Facebook, Twitter:Your favorite social networking site?

Facebook is expected to say this week that it has reached 500 million users, making it the biggest information network on the Internet in a meteoric rise that has connected the world into an online statehood of status updates, fan pages and picture exchanges. Read Cecilia Kang's full blog post.

By Jodi Westrick  |  July 19, 2010; 7:54 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should the government introduce tougher regulation of genetic testing? | Next: Would you share your immigration status for sake of passing a bill?

Comments

How can this poll be considered representative when it doesn't have a "None (waste of my time)" option?

Posted by: nadie1 | July 19, 2010 10:21 AM

I use LiveJournal. While I have a MS & FB account, and sometimes Tweet, I don't have the time to spend w/ the depth of FB & MS - I'd get even less done than I do now!

Posted by: VAharleygirl | July 19, 2010 10:30 AM

I agree with Nadie1: how can this poll have any meaning when there's no option for "None (waste of my time)" option. Is it so inconceivable that there are many of us out here who manage our social interactions just fine without a "social networking" site?

Posted by: Catch1 | July 19, 2010 10:50 AM

/b/

Posted by: Nymous | July 19, 2010 10:51 AM

I voted 'other' on the list. My favorite site is anywhere there is real, human contact -- a local pub, a friends home where others gather, church functions, etc. Personal contact is important and just doesn't exist over the Internet (even with cameras and microphones).

Posted by: jdrd58 | July 19, 2010 11:18 AM

Facebook
MySpace
Bebo
Friendster
hi5
Orkut
PerfSpot
Yahoo! 360
Zorpia
Netlog

Which of these makes a profit? I am highly suspicious of the Facebook craze. They provide the site, you key in all your personal data, and then what? How will they make money if click-throughs don't sell and all they have is all your personal data?

Posted by: blasmaic | July 19, 2010 11:28 AM

I find it down right hilarious that people complain about the goverment intruding on their privacy for the protection of the nation. But people will log into their facebook account and post for everyone to see everything about their private lives.

Do you know that people plan robberies based on what has been posted to facebook?
[quote]In Venezuela criminals use Facebook to research targets. Cops use it too — but not always for scrupulous purposes.[/quote]

Or better yet. Hackers are now using FaceBook for identity theft.
[quote]Hackers are now using Facebook for identity theft. A new flood of Facebook spam targets the hundreds of millions of facebook users around the globe, tricking them into downloading software that can collect sensitive data like bank passwords and other information.[/quote]

Telling ya, facebook is trouble. 500 million users hu? And all of them potential clients for your local/international scam artist. With all your information there, and ready for anyone to read. Do you realize how much you open yourself up to being robbed, scammed, possibly attacked? Post pictures for your friends? Now everyone in the world knows what you look like. Did you mention in any of your posts about an activity close to your house? Damn, they can now find out where you live? Picture of you in front of your house? Well damn, they now have it really narrowed down.

Seriously people. Want to stay in contact with your family and friends. Go back to email. I'll even post how you can encrypt it so nobody knows what your saying if you want. But don't use facebook. Your opening yourself into being hurt.

Posted by: LiberalBasher | July 20, 2010 3:33 AM

Why does WaPo assume that everyone belongs to one or more of these sites? I don't have an account on any of them, yet I am constantly barraged by links that require Facebook membership. I hate that almost all informational content on the Internet asks me to rate and it and share it with a friend!

Posted by: seismic-2 | July 20, 2010 9:24 AM

I spend no time on these pages at all. If I need to be part of a community, I go meet people in the flesh. The last thing I need to do is go find somebody online I haven't seen in 25 years and instantly catch up with them. There's just something psychologically messed up about that. And my experience over the years has shown me that spending lots of time online is depressing. It's not really any better than watching too much television.

Posted by: Candressuhmoose | July 20, 2010 10:23 AM

None of the above. I have no desire to put my personal information "out there." I want nothing to do with these havens for people who so desperately want "friends" with doubtful aims. Count me out. I have plenty of real friends.

Posted by: mtndance | July 20, 2010 10:32 AM

I'm with Nadie and Mtndance. None of the above. I have just the right level of personal exposure on the public Internet right now, and I don't care to put any more of my personal info out there. Considering this poll appears at the same time as an in-depth series (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/top-secret-america/articles/a-hidden-world-growing-beyond-control/) on government agencies with the power to intrude on the lives of everyday people for any reason, or no reason at all, I'd say those of us who choose none of these sites are on the right track.

Posted by: bucinka8 | July 20, 2010 10:40 AM

The poll is asking for a vote from those who use a networking site! If you don't use one, you are not a concern for this particular poll. Give it a break, be happy with how you live and let others do the same without berating them. One can have FB friends from near and far and "real" friends as some of you put it. Some folks are much more social than others and choose to enjoy this type of communication as well as "live and in person" contact. Some folks have made friends via FB outside of their home state or country and have met and they are totally happy. It's a great way to communicate with multiple friends with the same passions and interests too.

Posted by: shejoy | July 20, 2010 12:18 PM

Shejoy, you seem genuinely offended at the opinions of those of us who choose not to share personal information in this way. I hope you're not taking this too personally. I can't speak for the others, but when I say "I prefer not to do X," I am NOT implying that anyone else is stupid for doing X. In fact, as a committed libertarian, I think you have the right to do X, where X = anything that doesn't harm others or their property.

Again, can't speak for the others, I've found friendship and even love on the public Internet. No one is saying you shouldn't have the same opportunity. I was just saying that for myself, certain social networking sites are not automatically a given.

I have theories about why people are so quick to conclude that "I don't like it" automatically leads to "I want to prevent others from doing or having it." Those theories are outside the purview of this poll.

Posted by: bucinka8 | July 20, 2010 1:57 PM