Would you get an HIV test at the DMV?

Starting Tuesday, getting tested for HIV in the District will be as easy as renewing a driver's license.

In what District officials say is the first effort of its kind nationwide, the city will partner with a nonprofit to offer free HIV testing at the Department of Motor of Vehicles in Penn Branch - with participants receiving up to $15 to help defray DMV costs.

By Abha Bhattarai  |  September 29, 2010; 7:38 PM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: This story is... | Next: Government contracts: What's most
important?

Comments

If and only if, the lab test is 100% confidential; that means my private information (such as name, address etc) is not tied to the test or result in any shape or form, the samples are not used for any other lab except for the HIV test. This means no medical agency can profit off of any metrics as a result of the test, no medical university can resell the results, no insurance company can look up your test...

Can you tell us EXACTLY what the business(es) doing the testing gets in return?

Posted by: lycanr1 | October 1, 2010 2:11 AM

Probably not, but that's because I already hate going to the DMV for motor vehicle stuff; I certainly wouldn't add even more errands to do there. Find a spot that I already frequent that at least works efficiently or makes the wait bearable.

Posted by: raia | October 1, 2010 6:08 AM

the accumulation of test results would prove once and for all how infected people are in d.c., Since you have the blood why not test for all std's...

Posted by: DwightCollins | October 1, 2010 7:13 AM

Is this the new great Obamacare? We go to the DMV for HIV testing...where do we go for a Pap Smear the Post Office?

Posted by: independent114 | October 1, 2010 7:29 AM

Forget the "Obamacare" cr_p, Iddependent114. This has nothing to do with universal health care. The rest of your comment makes sense but you show your bum by making it political.

Posted by: pjohn2 | October 1, 2010 8:28 AM

Don't know how independent114 reached such a foolish conclusion from reading this story, unless watching too much Fox turns off fact absorption ability. Try looking at what the bill actually covers. I'm employed and have health insurance, so if I want a test, my doctor can do it. You know, like in civilized countries where people understand that universal healthcare isn't some commie plot. This sounds like a good idea for people who don't have health insurance or don't want the results in their medical records. Why not?

Posted by: greyK | October 1, 2010 9:18 AM

I get tested every six months by my family doctor.

Posted by: Anglo_Rider | October 1, 2010 9:46 AM