Have you paid for an internship?

Each year, thousands of college students descend on Washington for unpaid internships. It can be a nerve-racking process: sending out résumés, trying to make contacts, interviewing again and again.

Increasingly, many of them are finding an alternative: paying thousands of dollars to a placement company for a guaranteed spot. Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  August 30, 2010; 11:04 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Emmy Awards: Who were the best and worst dressed stars? | Next: Does Pres. Obama deserve the 'anti-business' label he's been saddled with?

Comments

It would make sense if the intership could guarantee a well-paying job upon graduation but it doesn't. Hopefully this will not be a wide-spread practice. If so, it will limit these opportunities to those who come from wealthy families.

Posted by: GenXer1 | August 30, 2010 2:33 PM

If paying for an internship was worth the price, people wouldn't take your money in exchange for one. Like any other form of borrowing, you never get your money's worth out of it. The idea is that you get *some* money out of it in the long run, more than you would if you didn't borrow.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | August 30, 2010 3:48 PM

This is what amounts to summer camp for young adults.

Posted by: somuch4reason | August 30, 2010 3:49 PM

...it's no different than paying for a college degree, really, but at some point you have to stop borrowing and start to make a profit. The question will always be what if you hadn't spent that money on a degree and then an internship, and had just gone into business on your own. If you spend $50k on a degree and then $10k on an internship, then you're $60k in the hole before you even begin to make money.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | August 30, 2010 3:51 PM

This is not good especially for low to middle low income families. Their children that are in college (if they make it this far after over coming many obsticles) will be left out and get no experience only beacause they can't afford to pay. I fear for the future.

Posted by: RPCVforDCU | August 30, 2010 4:04 PM

I already think "internships" (unpaid) are such an abuse of our labor laws, the idea of actually paying someone to work for them is outrageous to me. Normally, hiring someone and telling them they aren't going to be paid for their work would break all sorts of labor laws, but call it an "internship" and voila, instant slave labor.

I worked my way through college in order to make sure I was debt free when I graduated. I guess I was one of the lucky ones that found a paid summer internship (paid at the same rate as the full time employees who were doing the exact same job). If all students demanded paid internships, the idea of unpaid labor as being OK would eventually fade away. Unfortunately, unpaid internships are considered so acceptable.

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | August 30, 2010 4:14 PM

To get my teaching certification, I had to pay for a 12 credit college semester and teach full time for a half school year without any pay. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I do love teaching though.

Posted by: tazmodious | August 30, 2010 7:53 PM