What's your take on the Lingerie Football League?

TRENTON, N.J. -- In the tunnels beneath the stadium, the pre-game locker room and rituals of the Baltimore Charm -- one of this year's expansion teams in the weird and wonderful Lingerie Football League -- offered a whole new version of pre-game festivities.

For one, the players in the locker room are buxom young women, wearing little more than René Rofé lingerie (tight-tight boy shorts, fringe-cut sports bra), shoulder pads, garters and small helmets with clear plastic visors across the face. Read the full story

By Abha Bhattarai  |  September 29, 2010; 11:47 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Do you text and drive? | Next: Are the proposed sanctions against China and other countries fair?

Comments

I think they should do this only if NFL player are required to play wearing nothing but jock straps and g-strings. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Posted by: SubRosa2 | September 29, 2010 3:55 PM

What would be really, really fun is to also put a couple of wild lions, or wild tigers ( near extinction, of course) in the arena, you know, just for "fun".

Puhhhleeeeeeaaaase. Can you say 'the fall of an empire' any more clearly than to have this self-flagellation occur in an organized, public way?

Is there an option to have sex with a player after the game ? It would seem par for this course.

I suppose you could, but this is an indication that folks just don't give a S*** about a lot of things.

How about this for an added bonus:

Have all the pre-teen beauty pageants there, too. That way men (and women, it appears) will get the idea that it's "okay" to boff an under-aged girl, who, with masks and clothes, (like this league) pretends to be something they're not - eligible 'players', and not so much athletes.

Looks more like circus clowns to me.

Give it a rest, grl power. It's like you're eating yourselves alive!

Posted by: pgibson1 | September 29, 2010 4:18 PM

Now I have the image stuck in my head of Albert Haynesworth in a thong, and not a single sharp object nearby to gouge out my eyes.

Posted by: BurninNation | September 29, 2010 4:18 PM

How sad. Totally not respectful to women. I'm amazed women in this day and age accept to play along. This is strictly a T&A ploy.

As a man, I'm very ashamed because I am positive that this is an idea stemming from the mind of the male species.

I strongly believe that this apathy towards objectifying women is a very dangerous path for society.

And, I would like to note that I am far, far from being a prude.

Posted by: Guylene | September 29, 2010 4:21 PM

This is as much as sport as adult kickball.

Posted by: HillmanDC | September 29, 2010 5:04 PM

Maybe NOW can set up their own team? And for NOW to start respecting the military women in war zones for killing bad men?

Posted by: Rockvillers | September 29, 2010 5:25 PM

Whatever. Let these ladies do what they choose to do. Is someone seriously suggesting that this is "man's" fault if he came up with the idea? Nonsense. No one is forcing them to do this -- they are grown adults. This sport may never get traction (albeit novel and slightly funny), but it's they're choice at the end of the day. Not whatever dude came up with the idea. Stop taking everything so seriously.

Posted by: PC71 | September 29, 2010 5:39 PM

As a man, it's nice to know that women can be every bit as stupid as we are. It's kind of like realizing that not all black folks can dance. Makes you feel a bit better about yourself, ya know?

Posted by: andym108 | September 29, 2010 9:32 PM

Um . . . so where's the poll?

Posted by: dude_too | September 29, 2010 10:32 PM

first, MLB abandons us for 33 years, and now there's no lingerie football in the nation's capital

I know we could support a team here, as long as the league didn't force us to give up TV rights to the Charm, or sell the franchise to a local ownership group that included the Lerners.

But seeing that it is Baltimore, I'd like to ask someone who's gone to a game if people there are cheering for the home team, or if's all bandwagon San Diego Seduction fans.

Posted by: tgt111 | September 30, 2010 4:52 AM

ALRIGHT! Now lets get rid of the pro football crap and we'll have something worth watching

Posted by: gustroh | September 30, 2010 6:24 AM

Why not add spikes on elbows and put landmines dispersed through the field--that why you can fulfill the fantasy of every adolescent male in America.

What could be better than T&A, explosions, gore and death--That would be a mega ratings hit.

Of course you would have a problem recruiting after the first show due to the fear of dying but hey we can just get the supreme court to rule that all female citizens with nice hooters no longer have rights and must be subservient to the corporation and then force them to play.

A WIN/WIN for America.

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | September 30, 2010 6:49 AM

My new fantasy football league!

Posted by: jimward21 | September 30, 2010 7:26 AM

People, er, we men, take FOOTBALL so seriously! And it is a vicious, stupid sport at every level; the professionals, whose owners want to exterminate them by extending an already too-long season, are in even worse shape than the Pop Warners. The endless source of fodder in the minor leagues, i.e., colleges and universities, and the cheer-leading by the sports channels and beer (?) producers make it so much the worse.

Hooray for these women, showing that the emperor has no clothes and sending up the entire farce.

Posted by: mini2 | September 30, 2010 7:29 AM

I voted "other":

It clearly sets FOOTBALL back.

Posted by: WmarkW | September 30, 2010 7:37 AM

the gays are jealous...

Posted by: DwightCollins | September 30, 2010 8:02 AM

Hey, male football players wear skin tight pants. I know women who watch football mainly (or is it 'manly'?). They know next to nothing about football.

Posted by: cbrooks46 | September 30, 2010 9:29 AM

53 percent of the people who took the poll are MEN!

Posted by: forgetthis | September 30, 2010 9:30 AM

As a man, I am entirely unentitled to have an opinion on wether or not this is degrading to women. However, I also don't think I'd watch women's football if there wasn't a incentive like this to entice me to watch. Having watched it in the past, I can say that these women really can throw down and play ball, and after about 15 minutes or so, I didn't really concentrate on the lingerie so much as the actual game taking place. I still couldn't tell you which team won, though.

Posted by: pswift00 | September 30, 2010 9:52 AM

What's sad here is that this garners more attention than the REAL women's football league the IWFL. Yes, we have a team here called the DC Diva's but it could use a bit more support.... and PRESS COVERAGE!!!

If as many men could get as excited for the real deal as they do for this lingerie league (which is designed more to titillate them then to be a legitimate sport) then we'd all gain. The athletes who play football and all fans who want to see good football played by anyone who's willing and able could all be winners.

Unfortunately, this paper is among the many media outlets that would rather sell commercials than cover real sporting events, and we all know that sex and controversy sells a lot better than real competition between dedicated and passionate athletes. It's sad, really, both that the paper wants to continue to be part of the problem with it's coverage, and that the masses people (in this case mostly males, but females are also to blame for not supporting athletes among their ranks as well...) continue to not respect women who play sports, and play them well.

Posted by: Cobalt1 | September 30, 2010 10:09 AM

I fully support the ability of women in a free society to participate in such a spectacle. That said, I can't be a fan of the spectacle itself.

A format that emphasizes sexuality over competition just doesn't have any appeal for me as a sports fan.

My real contempt though is reserved for he Washington Post which wasted valuable newsprint to document this out of town irrelevancy. Clearly, the limited resources of the Washington Post aren't yet limited enough.

Posted by: evwill | September 30, 2010 10:31 AM

I'm just sad that there's still no lack of women who will degrade themselves this way. I am sure many of them are really great athletes, but when does it occur that it's just not fair that you have to play in your undies to get anyone to watch a game? If they are so good at their sport, then what they wear shouldn't matter, as long as they are wearing something.

I didn't miss the irony in the fact that in the SAME section, Sarah Kaufman writes about a Mexican Dance troupe's heavy reliance on the female body and how it DETRACTS from the actual show. I guess woman's boobs support a LOT of industries, not just stripping and fake football leagues.

Thank goodness for real women's sports leagues and teams like the Mystics and their supporters, both male and female. Respecting women and sports at the same time.

Posted by: catweasel3 | September 30, 2010 11:05 AM

Cobalt1 - Thank you for speaking up. I NEVER heard of the D.C. Divas, but now, I hope to take my girls to see a game.

It is too bad that the Post didn't see fit to write an article about a legit women's football team. Wow.

Posted by: catweasel3 | September 30, 2010 11:29 AM

I think this is horrible. I think the only form of entertainment that women should participate in would be to have women wearing burkhas sitting around reading aloud from great feminist works of literature.

Posted by: David90 | September 30, 2010 12:45 PM

What a mix of feelings on this. I think it's great that women can showcase athletic ability but rough it has to be sexually marketed (like the WWII women's pro baseball league having to wear short skirts). I'd like to say people could admire physiques (e.g. it's not sexual) but I haven't seen massive coverage on crowds at a women's bodybuilding contest. I don't think the organizers should be out there coaching players to be offensive to each other, I think it'd be a lot more interesting to see how women develop an impact sport. Hat's off to the Marine in the article who's annoyed about the girlfriend on a poster but more ticked off the coach isn't playing her. Keep that support up buddy (without going ape on the coach) and you've got a great future.

Posted by: southVAHmptn | October 1, 2010 2:09 PM

I was flabbergasted as I read this article. I agree with an earlier 'poster' that this is reminiscent of the women's baseball league of WWII who had to play in skirts, though this is much worse AND I'd thought we'd evolved since then. These women are scantily clad AND unprotected playing a sport in which their male counterparts wear clothing and protection because there is so much physical contact. But, mostly, this makes me sad because it reminds me that our society has not progressed as far as I'd hoped in the area of sexism/equality. Being judged primarily for one's effort, attitude, intellect, character and not for 'how they look on the outside' is something I've hoped for for my daughters and every young woman (and man, for that matter), and assumed was the trend.

And, yes, Washington Post, make a conscientious choice as to what you put in your paper, not just a money-making choice.

Posted by: RSims | October 2, 2010 10:52 AM