that if one knowingly gets her/himself in a tight spot, then rescue costing extra should be free.
As the West Side Story song promises ". . . everything's free in America"

Does that mean therefore free is how everything should be?

Posted by: fritzr1950max | June 12, 2010 9:00 PM

I cannot believe this is somehow controversial. As a society, our over protectiveness is a terrible detriment to the emotional and intellectual development of our kids.

This girl is a fantastic role model -- self reliant, determined, talented, and smart -- everything I want my boys to be on the eve of adulthood.

Posted by: tkoho | June 12, 2010 9:10 PM

ARMYVET - You & I are both lucky (whatever that means) to be alive. And your child is, in fact, free to go express herself to her heart's delight right this very second no matter what you think about it. If it really mattered to her, she could be on the train to a faraway circus or stowing away on some crazy person's boat.

It's your job to give her the tools to live a responsible life, and (if you're capable of doing so) to provide some examples of what such a life might look like. Forcing her to live the life that you foresee is beyond your power, no matter how skillfully you tie up the yacht or how masterfully you guard the passes to the mountain.

Posted by: Bob-S | June 12, 2010 9:46 PM

Having a teenager out of the house for most of a year would be a welcome change for most of us. My dad offered my brother and me a one-way ticket to anywhere we wanted to go, no questions asked.

Posted by: pike2 | June 12, 2010 10:16 PM

Please ask Mr. and Mrs. Sunderland what they are going to do when the Somalian pirates capture Abby and hold her for ransom. Thanks.

Posted by: sbh123 | June 12, 2010 10:21 PM

I agree with ArmyVet. We teach our kids and give them the tools to live. Let them live, accidents happen everyday to all of us. I hope my kids grow up as independent and determined as Abby.

The talk of jail for the parents, do you know how many parents don't provide food, clothing and school for kids. You want to through parents in jail who provided everything this child needed to live, grow up strong and determined and had the courage to say yes when she wanted to live her dream.

Posted by: Tracy_mitchell1 | June 12, 2010 10:24 PM

No, I would not let her sail alone. I think it is poor judgment but for a different reason. Sailing alone is not a good idea the same way that hiking in a remote place or climbing a treacherous mountain by yourself is foolhardy.

If you are out there, then you have no help should you need it. Of course, one can always point to the fact that she had a satellite phone though I'm hesitant to rely on technological devices in trying circumstances. What if it broke?

I've broken my leg while outdoors and fortunately, I was with my friend. Others saw me and got search and rescue to come and evacuate me. Fortunately, the search and rescue fee that is a part of my fishing license paid for it.

But even that skirts the real issue. Those who came and rescued me were also in danger. I don't ever want to put anyone in that position again even though I will always be grateful to them.

One can certainly argue that it's her life and she knowingly took the risk. Perhaps, but I would be apprehensive of anyone, at whatever age, taking that risk much less a minor. Ultimately, it's a question of judgment. It shouldn't be about ego.

Posted by: brwntrt | June 12, 2010 10:39 PM

World's Oldest Blind Man With Alzeimer's set to take on Challenge of The Seas.

Posted by: deeplyimbeddedaolcom | June 12, 2010 11:05 PM

For the person who wondered if the family had any financial motivations to all this:

Posted by: anotherthing | June 13, 2010 12:47 PM