'Boardwalk Empire': Will you watch?

Executive producer/director Martin Scorcese and producer-writer Terence Winter (of "The Sopranos") have given HBO viewers a lavish journey to the Atlantic City of 1920 in "Boardwalk Empire" -- all expenses handsomely, even extravagantly paid, minus your premium cable bill. They have, as literally as possible, relocated a group of actors and sets into the past, down to every last, gauzy, color-rich detail, even down to the fascinating close-ups of the pages of a pristine copy of Vogue that a main character flips through while she waits in a lobby. Read the full story.

By Abha Bhattarai  |  September 16, 2010; 6:15 PM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Would you pay to travel to space? | Next: Who's your pick for the 2012 presidential election?

Comments

It looks great, but if I'm going to shell out an extra couple of hundred bucks a year for premium channels, I'd rather pay to watch every Major League baseball game instead. Anyway, you can get all the commercial-free gangster movies you want on TCM, which doesn't cost you anything extra.

Posted by: andym108 | September 17, 2010 11:52 AM

I don't watch enough TV to pay for premium channels, so will not watch it. Like Andy said, it does look great and I probably would otherwise.

Posted by: carterpt82 | September 19, 2010 8:25 AM

The wording of these questions is really lousy. In order to be cute and clever, you make it hard to pick an answer that really matches what you think. I've noticed this with many of these "polls" here.

The first choice should just be Yes, or Yes, definitely, or Yes I'm very interested in this show. Not (basically) 'Yes, I Mindlessly Watch Everything that HBO airs'.

And "Maybe but I'm not sure yet"? No surprise that hardly anybody chose this non-answer.

Posted by: bowmanrand1 | September 19, 2010 9:53 AM

You left out the option that I and many others would choose. I don't mindlessly "watch tv" at all, but I do want to watch the very few shows that are worth my time. Yes, I do want to try Boardwalk Empire, but I'll wait until the first season comes out on DVD, rent it from my local video store for $3 per disc, and keep watching it as long as it holds my interest.

Posted by: jonthom | September 19, 2010 11:43 AM

No, I do not have cable. I found out that I could live just fine without it.

Also, I found out that I could live just fine without a cell phone.

Saves me lots of money.

Posted by: jdbassjr1 | September 19, 2010 2:20 PM

I cancelled HBO the night True Blood ended. I might try it in a few months, and then catch On Demand, save $50.00 or more...

Posted by: kbtoledo | September 19, 2010 9:10 PM