After news of planned attack, are you less likely to ride Metro?

Federal law enforcement authorities are investigating a nascent plot to carry out a series of terrorist bombings at stations in the Washington Metro system, according to intelligence and law enforcement sources. The investigation is focused on a naturalized U.S. citizen, originally from Pakistan, who became the target of an undercover sting operation, the sources said. An administration official said the man drew the attention of law enforcement officials by seeking to obtain unspecified materials. The planned attack was not imminent, the sources said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the matter remains under investigation.

By Jodi Westrick  |  October 27, 2010; 2:41 PM ET  | Category:  Local Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati
Previous: Is John Grisham still a "must-read"? | Next: Will you be more careful when buying plastics?

Comments

I am not less likely to ride Metro because I have no choice. Given a choice I would not ride Metro anyhow because it's too expensive and the service is terrible. Unfortunately, I have no viable options, so if I want to get to work, i have to ride the Metro--threat of terrorism or not.

Posted by: PT_Ken | October 27, 2010 4:53 PM

If crashes, killings, crowded sweaty smelly people, delays, power outages, fatally slow trains, huge fair increases and escalators that are really just stairs haven't kept me from using the train, why would the fact that the FBI captured someone thinking about bombing the trains stop me? i think about blowing up metro every day. glad to know the FBI is much mroe capable than Metro.

Posted by: lizbok | October 27, 2010 5:03 PM

Seriously, I'm more concerned that Metro's incompetence will kill me before a terrorist attack will.

Posted by: redgrifn | October 27, 2010 5:24 PM

I agree what choice do u have, if needed for transportation.My opinion still stands with my peers it is going to be D.C. Not NY! Do the math if bothered by the notion of terriosm! The Metro is really not that impressive but at least its CLEAN!

Posted by: kikioz | October 27, 2010 5:57 PM

I'm more afraid of tourists standing on the left side of the escalator and irrational fare hikes than I am of terrorist plots.

Posted by: trambusto | October 27, 2010 6:54 PM

Ditto. I am more concerned about being killed by the incompetent Metro staff that a stupid smelly terrorist. If I catch a terrorist trying to make me late for work, his non-English speaking a$$ will end up on the center rail on his head. To quote my main man, Cedric the Entertainer, I wash a n**** would!! We are beating their punk a$$es down all over the world plus the FBI is to smart and Homeland Security is too vigilant to allow those Bama's to mess with us, but I wish they would allow one of them to slip through, preferably on a Monday morning when I'm hung over, running late and already mad, so I could put his a$$ inside the suitcase before I throw it on the center rail!

Posted by: madstamina | October 27, 2010 6:55 PM

Compare the probability of being killed or injured by a WMATA employee to the probability of being killed by a terrorist. The FBI needs to be investigating WMATA.

Posted by: tristesse27 | October 27, 2010 7:10 PM

Look, I can't let fear stop me from living my life. What truly disgusts me is people who scream about how bad Metro is and then scream even louder that we need to CUT TAXES! Okay, but then stop whining about our cruddy public transportation. Don't they teach this stuff in schools here?

Posted by: Trakker | October 27, 2010 7:36 PM

I will ride Metro when the employees receive training for terrorist emergencies and when the current Metro Board of Directors resign and are replaced.

The training they received was to as, "Is that your bag"? Wow!

At present; riders "You are on your own" in emergencies.

I'll pass.

Posted by: Dlb9y | October 27, 2010 7:59 PM

Incompetent managers replaced and a the Metro Board being replaced. That is a start.

Posted by: Dlb9y | October 27, 2010 8:01 PM

Metro has killed more metro riders and employees than any terrorist, and I still use it. But I agree with DLB9Y, if something happens, from an attack to a tunnel fire, anyone involved is a goner.. the ensuing chaos and typical poor communication and coordination from Metro will doom a lot of people.

Posted by: john65001 | October 27, 2010 9:13 PM

Good fearless DCers...
and the Post loses a chance to write a really anti Islam story, as they love to do, headline:
"DC cowed by Islamist threat."

Posted by: whistling | October 27, 2010 10:43 PM

What a moronic question.

Following your idea, next time a person gets run over by a car, we must destroy our own cars, keep indoors, and never ever go out and cross a street.

BE AFRAID! HAVE THE JITTERS! LOOSE YOUR SLEEP! BEWARE OF YOUR OWN SHADDOW!

Posted by: benkad | October 28, 2010 4:58 AM

the muslim scum and their apologist in this country believe americans are weak,spineless and stupid.the majority of us have no fear of murdering religious lunatics,and rest assured that ur crappy beliefs will never come true

Posted by: pofinpa | October 28, 2010 6:03 AM

Be Afraid seems to be what this government and the msm have been preaching since 2001. That mentality has gotten us into wars based on lies, cameras at every corner, tapped phone calls/emails, and Lord knows what else with no end in sight.

Posted by: twdindep | October 28, 2010 7:02 AM

I don't ride the Metro now because of all the racist blacks.

Posted by: rollmonte | October 28, 2010 7:22 AM

Of course I will keep riding Metro, as I have all my life, having no car and no interest in having one, much to the dismay of the auto industry.

Posted by: cranberry | October 28, 2010 8:37 AM

Has Juan Williams stopped flying?

Posted by: WmarkW | October 28, 2010 8:56 AM

Wow, lots of Metro haters out there. I'm not, having lived in cities whose subways are dirtier, noisier, and felt less safe. And yes, I'll certainly keep riding Metro because driving is certainly less safe for everyone, and dirtier and noisier for everyone outside my car.

Posted by: billfalls | October 28, 2010 9:02 AM

The alternative is to lock ourselves up inside our homes; order everything on-line and hope the delivery and mail persons are the good guys.

We live with the hand we're dealt.

I refuse to cower in fear and submit to the threats of a people who worship Satan, but call him Allah.

Posted by: asmith1 | October 28, 2010 9:13 AM

I'm frankly more concerned about the safety of the trains, which are clearly showing their age in many cases, than I am about a potential terrorist event. Also, I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling of competence from the train operators, who seem to be the most indifferent workers in town.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 28, 2010 9:16 AM

I took the Metro this morning from Pentagon City. Does that answer the question? Security through obscurity is not security at all. I mean, what if this news hadn't surfaced? Would we be ignorantly riding the system assuming no threat? Now, in the passive voice, we're told that we were under the threat of an attack. Pretty mindblowing logic, which assumes unassuming commuters. Yes, we are threatened; everyday we are threatened. I'm more afraid of careless drivers who park in the middle of the intersections of Tysons Corner during red lights and running over pedestrians than I am of a lot of these more sensationalized threats. I feel more threatened by egregious wealth nursing our economy and controlling our ways of life. Living with fear is not living at all, though.

Posted by: KABerger | October 28, 2010 10:12 AM

imagine you...
unemployed...
riding the metro...
a terorrist attack occurs...
you manage to survive...
barely...
you sue and they give you money...
isn't America great...

Posted by: DwightCollins | October 28, 2010 11:19 AM

I don't ride Metro now, so it's not an impact. In fact, Metro has killed more people to date than any terrorist has...

Posted by: WildBill1 | October 28, 2010 11:44 AM

I'm with the 20% who say yes, they are less likely to ride Metro because of this. Knowing the FBI is on the job and watching out for us ... wait, where is this going?

Posted by: jdwilson | October 28, 2010 11:56 AM

Riding the subway is the most sensible way to get to work.

I'm more likely to be hit by a car walking to and from metro.

Posted by: swissmiss150 | October 28, 2010 12:45 PM

If ever there is another fatal attack in the U.S. and it is proven to be that of Islamic terrorists, serious woe unto them. I certainly wouldn't want to physically resemble anyone from the middle east. There will be some major blowback in the streets of the U.S.

Posted by: TooManyPeople | October 28, 2010 12:48 PM

I feel a little sorry for the 20% who are going to be "less likely" to ride Metro. But mostly I feel contempt.

This plot got NOWHERE. It was one guy who fell right into the FBI trap. There was never any danger. And still, some of you are scared? How utterly pathetic.

The song says, "the land of the free and the home of the brave." If you can't be brave, you don't deserve to be free. And if you don't want to be free, then you're in the wrong dang country.

Posted by: bigbrother1 | October 28, 2010 12:52 PM

Whatever. You're more likely to get knocked onto the tracks at a crowded platform than blown up.

Posted by: dkp01 | October 28, 2010 12:58 PM

Amen BIGBROTHER1! What happened to "Give me liberty or give me death," and "Nothing to fear but fear itself."

Terrorists don't "win" when they kill people. They only win if they succeed in terrorizing. And unfortunately, so far, they are winning.

Posted by: emjem1963 | October 28, 2010 1:14 PM

If there is anything that has been learned over the last decade or so it is to fear the government's response to terrorism far more than the threat of terrorism itself.

Posted by: pete20 | October 28, 2010 1:35 PM