What is your favorite political movie?

Vote for your favorite below, and add other top-picks in the comments field.

By Abha Bhattarai  |  August 20, 2010; 6:58 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Is boycotting Arizona Diamondbacks games an effective way to protest? | Next: Who should take care of Arlington National Cemetery?

Comments

State of Play over Primary Colors or True Colors?

Posted by: rachi8 | August 21, 2010 2:14 PM

Good Night & Good Luck would be on my list. Another great political movie is Election (Even though it is about high school politics...it is so much more)
www.ilovegenerationx.com

Posted by: AlexReagan | August 21, 2010 2:54 PM

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was until I grew up and realized what a farce Congress is. Members of Congress are incapable of shame. Claude Raines would NEVER have blown his brains out. He would have become a successful lobbyist.

Posted by: m_richert | August 22, 2010 12:44 AM

Charlie Wilson's War and The Contender are my two favorite political films followed by Wag the Dog....

Great poll

Posted by: rfrexr | August 22, 2010 4:03 AM

The American President. Andrew Shepherd's speech in the White House press room is outstanding on more levels than I can count. "America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the 'land of the free.'"

Posted by: amstphd | August 22, 2010 7:26 PM

It doesnt get any more "inside" than the brilliant 1998 satire "Pentagon Wars" with Kelsey Grammer. That's quintessential Washington at its best. As the tens of billions of dollars looted and missing from a) Iraq Reconstruction, b) TARP Bailouts, and c) the Stimulus Act so recently testify, nothing has changed during the intervening dozen years. Corruption still reigns supreme in this town, no matter which party is in power. They take the Cash and we're left with the "Change".

Posted by: PresstoDigitate | August 23, 2010 5:06 AM

Always the Pollyanna....My favorite presidential movie is DAVE. Kevin Kline is always fabulous, but the idea that the budget could be cut so simply and properly is SOOO to be wished for! Yes, preposterous premise, but if only.....

Posted by: peg96 | August 23, 2010 8:22 AM

My favorites are Bob Roberts with Tim Robbins and The Contender with Joan Allen.

Posted by: kathyt2 | August 23, 2010 9:44 AM

Of this list, probably The American President, followed by Wag the Dog. But why is Dick not on here? That was my actual favorite.

Posted by: dkp01 | August 23, 2010 11:28 AM

A bit dated, but "Advise & Consent".

Posted by: BEEPEE | August 23, 2010 11:48 AM

One of my favorites is "Thank You for Smoking." Like other posters, I also like "The Contender."

Posted by: pepperjade | August 23, 2010 1:20 PM

I also really like Dave, a true feel-good movie. Kevin Kline rocks!

Posted by: imzadi | August 23, 2010 3:13 PM

Seven Days in May

Posted by: Lamentations | August 23, 2010 5:48 PM

"Advise and Consent" is an interesting period piece, fun to watch. "All the King's Men" with Broderick Crawford: again, not a great movie, but worth watching. "Dave" is fun; "Dick" is such a fun, silly movie. But I have to say I don't like most of the movies you at the Post nominated as the best.

Posted by: sistererasma | August 23, 2010 6:24 PM

Bullworth!

Posted by: hlabadie | August 23, 2010 6:40 PM

"State of the Union" is great with Tracy and Hepburn and I can't leave out "Dave". Both are about good men that have a great woman behind them.

Posted by: katepage57 | August 23, 2010 10:47 PM

Everything is true!
Go in look look: http://www.bizboysell.com
Believe that you may need.

Posted by: itkonlyyou248 | August 23, 2010 11:59 PM