Who's the villain in this story?

Readers are weighing in on the story about Martena Clinton's car being towed and lost by DC police. Many readers are upset that DC police lost Clinton's car, but many others are upset that Clinton parked in a handicapped spot despite being able-bodied. What do you think? Who's the villain in this story?

By Andrea Caumont  |  September 20, 2010; 11:03 AM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: What do you think of China's private bodyguards? | Next: What is your biggest worry related to your child's internet activity?

Comments

Is there clear evidence that the car was in fact towed or did this dope just forget where she parked ? Her "search" after the event wasn't very thorough if the car was a block or two away all along --or was it ?
Move along , people. There's nothing here to see.

Posted by: jmsbh | September 20, 2010 11:41 AM

I have no sympathy for her. The story they should have done is about the vast number of people who misuse handicapped tags. I'd like to see a section of each large parking lot reserved for people who have been caught misusing handicapped spaces. That section would be as far from the entrance as possible.

Posted by: whitcwa1 | September 20, 2010 12:07 PM

Ms. Clinton experienced karma.

Posted by: saqqa | September 20, 2010 12:16 PM

The Washington Post is the villain for publishing this stupid story.

Posted by: j_scott | September 20, 2010 12:42 PM

Where's your car?

Seems that somebody moved it out of the handicapped spot because it didn't belong there.

Handicapped parking belongs to handicapped people, not their healthy family members who are going to nice parties.

Posted by: postfan1 | September 20, 2010 2:16 PM

The WashingtonPost is for trying to make her out as a victim when she in fact should have never used that spot to begin with. And these laughable pics of her, like really WP, you couldnt have scripted those pics any worse lol.

WP: Hey Ms. Clinton pose for me as you being upset and distraught at finding out your car has been lost

Ms. Clinton: OK how does this look....(arms all out and looking like she's about to cry)

WP: Perfect.

Posted by: clos82 | September 20, 2010 3:18 PM

I read this article at lunch, and the FIRST thing I noticed was this woman CLEARLY being able-bodied. The law is pretty clear, too, in most jurisdictions: you can't use a disabled-parking tag if the disabled person is not with the able-bodied person at the time it is parked!!! I once knew someone that had a disabled husband, and they had a VA disabled-parking hanging tag, and she would use the tag all the time, including when her disabled husband was not in the vehicle with her. Her rationale as to why this was OK: "If I need to get home for an emergency, I need to be able to ge to my car quickly"(!). I pointed out the actual law to her, which VA states is that the tags can only be used when the diabled person is in the vehicle, and she accused me of being "inflexible".

This woman was going to a PARTY, and her 95 year old apparently-disabled mother was not with her...so she parked illegally. Gotta wonder about this alleged police officer and his ignorance of the law (I can't imagine that DC rules allow non-disabled people to use disabled-parking tags) in allowing this lazy able-bodied woman to park illegally with a disabled parking tag.
And the Post, publishing this as somehow a story where this lazy able-bodied woman was victimized? The Post slipped here, and the editor and reporter that let this story go to print should be reprimanded.

Posted by: Nick5 | September 20, 2010 4:27 PM

A great example of karma. She shouldn't have used her husband's handicap sticker if he wasn't there.

Posted by: Dave20109 | September 20, 2010 5:59 PM

The car was most likely stolen. The only relevance of the fact that the space was labelled handicapped is that one would expect the police to be more careful about what they did with the car. They had no way of knowing that its driver was not really handicapped. So moving it to some random location would be imposing a substantial burden on its driver. The coincidence of the police having no record of moving the car and not being able to find it strongly suggests that the car was simply stolen and never moved to begin with.

Posted by: dnjake | September 21, 2010 7:49 AM

Karma has come and gone. We have now reached the point of confession and accountability.

Someone in the police force should be held accountable for losing the car.

Ms. Clinton should be ticketed since she has confessed.

Aloha.

Posted by: Over-n-Out | September 21, 2010 8:07 AM

I very often see people with handicap tags who are perfectly healthy and ambulatory. It is the biggest scam going. I hate those tags. Damn the doctors who give this stuff away.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | September 21, 2010 9:29 AM

sounds to me like the cops handed out some street justice to an abuse of the hang tag

Posted by: rowandk | September 21, 2010 9:32 AM

It was both. The cops had no idea she was abusing her husbands tag and she did abuse the tag which is against the law. How would she feel if her husband was trying to go somewhere and he could not get a handicap spot thanks to another abuser?

Posted by: flonzy1 | September 21, 2010 9:39 AM

To follow up with all the other commenters about Clinton's misuse of the tag, and one person's posting the Maryland MVA contact info: I emailed John Kuo and got back the following:

"Based upon the information in the article, it certainly appears that there was mis-use of the disabled tag/placard privilege, which was legally issued to another individual other than the driver in this case. The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) as an administrative agency of the State of Maryland will be unable to pursue any further action unless there is an indication of mis-use by the actual individual who was originally issued the disabled tag or placard.

The appropriate law enforcement agency can issue a citation to the individual who is mis-using disabled tag/placard privileges.

We have also alerted MVA's Office of Investigations to determine how we can assist law enforcement agencies in this case."

Thanks to the power of social media for getting the message across to all those self-entitled folks out there: You are being watched and your behavior is being noted.

Posted by: cr1957ny | September 21, 2010 10:19 AM

Martena Clinton's car should not have been moved by the police. It was displaying a handicapped tag.

On the other hand, Martena Clinton deserved every bit of distress and inconvenience she was put through. Only dirtbags use handicapped spots when they're not transporting the actual handicapped person.

Go ahead and try taking the cops/Secret Service to court over this. We'll issue the cops and Secret Service a written reprimand, and we'll fine you for unlawful use of a handicapped sticker.

Posted by: mhoust | September 21, 2010 10:41 AM

When I read the article, the first thing that jumped out at me was that she was misusing the handicapped tag.

The police/Secret Service WERE wrong to tow and "lose" her car, and they certainly should be held accountable for that. Separately, however, she needs to be ticketed for using the handicapped placard impermissibly.

I would like to point out, though, that it's situations like this that hurt REAL handicapped people with "invisible disabilities" -- I have a handicapped placard because I have a disability that makes walking very painful and exhausting. However, I can "look fine" if I'm just getting out of the car to go into the grocery store, because I'm not (usually) in a wheelchair or using a cane. I hate the idea of people thinking that I'm misusing the placard, like the woman above, just because they can't SEE what's wrong with me.

Please don't judge based on appearances -- otherwise, people with severe asthma, cancer, MS, etc. can wind up having nasty remarks thrown their way by people who don't think they look like they "deserve" their handicapped tag.

Posted by: seven_jaguar | September 21, 2010 10:42 AM

she admits her guilt,
give her a ticket and be done with it,

Posted by: piusj | September 27, 2010 1:04 PM