What's your biggest worry on the road?

Deaths on America's highways have plunged to their lowest level in 60 years, as smarter designs make streets and vehicles safer and aggressive campaigns are waged against drunk and distracted drivers. While America's roads are safer statistically, driving still carries risk. What's your biggest worry when you're out on the road? Rank the options below.

By Andrea Caumont  |  September 9, 2010; 11:23 AM ET  | Category:  National Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Should Michael Steele run again? | Next: Overcoverage of the Koran burning?

Comments

Biggest worry on the road? That's easy, but not on the list from which to choose. It is the police, together with photo enforcement. Traffic enforcement has become too aggressive in this country.

Posted by: sage5 | September 9, 2010 2:13 PM

Well, Sage5, if you obeyed the traffic laws, then you wouldn't have anything to worry about. Duh.

Posted by: 7900rmc | September 9, 2010 6:02 PM

None of the above.

There are far too many "Private" truckers, driving poorly maintained vehicles loaded or overloaded with tons of something, trying to drive non stop for days on end, and becoming a disaster waiting to happen.

My definition of a terrorist is some guy with a semi full of watermelons from South Florida, heading for Traverse City Michigan non stop except for fuel and restroom breaks. About the time he passes Florence, Y'All, and starts down the hill for the Ohio River, he is dangerous enough to put fear of God in anybody, and he and his equals drive that sort of route all over the country. Since they are self employed, nobody checks on them until way too late.

Posted by: ceflynline | September 9, 2010 8:12 PM

I agree with "None of the Above". Some Peon driving an 18-Wheeler loaded with illegal aliens going cross-country without a single apprehension by any law "enforcement" officer convinces me Obama's orders are being carried out, and THAT is what scares every American citizen.

Posted by: tucanofulano | September 9, 2010 8:26 PM

Cell phone usage is way out of control. Many municipalities have laws against talking on the phone while driving, but few if any enforce those laws. The next most dangerous act on the road is passive-aggressive, people actively trying to block and impede the flow of traffic.

Posted by: tkoho | September 10, 2010 6:37 AM

Biggest worry on the road, no question, are distracted drivers. All electronic devices -- cell phones, texting, laptops, GPSes, iPads, iPods, DVD players, you name it -- eating, putting on makeup, READING (!!!), kids in the back, etc. etc. etc. People don't just DRIVE, they want to do everything else in the car too. Multiple times per day, I see drivers doing utterly stupid and dangerous things SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION. Pulling out into traffic without looking; lane changes without looking; drifting into other lanes; backing up without looking; making turns without looking; last-minute panic moves that endanger everyone else, simply because they weren't paying attention.

Not sure what the antidote to this is, what it takes to get people to wake up and pay attention to the lethal weapon they are controlling.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 10, 2010 11:56 AM

If your worry is about the police and traffic cameras just wait until your car automatically reports it's speed violations to the nearest data collection point.

Posted by: HillmanDC | September 20, 2010 11:39 PM

POSTED BY: SAGE5 | SEPTEMBER 9, 2010 2:13 PM
---------------
You ever think(I know that is asking alot) that the police presence, and the enforcement is another reason there are less deaths.

Oh, I'm sorry. That would infringe on you. Better someone dies than you be prosecuted for your illegal behavior.

Posted by: LiberalBasher | September 21, 2010 2:10 AM

In the DC Metro area? Road rage is my greatest concern. It's a bigger problem than drunk driving, or any other problem, by far.

You folks have all grown too used to it, and too tolerant of it. Live someplace where people do not act so stupidly and badly on the roads, come back to the area, and you too will be able to see this.

When you are in your car alone, the only person responsible for your anger is yourself.

Posted by: Nymous | September 21, 2010 6:54 AM

tucanofulano, you're an idiot. I think people like you are generally too stupid to be trusted with a license to drive, much less a right to vote.

Posted by: Nymous | September 21, 2010 6:56 AM

Pretty sad that Nymous can't make a point without resorting to name calling.

Posted by: n0n1m0us3 | September 21, 2010 9:52 AM

They left off the biggest one of all:

IDIOT DRIVERS

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | September 21, 2010 11:40 AM

I realize this is an non-scientific poll, but it would still be nice if WaPo showed some knowledge of statistics and effective graphing. Here's what I mean:

The poll gave readers an opportunity to rank the five choices from most worrisome to least worrisome. However, the graph simply shows five bars, each with a number in the bar and another number in the axis label.

There's simply no way to interpret the bars. Does the number in the bar represent the number of respondents who put that particular item in the "most worrisome" category? If so, what is the number in parenthesis in the axis label?

How does the graph account for the ranking of the choices? What if there was no clear number one worry, but, but almost everyone chose the same second choice? Are the responses weighted in any way to account for this?

Until these and other questions are cleared up, we can draw NO conclusions from the graph. And if WaPo can't answer (or doesn't understand) these questions, they should get out of the infographic business.

Posted by: dgloo | September 21, 2010 12:13 PM

Ok I know I've nailed it when someone gets so twitchy they make an account to hate with. Good luck with that, I'm not exactly easily intimidated.

Posted by: Nymous | September 22, 2010 4:00 AM

Photo enforcement is a big worry for me. It captures a snapshot in time, and ignores many other factors, including the driver's skill and road conditions.

Safety for myself and others is always a concern for me, so I drive to conditions. But speed limits are usually too low, though sometimes too high!

Additionally, I have never been in an accident since I started driving 11 years ago, so I don't see why I should have the same speed limit as my exgf in college who had 3 crashes in as many years.

Posted by: antispy | September 22, 2010 4:07 AM