The Kennedy Center Honorees: Did they deserve it?

The Kennedy Center announced Tuesday the winners of this year's Kennedy Center Honors: TV host Oprah Winfrey, musician-songwriters Sir Paul McCartney and Merle Haggard, dancer-choreographer Bill T. Jones and composer-lyricist Jerry Herman. Do you agree with the picks? Vote 'yes' or 'no' on each of the honorees and explain your reasoning in the comments section.

By Jodi Westrick  |  September 7, 2010; 11:58 AM ET  | Category:  Local , National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: D.C. schools: Better or worse without Michelle Rhee? | Next: Can a new tax credit help the economy in the short term?

Comments

WaPo your poll results are screwed up.

Oprah's Yes pink and No blue but the exact opposite for everyone else.

Posted by: rlj611 | September 7, 2010 3:40 PM

cibFor 25 years, we have been writing to request the selection of Johnny Mathis to
receive a Kennedy Center Award. We were so hopeful this award would be his 75th birthday present (Sept.30, 2010). There is no voice past or present that comes near the quality and excellence in romantic ballads as performed for 54 years by Mr. Mathis. Mr. Mathis, an AMERICAN SINGER, has earned this award and continues to mesmerize his SOLD OUT
audiences. Congratulations to all of the awardees for this year; we continue our efforts for 2012 honors.

Posted by: eviebee3320hotmailcom | September 7, 2010 4:44 PM

Oprah Winfrey? Oprah Winfrey????

Posted by: capsfan77 | September 7, 2010 5:36 PM

Hey rlj611. Duh. Read for the higher percentage, blue for less. The self-serving, egotistical Oprah is the only one more people said "NO" to.

Posted by: pjohn2 | September 7, 2010 6:01 PM

I thought this award was for artists who advanced the performing arts in America. As wonderful a TV personality as she may be, I fail to see how Oprah qualifies. She acted in a movie once. Otherwise, she hasn't been a performing artist since church choir.

Posted by: loudlong | September 7, 2010 7:19 PM

What are the qualifications supposed to be for the Kennedy Center Honors?

Posted by: observator1000 | September 7, 2010 9:03 PM

Okay, WHY is Paul McCartney on this list? Same for Sean Connery in the past. They aren't from the US and they've been knighted. [ironic considering his support for the SNP]

United Statesians aren't honored by Liz Windsor, and that's okay, but we should honor our own.

Posted by: malcomj | September 7, 2010 10:45 PM

I must admit I was just as shocked this year as last when seeing some of the names of the honorees...Last year I thought Bruce Springsteen was honored too early, there's a few others who've had careers going on 50 yrs, such as Burt Bacharach, who is yet to be honored, but I do understand they have to meet certain raitings when the show broadcasts...this year, I must say I was really surprised Oprah would make the list as her show is a talk show (and as such, shouldn't Phil Donahue be honored? After all his show ran for the better part of 15 to 20 years!) plus she is a some times actress, but overall is a talk show host with a media empire, and there is also Barbara Walters, who certainly was the first female journalist to play in the big leagues, therefore paving the way for future generations of female journalists...I believe the other honorees are well deserving, but it would have been great to see Ringo Starr honored as he was an integral part of a little band called The Beatles, along with Paul McCartney, and certainly Merle Haggard is worthy of the accolade as he is one of the true legends of country music...Carol Channing, Sid Caesar and Carl Reiner deserve this as well, as they are also true originals...Vikki Carr and Liza Minelli should be honored as well as they both have incredible careers to their credit, and both having been pioneers in their fields...Gene Hackman, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight also should be honored, as they've had an incalculable impact on the arts...--and let's not forget Mr. Warmth, Don Rickles...hopefully the Center reads these posts and wakes up to go back to what they did during the first 12 yrs or so of the awards, honor where honor is due, and not repeat past mistakes, such as the one made in 1986 when Desi Arnaz was not honored, it would have been the perfect swan song for him as Lucy was honored, and so rightfully so....

Posted by: ealr28 | September 8, 2010 12:34 AM

I was hoping that Betty White would have been among the honorees. There are so many other possible honorees out there like Norman Lear and Agnes Nixon. Years ago, I sent a letter recommending the late William J. Bell and Helen Wagner to be among their consideration. Unfortunately, both of them died but left an incredible imprint on daytime television. Bell wrote 15,000 scripts and Helen played Nancy Hughes for 54 years on As the World Turns. It's too late now that they are both gone. But if they were British, they would have at least been recognized with an honor of some kind.
We still have Agnes Nixon who is already a TV Hall of Fame herself. She would make an excellent honoree in the future. I still think Betty White has a chance maybe next year.
Still the Kennedy Center Honors have made this year's selection but I'm not going to watch. I expected Winfrey, McCartney, but I wasn't surprised by Merle Haggard and Jerry Herman. Still Bill T. Jones surprised me because i don't know of his work but I can predict that Renee Fleming will be inducted in the future but I would love to see Doris Day come and accept the honor because she deserves to be up there with everybody else.

Posted by: Sylviastel | September 8, 2010 7:57 AM

I also agree that Johnny Mathis, Berry Gordy, Carl Reiner, Sid Caesar, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, should be considered for next year. What about the great Tony Martin who is 98 years old and has 4 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He should have been inducted as well but we're free to disagree. I don't recall Lawrence Welk as a past inductee. I will say Jay Leno should be considered as well in the future but there are so many possible candidates that they're all difficult to just pick 5. The Kennedy Center Honors is truly the highest honor that a performance artist can receive in our country but sometimes I feel that television performers aren't treated with the same proper recognition as film stars. Oh yes, Meryl Streep and Glenn Close should be honored as well. Francis Ford Coppola is also on my list. Barbara Cook would also be a great recipient. I'm not that familiar with opera, ballet, or the orchestra world but I'm familiar with country music. I'm glad to see Merle Haggard get his due but what about Kenny Rogers too or Reba McEntire (a little young but expect her name in the future). What about the great Chicago performer, Alene Robertson who has 10 Jefferson Awards or Barbara Gaines who is the artistic director of the Chicago Shakespeare Theater for many years. Bob Barker should also be considered for the honor as well. Still there are just so many people to consider for only 5 inductions per year and that it must be harder for them to decide. Still I hope they are reading these comments and get them thinking about next year's list.

Posted by: Sylviastel | September 8, 2010 8:12 AM

In Britain, the Queen has given honorary knighthoods to past recipients like Steven Spielberg among others. Unlike the British honours system, the Kennedy Center Honors reflects those who have contributed to the arts in the United States regardless of their actual citizenship or residency request.

Posted by: Sylviastel | September 8, 2010 8:15 AM

I was pleased to see The Post give pride of place to the story in the Style section this morning. Last year the announcement of the nominees' names was exiled deep within that section, with no reference whatever to it on page 1. Thanks for the improved coverage.

Posted by: AnotherHagman | September 8, 2010 10:01 AM