Will you flush?

Thanks to a failing water main, Maryland residents who get their water from the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission are under restrictions to limit water use at least through the Tuesday, July 6. Officials have asked residents to limit flushing toilets and use of washing machines and dishwashers.

By Hal Straus  |  July 1, 2010; 7:20 PM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Is Tiger Woods divorce settlement paying too much for Elin's silence? | Next: Should boxing be outlawed?

Comments

Flushing less often is practically the only thing I can do to decrease my water usage. I already turn off the water in the shower when I'm soaping or shaving (I could be a little better about it but I'm already pretty good) and I also use a watersaving method when washing my dishes. I don't have a lawn to water or a pool to fill, and my car can wait to be washed until the main is fixed.

And yet not flushing seems a little extreme, given that I don't live alone. I'm left wondering what exactly WSSC expects me to do.

Posted by: csdiego | July 2, 2010 1:10 PM

If you poop, flush. But you can pee a few times before having to flush.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 2, 2010 3:39 PM

Additionally, put some displacement into your toilet tanks. A brick, a filled bottle, anything really will cause each flush to use less water.

Posted by: rpixley220 | July 2, 2010 5:06 PM

We have been focused on water conservation in our community for many years now and have conserved a considerable amount according to the quarterly reports each user receives from the water and sewer authority.

We were rewarded this year with an increase in the water rates because we were not using enough to generate the revenue they need to operate. I don't recall reading anywhere where they cut operating expenses or staff. If they have cut as much as they can to operate then tell us that.

We now flush, water our lawns, water our gardens and plants, and wash our cars.

The irony is that if we think of the tried and true ways to cut consumption whether it be water or oil for the sake of reducing dependency and the amount of usage, conservation is the only way. We can not create more water and we will not find more oil to replace that from the middle east.

So why penalize us for conserving?

Because supply and demand only works if the budget can be met.

Posted by: Johnpconrad1 | July 6, 2010 8:05 AM

"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down."

Posted by: elwoll | July 6, 2010 9:19 AM

Hygiene is the first requirement, not conservation. Its about time the government recognized that fact. Its time for them to step up to the plate and invest in additional water resources. Its there, we just need to make it available.
Conservation is like saving on purchases at the store: ephemeral

Posted by: bruce18 | July 6, 2010 9:47 AM