Would you share your immigration status for sake of passing a bill?

On a patch of asphalt outside the White House this week, Renata Teodoro, Maricela Aguilar and scores of other students are risking deportation simply by sharing their full names and immigration status with anyone who asks.

In an act of defiance unimaginable to many in their parents' generation, they are publicly declaring that they are in the United States illegally as a way to push for change that would help thousands of undocumented young people like them. And they are doing so in one of the most highly patrolled -- and politicized -- spots in the country. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  July 21, 2010; 8:56 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Facebook, Twitter:Your favorite social networking site? | Next: Who is the best lead actress action heroine?

Comments

"this is a non-scientific poll" - that is putting it lightly! This is a poll that is phrased in a very specific way to generate a headline later on that benefits illegal aliens. WaPo and the Chamber of Commerce in bed? who knew

Posted by: kendog100 | July 22, 2010 7:22 AM

This is bogus.

I do hope ICE is putting together the deportation papers for the brazen ILLEGAL ALIENS who mocked our laws by showing up.

I wonder how deeply in debt these ILLEGAL ALIENS are compared to our American sons and daughters who go on to higher education.

Disgusting.

Posted by: rcubedkc | July 22, 2010 8:32 AM

Stupid people get all wound up about this, and the fact is that these are people who do more to contribute to their communities than a whole lot of other people do.

The anti-immigration idiots can't seem to understand that immigration is not the problem they're thinking it is. The numbers & reality don't back up their hate and hyperbole one bit.

Frankly they're dumber than the people who've come here from someplace else, and thus far have demonstrated far poorer character as well.

Mostly they seem to be fascists, racists, and easily subverted into hatred & violence.

Posted by: Nymous | July 22, 2010 10:12 AM

-------You mean like the illegals the Post Metro section reports on this morning who are behind the robbery of SE Asians in NoVA? One's already been deported back to Peru. They "contributed" to the "community" alright.

-------The pro-illegal-alien idiots don't seem to realize that the two million illegal alien "children" the DREAM Act would benefit is NOT an insignificant number and that legalizing them would not only be unfair to citizen students and LEGAL immigrants, but would also lead to even more illegal immigration. THAT's reality.

----Illegal aleins are dumber than people who live here. They mess up their home countries, come here illegally, and figure they'll suck off us and convince us to give them legal status the better to do it. Sorry--we're NOT THAT DUMB. And if illegal aliens had "character" their own countries might actually be places they wanted to live in.

--------My, my, my. Name calling. The last refuge of those without a rational argument. Fact is, what is RACIST is to say that SOME people are above having to follow the law. That SOME people should in fact, BE REWARDED for breaking the law.

Posted by: Ali4 | July 22, 2010 10:54 AM

yeah, NYMOUS...because only facists, racists, and the easily subverted even *care* about honesty, fairness, and equality.

You'd *have* to be a horrible person to think that cheaters shouldn't win, liars shouldn't prosper, and honesty is always the best policy.

*Obviously* only violent 'haters', 'stupid people', and 'idiots' would think that having 12-20 million unknown, non-tax paying residents who don't share our language, our values, or our history could possibly be anything except a net positive for society and America. How could ANY decent person have an issue with that?!!

(/snark)

Posted by: WilyArmadilla | July 22, 2010 10:58 AM

as for the poll question, I answered 'no'.

Personally, I'd be far too ashamed of myself to go strutting around bragging about how good my family is at evading the law, eluding enforcement, and using resources that were intended for others...

I wouldn't be able to sneer and shout at the poor saps who were stupid enough to follow the law.

I wouldn't have the gall to shout down those who insist that I, and my family, don't DESERVE to keep everything we've managed to steal from America.

Nope. I just wouldn't have the insolence and effrontery to stand up and shamelessly demand for free what other people have had to work for.

Posted by: WilyArmadilla | July 22, 2010 11:18 AM

I'd like to know how many people posting comments on this issue is support of amnesty and pro-illegal aliens are, in fact, illegals themselves in the first place.

How's this? I'm a legal citizen, my parents were legal citizens, my grandparents were legal citizens, my great grandparents came into this country legally in the late 1800s and obtained their citizenship through the legal means at that time.

The Act of March 26, 1790 provided a mechanism for individuals to apply for citizenship if they had resided in the United States for 2 years, and in one of the States for at least 1 year, and provided proof that they were persons of “good character.” Point is, coming into this country illegally automatically means that you are not of good character; you're a liar, a cheat, and a theif.

According to http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/Citizenship_2004.pdf, "The Naturalization Act of 1906 established procedural safeguards for the naturalization process, including fixed fees and uniform naturalization rules. This law also made knowledge of the English language a requirement for naturalization." Frankly, I have to whole-heartedly agree with the English requirement.

How many of those illegal alien students are receiving scholarships? Scholarships denied to my sons who ARE legal residents and just as qualified for those schools and programs.

Am I and idiot or stupid? Gee, I hold several degrees, and I'd qualify for Mensa if I wanted to send my SATs to them.

Are illegals contributing more to our communities than I do? Only if they served in the military honorably for more than 2 decades and work in a hospital.

Am I a fascist? Hell no, I'm a government minimalist, quasi-Libertarian/Independent.

Am I a racist? Not with the amount of soul-searching I've done on my relationships with others.

Am I easily subverted into hatred & violence? While I admit to having a severe dislike for some folks, and an inability to forget their transgressions against me; I haven't ever killed anyone or started a fight.

I think I pass the "test" for being able to have an informed opinion on this matter.

So yeah, round your theiving illegal butts up and ship you back to where you came from. You haven't EARNED the right to be here.

Posted by: mhoust | July 22, 2010 12:00 PM

The cost of illegal aliens is costing the states and the federal government $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$ billions of dollars. This is more about new voters and the next election. Someone wrote on a blog that Mexico, on their southern border kill illegals. First, offenders not shot go to prison for two years. Second time offenders get ten years. You can't just drive from Texas into Mexico, or so I am told by my Mexican friends. I've never been there. Why should I, when I live in Texas, formerly from the Pacific Northwest?

First, I don't want them living here illegally. Second, I am 100% against amnesty. I've met many who came in under the first wave of amnesty. Was that Reagan? That was totally wrong, and it is the reason for this invasion flooding our country of illegals. I can't go anywhere any more without being engulfed in Mexicans, including my front yard! It's becoming frightening.

The debt factor of our enfrastructure --police, sheriff, military, schools, hospitals, etc. is creating this debt that LEGAL AMERICANS cannot pick up the tab for anymore. They've taken our jobs, our homes, our parks, our safety and security, our peace of mind. So many, many babies. So many pregnant teenage girls. Texas has always been 49th in teenage pregnancies.

Drugs. Dropouts. You have no idea. Unlicensed drivers, who have never studied our driving laws. Truck drivers, who cannot read or speak English, continually driving too many hours, causing accidents.

NAFTA is a disaster. So many 18 wheelers come through Texas that Texas does not even try to inspect them. Some carry illegals. Many are uninsured and inadequately maintained.

I am not uninformed. I am an observer, who goes about his daily life, having the cause and effect of illegality thrown in my face. If you don't live here, you have no idea.

I will say that my neighbors are treating me better. They now wave. It took them ten years to wave back to me. It bothers me that my next-door neighbor's son started driving at 15 and dropped out of school secretly. I soon discovered that, although they own their home, they are here illegally. Five drivers, no insurance, no driver's license, no training. Who cares? Me.

Why do I have to obey the laws, and illegal aliens do not. They don't have to pay insurance or taxes. I wish I could. It would save me money. I look around didn't have to, especially the uninsured motorist (33%) and see my neighbors differently--the legals and the illegals. Go figure. They're not getting amnesty.

Posted by: Jo5311 | July 22, 2010 3:25 PM

These young people are brazen and rude. Several of these illegal immigrant demonstrators come from California, a state that has been extremely generous to illegal immigrants. However,just like these students, many illegal immigrants in California are just leeches, who show no gratitude or loyalty to the United States. Instead, they feel they have an entitlement to shout and make demands, without any consideration to the fact that they don't deserve any kind of consideration, because they or their parents broke the law.

Personally, I would like to see these students turned over to the immigration department, and be deported.

Posted by: fridaolay | July 22, 2010 4:06 PM

I said no, but I wish I had the guts to do what they did.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | July 22, 2010 4:20 PM

I don't care if they're willing to come forward or not. Arrest and deport them all. Look at the American families living in homeless shelters and out on the street. What about them?! They can't get jobs because illegal aliens have them. American employers knowingly hire them and landlords knowingly rent to them. That's why these illegals look at us with bratty grins on their faces, knowing they won't be deported.

What has this country become?! Are the borders between Canada, the US and Mexico about to be erased or something?

Posted by: dudefromthebronx | July 22, 2010 6:02 PM

who said that Americans support ilegal aliens? Every time I talk with Americans,read blogs and the comments on newspapers,they are OPPOSED to illegal aliens.

Posted by: julcubdish | July 22, 2010 6:07 PM

Of course, they know the federal government will not do anything to round them up and deport them. If any other authority would attempt to do so the feds would sue. So much for the federal government which has sworn to uphold the laws of this country.

Posted by: observer31 | July 22, 2010 6:54 PM

If 12 million illegal aliens are legalized, then they are eligible under current law to bring in their immediate families without falling into a quota. Thus if half the illegals have families, say in Mexico, and the family consists of a wife and three children (not an outlandish number), we are looking at immediate inflow of 6 times 4 = 24 million new immigrants from Mexico alone, outside the normal quota.

Posted by: Observer20 | July 22, 2010 10:25 PM

They think that by comming out into the open they can force Americans to accept them. This is a misconceived idea since it will have just the opposit effect. I would have had ICE there in full gear to round up and deport the criminals. They are stealing from American citizens and not contributing anything except the same meantal proces that has caused Mexico to be a disaster waiting to fall upon its criminal face. Pick them up and send them home immidately. Kick them if they are Illigal Aliens and knowlingly apply for benefits they are stealing from Americans. NO REWARDS FOR CRIMINALS AND THIEVES.

Posted by: jmsmaxwell | July 30, 2010 3:14 PM