Do you love or hate Restaurant Week?

D.C.'s Restaurant Week starts this week. While many love the accessibility to restaurants they may not have been able to try regularly, others complain that the quality is not as good. What's your take? Love it or hate it?

By Jodi Westrick  |  August 16, 2010; 8:28 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Who do you want to see as Redskins' quarterback? | Next: Would you eat seafood from the Gulf of Mexico?

Comments

For sake of argument, put me in the "hate it" category (really I'm in the don't care.) There was an original idea to get people going to restaurants again (this was before, or maybe the runup to the financial crises) but now it seems to have devolved to just another gimmick akin to early bird specials etc. that is, it's nothing special- It's not bad, just not out of the ordinary - of restaurant marketing. So the bottom line is that I'm not going to rush out and do anything. Oh yeah, more than a few times I've had a hard time reserving a time slot, only to show up later to a place that was near empty. This mean you Oceanaire.

Posted by: jhtlag1 | August 16, 2010 12:28 PM

Agree with JHTLAG1. I'm more in the Don't Care category, but since I tend to avoid RW, I voted Hate it. First, I don't eat dessert, so the three courses offered aren't usually appealing, except at some small plates places like Oyamel that let you choose from different categories. Plus the crowds are often too big and places too loud. I get that it can be a good way to get NEW customers to a restaurant, but it's not worth it to me.

Posted by: cookgirl1 | August 16, 2010 12:49 PM

I generally like Resturant week. But, since its inception the prices has gone up to the point that, after you include beverages, it not really that much of a deal.

I would also do resturant in DC and Baltimore because they were on successive weekends. Now they run concurrently.

Posted by: PracticalIndependent | August 16, 2010 1:50 PM

No real deal and I feel like the restaurants would just as soon you not come...sort of like Mothers or Valentines day. Service is sorta like they're doing you a favor.

Posted by: snowbucks | August 16, 2010 2:11 PM

I hate restaurant week for several reasons:

1. The food is a mediocre representation of what these restaurants typically serve.

2. The wait staff is always grumpy during RW and give bad service because they are annoyed about the small bills and atypical clientele (more on that in #3)

3. The clientele - Usually these nice restaurants have respectable clientele. When they drop the prices to rock-bottom, you get all kinds of college kids, unpaid interns on the Hill, etc. who ruin the restaurant atmosphere and incite #2 (above).

Overall, RW is a bust in my opinion. Instead of jumping all over town to try out restaurants on the cheap - save your money and go to ONE restaurant at full price when it isn't RW. You will enjoy it much more!

Posted by: GUsoph1983 | August 16, 2010 2:23 PM

DONT CARE.

Seriously, with many more affordable and good doning options in DC and the surrounding aream why would I limit myself to paying, 20 and 25 buxx for a lunch and dinner respectively when I cen get better food year round at other places in the DC area.

Just out of curiosity, following up on GUsoph1983, comment above, on average, do restaurants that participate in RW make more $$$ during the week compared to a normal week of service? Maybe teh wait staff is annoyed, but I'm just wondering if they are more annoyed at serving a table with 4 interns at $35 (+drinks) a pop than having that table empty the following week resulting in 0.00 tip?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | August 16, 2010 3:44 PM

It's a mistake to apply logic to something as complicated as Restaurant Week. Restaurants are a gamble. Restaurants during restaurant week are a bigger gamble (with lessor stakes (steaks)).

Posted by: davemarks | August 16, 2010 8:26 PM