Would you eat seafood from the Gulf of Mexico?

Following the oil spill crisis, seafood from the Gulf of Mexico is being thoroughly tested - and not just through sniff tests - in an effort to find minute traces of oil. Does this attention reassure you? Read the full article.

By Jodi Westrick  |  August 16, 2010; 10:20 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Do you love or hate Restaurant Week? | Next: Do you approve of the construction of a
mosque near Ground Zero?

Comments

If you like diarrhea, go for that oily food!

Posted by: johng1 | August 16, 2010 11:07 AM

They told us the air at Ground Zero was safe to breathe, too. Look how that turned out!

Posted by: northgs | August 16, 2010 11:36 AM

If you want to try 2-Butoxyethanol and petroleum distillate, which are used to make the dispersant, give the Gulf seafood a try. You may get lucky and hit the motherlode!

Posted by: johng1 | August 16, 2010 11:43 AM

No way in hell would I eat any seafood from the gulf. And do I trust the US government if they say it's okay...Again, HELL NO! Heck, I have concerns about the food USDA approves anyway! I try to go organic when at all possible. I feel sorry for LA, but I won't eat their seafood!!!!

Posted by: noneckmd | August 16, 2010 1:02 PM

There is a bigger issue to be considered and that is the degree of by kill involved in eating of shrimp. Of all the seafoods it is positively the worst in terms of other sea life that is killed and thrown back into the ocean. Tuna is also high on the list- the ancilliary fish killed to make the sushi would fill a 5ft table.

Posted by: rds7481 | August 16, 2010 1:08 PM

I live on the Gulf Coast and I don't think I would eat it right now. Maybe I'd have felt better about it if I saw Obama eating fresh seafood from the Gulf.. but since they didn't show him eating it it can't be safe.

Posted by: tbastian | August 16, 2010 5:45 PM

Jodi,
You asked the wrong question.
Here in Texas, we quiz our seafood companies about where they get their shrimp.
Shrimp, crabs, fish and oysters taken from the WESTERN Gulf of Mexico, west of the Louisiana state border on the Coast are just fine.
The question should be was the seafood -- (crabs and oysters are bottom feeders in the marshes) including shrimp taken East of the Louisiana border considered reliable?
The Gulf has a circulation that curls around the Eastern Gulf, from about Vermillion Bay east and which kept all that mess in that area.
Maps on the New York Times website illustrate what I'm talking about.
We Texans don't eat any seafood not taken in our waters.
Further, the company that makes the dispersant Corexit claims the list of ingredients is proprietary information and will not reveal what they are.
I think they should be presented with court orders to disclose this information for the sake of the public interest.
Then the FDA could test for both.
The idea that they would fail to disclose this information when they were asked to do so by the Coast Guard is, in my opinion, criminal.
The company ought to be drummed out of business.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | August 17, 2010 7:23 AM

No, but not because of possible contamination (well, that too).

It's because I'm sick of people. In that Bible belt Deep South region, they vote the religious right, racist agenda in election after election. I've heard so many of the people complaining about the government not doing enough for them today, are the same ones who spent months and years proclaiming that abortion and getting rid of federal government so they can be free to enjoy their local right wing, closed society according to their own rules, are the only issues to vote for.

The same people who voted for Bush twice, are trying to blame Obama for the regulatory failures of their airhead religious right president. The Obama Administration has gotten extremely generous provisions to help the Gulf Coast people, from the $20B restitution fund to the temporary jobs and aid during the oil spill. Yet all we hear are complaints about how mismanaged the Vessels of Opportunity program was. Was anyone under the mistaken impression that this program was not mostly charity for out of work fishermen?

I think the Gulf Coast people are ignorant, abortion-religion voters who hate government except when they want something. They have been treated exceptionally well during this crisis that they allowed to happen with their anti-environmentalist agenda. I think they all should just shut up and get no aid or sympathy.

Posted by: AsperGirl | August 17, 2010 8:41 AM

i live in hot springs arkansas. Yesterday, i tried to buy gulf coast shrimp at the local kroger and they had none. the shrimp that i bouhgt was from thailand.

Posted by: m1kem1lls | August 17, 2010 8:55 AM

I'd rather drink Hemlock than eat Seafood from the U.S. Gulf Coast. YOU BET THE SECRET SERVICE ROLLED TONS OF SANDWICHES FROM D.C. FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA & HIS FAMILY while they were vacationing in the Coast. As Hannibal Lecter would say, "I don't know who is the greater fool." Between BP's perpetual stream of lies and comedic impotence of U.S. Federal officials and the tragic cynical opportunism of Gulf Coast Republicans who see BP as the real victim (to be defended)....NO, I won't trust BP with my enemy's life, never mind my own life.

Americans ain't that stupid. They know BP is full of it and we ain't coming back to the Gulf Coast anytime soooooooooooon!

Posted by: Whispers | August 17, 2010 9:59 AM

Well, lately I've been becoming kind of a vegetarian. Not because of the news, mind you!

Posted by: RealTexan1 | August 17, 2010 10:46 AM

Won't eat it for so many reasons. We all need to get serious about issues of sustainability, collateral species damage of commercial fishing, and long-term environmental impacts of feeding ourselves with fish, fowl, cattle, and yes, even plants. Sure we've gotta eat, but we need to re-learn how to feed the world without destroying it.

Posted by: conchfc | August 17, 2010 11:39 AM

Not if you tell me that it's from the Gulf.

Posted by: forgetthis | August 17, 2010 12:31 PM

I plan to wait and see whether any problems turn up before I commit to eating Gulf seafood, because I don't trust our government (no matter whose Administration) to tell me the truth about things like this any more.

Posted by: Itzajob | August 17, 2010 2:21 PM